What we need to do to win the tournament | The Boneyard

What we need to do to win the tournament

Reaction Score
Hi,

How is that for a provocative title?

Let's assume we have a tournament.

Methinks we need to do one thing. If we do that, we win the tournament = joy for all in Huskieland.

That one thing does require many sub-things. But, if we do, s as they say in mathematics, it is a sufficient condition. :rolleyes: (I think it is essentially necessary to, unless we get really lucky. And who wants to count on luck?)

That thing is: we must bring our "A" game deep in the tournament. If we do, we will win. If we don't, we will not.

With SMT = Stewie, Mo, and Tuck, I never, ever worried whether we would bring our "A" game deep in the tournament. I knew we would, especially Stewie. All I worried about were injuries. No injuries = we win. Period. Tournament over. Give Stewie the MOP award. Done.

Now, sadly, when Lou and Phee were sophomores and juniors, one can argue (until the cows come home) that we had the best team. But, for reasons again that we can argue about until ..., we just did not bring our proverbial "A" game. So sad.

When L and P were seniors, it was a bit more complicated.

Thus, I don't think about, "Do we have enough height?" "Do we have enough depth?" etc. I don't focus on one player. Etc.

If we bring our "A" game = hats, t shirts, parades, watch Geno cut down the net, pull the seniors with joy (wait, there are no seniors, nbd).

I will post again on what I think we need to do to bring our "A" game.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
IMO it's rare that teams bring their "A" game from E8 to finals. UCONN has won titles without playing their "A" game as well.

I think one part of their game they didn't play well vs Miss State and ND was their guard play. In all of their championships other than 09-10 - they had a 1st team A/A guard I believe.

OFC there are other reasons -- and the last few years size/power has been a big issue. That's probably an issue vs Miss State. And maybe an intimidator vs ND.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think it all comes down to integrating the new players. I have no doubt that Paige will adapt and that the team and coaching staff will adapt to her.

Nika Muhl is all about passing and defense. That sure sounds to me like a seamless transition to the UConn system. There's a perfect spot waiting for Edwards, and her playing on the Canadian Team with Kia and Ace bodes well. Westbrook has a lot of talent, I think her health is still a question mark. McClean is a high-energy player who never saw a rebound that she didn't think was hers, who can be huge shot in the arm off the bench.

I think if we get three of the four in the previous paragraph playing well along with Griffin making a sophomore leap, that gives some room for error. That is, if Nelson-Ododa gets in foul trouble or if Williams is off her game or (. . .), then there's someone to come in off the bench and contribute.

If the offense isn't working, then UConn has the potential for the best full-court press we've seen in a long time. Ododa, Griffin, Muhl, Bueckers (great anticipation), Makurat (ditto) can wreak havoc on the opponents.

And there's the fresh legs thing, too, which I think UConn suffered from last year.

Reaction Score
I think it all comes down to integrating the new players. I have no doubt that Paige will adapt and that the team and coaching staff will adapt to her.

Nika Muhl is all about passing and defense. That sure sounds to me like a seamless transition to the UConn system. There's a perfect spot waiting for Edwards, and her playing on the Canadian Team with Kia and Ace bodes well. Westbrook has a lot of talent, I think her health is still a question mark. McClean is a high-energy player who never saw a rebound that she didn't think was hers, who can be huge shot in the arm off the bench.

I think if we get three of the four in the previous paragraph playing well along with Griffin making a sophomore leap, that gives some room for error. That is, if Nelson-Ododa gets in foul trouble or if Williams is off her game or (. . .), then there's someone to come in off the bench and contribute.

If the offense isn't working, then UConn has the potential for the best full-court press we've seen in a long time. Ododa, Griffin, Muhl, Bueckers (great anticipation), Makurat (ditto) can wreak havoc on the opponents.

And there's the fresh legs thing, too, which I think UConn suffered from last year.
Those who think about luck need to look no farther than ND getting another waiver for this year. : (

Looking at history, Geno, CD and the assistant coaches are the best on the planet at getting the team ready for the finals after winning the national semi-final game. Also, when OT is not involved, winning the National Semi-final game is at better than 80% of the time. With the talent on this team (although very young) the two games where the A game will be vital are at the Regional Championship (hopefully fans will be able to attend) and the National Semi-final game. Like many of the previous runs to the title game, solid defense will spur the offense and from what I am reading, ALL of the team get after their opponents on defense. Now the tale will be told in a successful tone if they all rapidly learn the UCONN way: tough defense without fouling.

Still waiting for the announcement on the schedule, and whether a "bubble" will be involved over Christmas break. The first game can't start early enough for me (Thanksgiving's Friday would be good - while others are out shopping, so I can replay it as many times as I desire.....as winning never gets old)

Reaction Score
Bring "A" game? This is the last thing I worry about for a Geno coached UConn team. Am I concerned with the height and physicality of the other team? Do I worry about injuries? Will Paige adjust quickly and run the team like a senior? All those are on my mind but not whether a Geno coached team brings its "A" game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I agree about having the ability to press, which I think will be even better next year with Amari, Caroline, and Saylor in the mix. I've seen Saylor's free safety skills up close.

In terms of this year's defense, I think both Aaliyah and Mir will be valuable in the press. People try to throw the ball over Mir, but it doesn't work very well. She gets up very high, very quickly.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Score more points than the other teams, duh.
There was a commentator some time ago, I want to say maybe Don Meredith, who often said, “To win against X, they’ll have to outscore ‘em.” As you’ve pointed out, that remains true to this day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom