What will it take to get to the final 4 | The Boneyard

What will it take to get to the final 4

Reaction Score
If Uconn plays the way it has in the last three games can they make the final 4. What do you think it will take?

Reaction Score
1583358153436.png

Path to the FF

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If Uconn plays the way it has in the last three games can they make the final 4. What do you think it will take?

Yes. You gotta believe. There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who think they can, and those who think they can’t. They’re both right!

Reaction Score
If 3 of the Megan, Crystal, CW and Liv play in their above average scoring we will be in the final 4. If all 4 of them play above average we will be in the NC game ...

Reaction Score
I give you My Fair Lady. With a little bit, with a little bit, with a little bit of luck we win.
Yes. You gotta believe. There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who think they can, and those who think they can’t. They’re both right!
Carny, add to that those who tried and failed and those who never tried. I'd rather be the first because I believe that when you try you win no matter what the result.

Reaction Score
To get to the Final 4 this season, we will need:

1. 20+ points per game averages from both Megan and Anna

2. 12+ per game averages from CW and CD

3. 10+ per game average from ONO and Griffin

Reaction Score

That’s 84 pts between them

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

In other words......All 5 starters will have to show up and play well. I agree. Seems I heard that somewhere before. :rolleyes:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Let's not forget the other teams, our dear opponents.
Especially the three that have already triumphed over us this season.

-Facing a UConn team that makes shots, passes the ball, hustles and contests rebounds
may prove shocking and induce a letdown
-Foul trouble is a double edge sword; our opponents can also have such difficulties
-There is the proverbial off-night; we've had our share; time for the other guys to experience the sensation.

I could go on... but the point is made. We're playing better, we'll compete, perhaps prevail.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I assume UConn will make it to the sweet 16; I hope the players don’t make that assumption.

In the round of 16, they’ll likely face a three seed. I’m not familiar with Gonzaga, and NC State doesn’t strike me as a threat, but many of the potential 3’s run hot and cold. Someone like UCLA or Northwestern IMO could beat anyone on a really good night.

So even getting to the elite eight may involve a combination of UConn having a good night and their opponents not having an especially good night.

As for defeating one of the #1’s, as has been said, UConn needs to run their offense and most importantly hit shots. I think they’ve found their identity recently as a defensive team. If they keep their hands up, get in the passing lanes, and anticipate passes, they should get enough steals to get some breaks going. Denying the bigs of the #1’s will be a tall order, but I think even with Hebard or Boston going off for 25, if UConn checks all the other boxes, they can win.

Reaction Score
Personally, I hope UCONN faces and beats all the great teams (Oregon, SC, and Baylor) en route to a National Championship! :D

Back in high school, our girls bb team was one of the best in the state. However, there was another great team (top 10 in the state) that was also in our district. We played them twice in the regular season (we won both) and barely edged them in the district championship. But because the state tourney is geographically based, we would likely meet them for a FOURTH time in the regional final. As a fan, I was hoping that wouldn't happen because winning 4 games against a great team in the same season is a VERY hard task (see ND vs UCONN circa 2013).

However, when our team captain was interviewed after the regional semi, she said she wanted to play their rivals for a fourth time because they were THAT good. Her exact words were, "To be the best, you have to beat the best." They were going to earn that spot in the final four and prove to everyone why they deserved to be there :D

I honestly think our team has the same mentality. Play with no fear. Play the best and beat them!

Oh, and if you're wondering...our hs team won the regional final by 3 points (we secured a late rebound and hit 2 free throws to seal the game). Our girls went on to the final 4 and beat another powerhouse (featuring the future star Erlana Larkins) and won their first state championship in school history. ;)

Reaction Score
Personally, I hope UCONN faces and beats all the great teams (Oregon, SC, and Baylor) en route to a National Championship! :D

Back in high school, our girls bb team was one of the best in the state. However, there was another great team (top 10 in the state) that was also in our district. We played them twice in the regular season (we won both) and barely edged them in the district championship. But because the state tourney is geographically based, we would likely meet them for a FOURTH time in the regional final. As a fan, I was hoping that wouldn't happen because winning 4 games against a great team in the same season is a VERY hard task (see ND vs UCONN circa 2013).

However, when our team captain was interviewed after the regional semi, she said she wanted to play their rivals for a fourth time because they were THAT good. Her exact words were, "To be the best, you have to beat the best." They were going to earn that spot in the final four and prove to everyone why they deserved to be there :D

I honestly think our team has the same mentality. Play with no fear. Play the best and beat them!

Oh, and if you're wondering...our hs team won the regional final by 3 points (we secured a late rebound and hit 2 free throws to seal the game). Our girls went on to the final 4 and beat another powerhouse (featuring the future star Erlana Larkins) and won their first state championship in school history. ;)
What high school was that? .. what state?

Reaction Score
The best-case scenario for UConn would be some good matchups and other teams knocking off the bad bad matchups in their Brackets. Remember what happened when Louisville knocked off Baylor. Teams can get hot and if they are a good matchup can knock off much better teams on any given night. Baylor, SC and Oregon are not good matchups for UConn, but they might not be for other teams that Uconn matches up well with.

Hey! Louisville got lucky that Cal focused on guarding against Schimmel hitting three' and that left open the other player who killed them. Schimmel was a streak shooter and she had already cooled down when they faced Cal. They could have left her open and she probably would have shot Louisville right out of the game. Rather they focused their defense against a player who was going to be not much of a threat in that game. That was Schimmels history. When she is hot she will kill you, but when she is cold you just let her shoot and she kills her own team.

The same sort of scenario can happen at any time. One where a team knocks off a favorite on a great day but then comes back down to earth the next week. Uconn could be in the same side of the Brackets with the top three and catch a break and some team knocks them off. None of those teams are unbeatable on any given night by the right team. It is just unlikely because of match up issues that Uconn could do it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom