What we need from the Board the Prez and AD Dave | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What we need from the Board the Prez and AD Dave

Reaction Score
The problem was a lot deeper than that and the idea of bringing Kill on board was an attempt to bring the program to a more competent level by having him mentor Diaco. Kill didn't believe at that time that he was in a position to devote the hours normally needed for a position like that but as primarily a mentor, he could pull it off.

When Diaco refused, there was really no choice but to move on as he was living in a different reality than most of us.

The problem with RE was initially that he believed starting entirely from scratch was the only way to build a program, which set us back even further. Once we left the AAC, RE interpreted the move as basically giving up on football as he did not have the imagination to see our becoming successful with bowl tie-ins or conference opponents. At that point he became basically worthless.
Yeah Dave kept giving lifelines to the football HCs and they refused to accept the help. Why we didn't keep Mazzone around, either, is beyond me.

I think Mora is probably more self-aware than the last three guys but that one doesn't make sense to me

Reaction Score
No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Edsall was worse than the worst of Diaco. Hindsight is 20/20, but the hope was to recapture past glory. Hope should never be part of the plan.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
RE wasn't his call.
The call that DB was forced to make was Bob Diaco or Randy Edsall. If we were moving away from Diaco, the only option he was given was Edsall.

Given the disaster that Diaco was becoming, I can see why he made the move to Edsall. But looking back now, it may have been better to keep Diaco for another year (or two at the most) and then get a real coach to replace him. At the time, that was unthinkable given what Diaco was doing...but in retrospect, it may have been the better route given the kamikaze pilot Edsall became to the program.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Edsall was worse than the worst of Diaco. Hindsight is 20/20, but the hope was to recapture past glory. Hope should never be part of the plan.
Diaco was a complete train wreck and he was falling apart at the end of his tenure. Randy was a short term plan to make the football competitive again before it was handed over to the next coach. I don't think anyone had any idea that he was going to phone it in as much as he did.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
Edsall was worse than the worst of Diaco. Hindsight is 20/20,
It was clear that with Diaco we were on a sinking ship. At the time it made sense to immediately jump off a sinking ship--a natural reaction. Unfortunately, it turns out we were jumping into alligator infested waters with Edsall. It turns out we would have been better off floating in the sinking ship for a little bit until help arrived instead of jumping into the water and getting eaten alive by the alligators. Little did we know at the time.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The call that DB was forced to make was Bob Diaco or Randy Edsall. If we were moving away from Diaco, the only option he was given was Edsall.

Given the disaster that Diaco was becoming, I can see why he made the move to Edsall. But looking back now, it may have been better to keep Diaco for another year (or two at the most) and then get a real coach to replace him. At the time, that was unthinkable given what Diaco was doing...but in retrospect, it may have been the better route given the kamikaze pilot Edsall became to the program.
Diaco gave the admin no choice but to let him go. He rejected Kill and was resistant to any suggestions. The recruiting went south as his philosophy was length over speed. RE V2 offered an adult in the room. Unfortunately, he wasn't the right guy anymore and it showed.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
Diaco gave the admin no choice but to let him go. He rejected Kill and was resistant to any suggestions. The recruiting went south as his philosophy was length over speed. RE V2 offered an adult in the room. Unfortunately, he wasn't the right guy anymore and it showed.
I don't disagree with any of that. But seeing where Edsall brought the program and where we are now....I'm not convinced at this point that we would have been better off letting Diaco continue down his bat- crazy black hole for another year or two and then turning everything over to a real upcoming coach.

Heck, knowing how it all turned out, we would have been better firing Diaco and letting Any Baylock be a figure-head head coach and hiring a young and hungry OC and DC and letting them run with it for a bit until we could get the resources necessary to get a real head coach and funding.:eek:

Reaction Score
Will you share some of your meds?
They are liquid meds. First word is the name of a New England state. Second word is the meal in the middle of the day :)

Reaction Score
Diaco was a complete train wreck and he was falling apart at the end of his tenure. Randy was a short term plan to make the football competitive again before it was handed over to the next coach. I don't think anyone had any idea that he was going to phone it in as much as he did.
It's kinda if the person's job to ascertain if the person they are hiring can do the job. In any event, the misktake was letting him stay a minute past the end of season 2. Record level futility should nevet be accepted as "part of the process". Can't imagine how divided that team was under him. Benched a bunch of guys that helped get to a bowl game to go 1-11, in horrid fashion.

Reaction Score
Yeah Dave kept giving lifelines to the football HCs and they refused to accept the help. Why we didn't keep Mazzone around, either, is beyond me.

I think Mora is probably more self-aware than the last three guys but that one doesn't make sense to me

Not keeping Mazzone around haunts me. If he was here last week we’d have scored 25+ points. He worked magic in one or two weeks. Actual magic. Some people don’t remember what that felt like to go from being the most putrid mess to competing with Wyoming and almost winning seemingly overnight. His competence was on full display. No one on the staff even had the ability to try and replicate his offense? It was awful again the minute he left.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not keeping Mazzone around haunts me. If he was here last week we’d have scored 25+ points. He worked magic in one or two weeks. Actual magic. Some people don’t remember what that felt like to go from being the most putrid mess to competing with Wyoming and almost winning seemingly overnight. His competence was on full display. No one in the staff even had the ability to try and replicate his offense. It was awful.

Oh I remember.

Mazzone isn’t even really at the top of the craft. He’s competent.

I think he is just more into selling playbooks and consulting for high schools these days.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's kinda if the person's job to ascertain if the person they are hiring can do the job. In any event, the misktake was letting him stay a minute past the end of season 2. Record level futility should nevet be accepted as "part of the process". Can't imagine how divided that team was under him. Benched a bunch of guys that helped get to a bowl game to go 1-11, in horrid fashion.
Yeah, it ended up being a train wreck. I think Covid bought him an extra year when arguably, his handling of it could've been grounds for dismissal.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with any of that. But seeing where Edsall brought the program and where we are now....I'm not convinced at this point that we would have been better off letting Diaco continue down his bat- crazy black hole for another year or two and then turning everything over to a real upcoming coach.

Heck, knowing how it all turned out, we would have been better firing Diaco and letting Any Baylock be a figure-head head coach and hiring a young and hungry OC and DC and letting them run with it for a bit until we could get the resources necessary to get a real head coach and funding.:eek:
RE brought in Ryan Van Demark, Travis Jones and Christian Haynes. All in the NFL. He still had eye for talent, but he was stuck in time. Once we left the AAC, Edsall was done. You can't really blame him as we did pull the rug out from underneath him. And, what coach would have hung around after the terms of engagement were changed from when they were hired? Bottom line, it was a bad move by the University and Benedict has been playing catch up ever since.

Reaction Score
A transparent vision, strategy and plan that outlines where the Athletic Department is headed.

Then promote /sell it to the major constituents
1. The Politicians
2. The major coaches
3. The fan base
4. The cable and internet content providers
5. The conference presidents

Get strategic Get bold. Get aligned. Get communicating. Fund football. Get fund raising and be hungry Huskies.

AD Dave’s letter was weak. Let em all
know we ain’t going quietly. And get started now.

They don’t think we deserve a spot? . Make it so that they look stupid not inviting us

Back to my meds now
I agree with this. And it was a good thing that the governor was brought in on the process. We don't know what the "runway" was, but Dave Benedict knows. It needs to become the basis of a plan for football. Benedict ranted: "I’m tired of being disrespected as a brand, nationally, because of football". Maybe this kick in the pants was what they needed.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. And it was a good thing that the governor was brought in on the process. We don't know what the "runway" was, but Dave Benedict knows. It needs to become the basis of a plan for football. Benedict ranted: "I’m tired of being disrespected as a brand, nationally, because of football". Maybe this kick in the pants was what they needed.
A follow up interview/presser is warranted with all that this thread is suggesting. Kind of like an anti-Yormark approach - honesty about a plan and whether or not the support exists to pull it off in the very real world we are trying to survive in.

Reaction Score
A follow up interview/presser is warranted with all that this thread is suggesting. Kind of like an anti-Yormark approach - honesty about a plan and whether or not the support exists to pull it off in the very real world we are trying to survive in.
They need a plan that involves the President, the Athletic Department, the Board of Trustees, the governor and the legislature. A plan that involves goals and a financial commitment to the state university to succeed at football. If this latest round of realignment hasn't shocked them, then nothing will. David Benedict can't be the only one trying to figure out where the money is going to come from. If the will and financial commitment aren't there, then football should be dropped. There is no point to limping along for the next 5-10 years.

Reaction Score
They need a plan that involves the President, the Athletic Department, the Board of Trustees, the governor and the legislature. A plan that involves goals and a financial commitment to the state university to succeed at football. If this latest round of realignment hasn't shocked them, then nothing will. David Benedict can't be the only one trying to figure out where the money is going to come from. If the will and financial commitment aren't there, then football should be dropped. There is no point to limping along for the next 5-10 years.
If they were now going to start planning, they done messed up Ja-Queline. Maybe your right though, they may now finally realize that having elite, non matched hoops isn't good enough if you treat football like an afterthought.

Reaction Score
It's an odd spot. They need to get more buy-in to stop messages that undercut the move from politicians, the media and the boosters, clarify what they are doing, why, and why it's good for basketball. That said, at the same time, they can't alienate their current partners or do anything that might signal to recruits that playing for UConn means playing at a "lesser" level (i.e. if that school doesn't want to be there, why would I?). This, of course, means you can't exactly come out with a public information campaign about why a different conference home is necessary to try to head-off those damaging messages should something leak early.

The leak (on both sides) was absolutely intentional and designed to head-off any momentum as Yormark & Endeavor tried to make their sales pitch to the Big XII presidents.

Reaction Score
I looked it up, and my first post saying it looks like we have a problem with Diaco was December 19, 2013. Maybe I am a genius, or maybe it was obvious Diaco was a disaster from the moment he stepped on campus. People can decide for themselves.

UConn should have A) never hired Diaco and made Wiest the Head Coach instead, and B) left for the Big East and football independence with the C7 when the league was splitting up. We would be in the ACC today if we had done that.

Or in the B12 with the cincy/houston additions

CL82

Reaction Score
It's an odd spot. They need to get more buy-in to stop messages that undercut the move from politicians, the media and the boosters, clarify what they are doing, why, and why it's good for basketball. That said, at the same time, they can't alienate their current partners or do anything that might signal to recruits that playing for UConn means playing at a "lesser" level (i.e. if that school doesn't want to be there, why would I?). This, of course, means you can't exactly come out with a public information campaign about why a different conference home is necessary to try to head-off those damaging messages should something leak early.

The leak (on both sides) was absolutely intentional and designed to head-off any momentum as Yormark & Endeavor tried to make their sales pitch to the Big XII presidents.
Lamont needs to reach out to Murphy to ask him not to undercut the State's efforts to secure tens of millions of dollars every year. Murphy's incredibly tone deaf and shortsighted on this issue.

Reaction Score
A transparent vision, strategy and plan that outlines where the Athletic Department is headed.

Then promote /sell it to the major constituents
1. The Politicians
2. The major coaches
3. The fan base
4. The cable and internet content providers
5. The conference presidents

Get strategic Get bold. Get aligned. Get communicating. Fund football. Get fund raising and be hungry Huskies.

AD Dave’s letter was weak. Let em all
know we ain’t going quietly. And get started now.

They don’t think we deserve a spot? . Make it so that they look stupid not inviting us

Back to my meds now
One thing you left out. We need a billionaire. Like make Jeff Bazos an honorary grad … see if that works!

Reaction Score
One thing you left out. We need a billionaire. Like make Jeff Bazos an honorary grad … see if that works!
I think we need to pursue private equity/capital because we don't have the massive donors and we actually fit the profile of a private equity target - we have upside revenue potential. And, honestly, we need better marketing and outreach functions within the AD and the university as a whole. UConn and CT overall are rich in work ethic and results, but below par in telling the story. Bring in outside money and expertise to maximize AD results and financials. Money goes to money. If we bring in the PE, we get into a power conference and the UConn AD boats will rise to amazing heights.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom