What we need from the Board the Prez and AD Dave | The Boneyard

What we need from the Board the Prez and AD Dave

Reaction Score
A transparent vision, strategy and plan that outlines where the Athletic Department is headed.

Then promote /sell it to the major constituents
1. The Politicians
2. The major coaches
3. The fan base
4. The cable and internet content providers
5. The conference presidents

Get strategic Get bold. Get aligned. Get communicating. Fund football. Get fund raising and be hungry Huskies.

AD Dave’s letter was weak. Let em all
know we ain’t going quietly. And get started now.

They don’t think we deserve a spot? . Make it so that they look stupid not inviting us

Back to my meds now

Reaction Score
A transparent vision, strategy and plan that outlines where the Athletic Department is headed.

1. The Politicians
2. The major coaches
3. The fan base

Get strategic Get bold. Get aligned. Get communicating. Fund football. Get fund raising and be hungry Huskies.

They don’t think we deserve a spot? . Make it so that they look stupid not inviting us

Back to my meds now

Winning winners that win

Reaction Score
Here is what I need.

Death Penalty to any booster or official that leaks this to a third rate podcast grifter in the future.

Don’t answer the phone the first time Yormark or whoever calls. Don’t even agree to anything unless the votes are there.

“Oh you’re interested in stringing us along again while we humiliate ourselves and devalue our brand? —— Off!” Click

Absolutely murder the competition during basketball season.

Reaction Score
1, Start playing home and away BBall games against Big 10 and SEC teams. As many as possible.

Reaction Score
Word? Wow, I bet they hadn't considered THAT ONE!
At some point, it’s been so bad, I do wonder if there wasn’t some sabotage. I know Benedict is all in on football, it is everyone else at the school?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There was unintended sabotage.

During Diaco's last season here he went completely off the reservation and DB realized that he needed to replace him before he completely destroyed the program. The BOT wasn't happy with the idea of buying out cranberry pants so they handcuffed DB both financially and in the search for a replacement. RE ended up being the only reasonable possibility as a replacement at that time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here is what I need.

Death Penalty to any booster or official that leaks this to a third rate podcast grifter in the future.

Don’t answer the phone the first time Yormark or whoever calls. Don’t even agree to anything unless the votes are there.

“Oh you’re interested in stringing us along again while we humiliate ourselves and devalue our brand? —— Off!” Click

Absolutely murder the competition during basketball season.

UConn was not the source of the leak. And the ongoing dialogue doesn’t hurt us that much.

Reaction Score
UConn was not the source of the leak. And the ongoing dialogue doesn’t hurt us that much.
hard to picture a scenario where a Big 12-related source spilled the beans to Our Podcaster

Reaction Score
Agree on the letter. By far the lamest thing of his tenure.
Nah, that would be giving contract extensions to Diaco and Ollie a couple of minutes after taking the chair

Reaction Score
I am actually comfounded by AD Dave's leadership.
Pluses:
-Came from Auburn, so knows what is needed for a successful team
-hired Rhett Lashlee as O. coordinator & foisted him on HCREII
-hired Dan Hurley & got multiple national championships
-left Geno alone to do his thing
-runs a clean department compared to other schools
-hiring of Jim Mora to bring a semblance of order to the football program & usher in the NIL era
Minuses:
-forced football into independent oblivion with the return to the Big East
-inability to get the HCREII regime into 21st century football methodology
-allowing LucyXII to humiliate UConn in Conference realignment multiple times
-generally alowing UConn football to stagnate under multiple head coaching regimes

End of rant: I'll go back to my tailgate planning now...

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score

During Diaco's last season here he went completely off the reservation and DB realized that he needed to replace him before he completely destroyed the program. The BOT wasn't happy with the idea of buying out cranberry pants so they handcuffed DB both financially and in the search for a replacement. RE ended up being the only reasonable possibility as a replacement at that time.
Too true mate. The rehiring of RE, who already disrespected the team and school with the way he cowardly left after the Fiesta Bowl, was laughable. They essentially gave the man the keys to humiliate the program again, only he took it next level and destroyed it. The board were makers of our own doom, or at the very least dimwitted collaborators.

Reaction Score

1. The Politicians
2. The major coaches
3. The fan base

Back to my meds now
Will you share some of your meds?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I am actually comfounded by AD Dave's leadership.
Pluses:
-Came from Auburn, so knows what is needed for a successful team
-hired Rhett Lashlee as O. coordinator & foisted him on HCREII
-hired Dan Hurley & got multiple national championships
-left Geno alone to do his thing
-runs a clean department compared to other schools
-hiring of Jim Mora to bring a semblance of order to the football program & usher in the NIL era
Minuses:
-forced football into independent oblivion with the return to the Big East
-inability to get the HCREII regime into 21st century football methodology
-allowing LucyXII to humiliate UConn in Conference realignment multiple times
-generally alowing UConn football to stagnate under multiple head coaching regimes

End of rant: I'll go back to my tailgate planning now...
I think going Big East and Indy football was the right decision at the right time. Reenergized the fan base. Allowed to us schedule more rivalries and our peers in football. I would hate to have had an AAC schedule over what we’ve been able to get the last few years (albeit some years are a little imbalanced).

I think the biggest negative was hiring RE 2.0. Not sure he really had a choice though since I hear this was pushed by the BOT and donors.

All in all he’s the best AD we’ve had since big Lew, and probably better.

Coming up in the next 3-5 years, we will need football in a conference or figure out a way to get more access (to bowls; ESPN) and more money from CFP as an independent.

I think we will ultimately end up in the Big 12 or ACC in that time frame.

Reaction Score

Geez. In that case maybe Diaco for another year wouldn't have been the worst thing that happened, considering RE ended up completely destroying the program, and really quit when they went independent, which begs the question, if Benedict knew independence was in the cards why switch coaches so close to such a move. And if Diaco not wanting hire Kill as OC was such an egregious offense, why not hire Kill to be HC with Lashlee as OC or give Lashlee the head job? UConn has tried to do the "safe thing" so many times and failed, you have to wonder if they are risk averse in their approach to FB.

Reaction Score
Geez. In that case maybe Diaco for another year wouldn't have been the worst thing that happened, considering RE ended up completely destroying the program, and really quit when they went independent, which begs the question, if Benedict knew independence was in the cards why switch coaches so close to such a move. And if Diaco not wanting hire Kill as OC was such an egregious offense, why not hire Kill to be HC with Lashlee as OC or give Lashlee the head job? UConn has tried to do the "safe thing" so many times and failed, you have to wonder if they are risk averse in their approach to FB.
Kill and Lashlee. Unbelievable the opportunities we’ve let pass us by.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I think going Big East and Indy football was the right decision at the right time. Reenergized the fan base. Allowed to us schedule more rivalries and our peers in football. I would hate to have had an AAC schedule over what we’ve been able to get the last few years (albeit some years are a little imbalanced).

I think the biggest negative was hiring RE 2.0. Not sure he really had a choice though since I hear this was pushed by the BOT and donors.

All in all he’s the best AD we’ve had since big Lew, and probably better.

Coming up in the next 3-5 years, we will need football in a conference or figure out a way to get more access (to bowls; ESPN) and more money from CFP as an independent.

I think we will ultimately end up in the Big 12 or ACC in that time frame.
RE wasn't his call.

Reaction Score
Will you share some of your meds?
Maybe instead of being needlessly snarky and dismissive, offer some thoughtful input or if that proves too hard as is the case for some here, just bypass topics you don't like.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I looked it up, and my first post saying it looks like we have a problem with Diaco was December 19, 2013. Maybe I am a genius, or maybe it was obvious Diaco was a disaster from the moment he stepped on campus. People can decide for themselves.

UConn should have A) never hired Diaco and made Wiest the Head Coach instead, and B) left for the Big East and football independence with the C7 when the league was splitting up. We would be in the ACC today if we had done that.

Reaction Score
I looked it up, and my first post saying it looks like we have a problem with Diaco was December 19, 2013. Maybe I am a genius, or maybe it was obvious Diaco was a disaster from the moment he stepped on campus. People can decide for themselves.

UConn should have A) never hired Diaco and made Wiest the Head Coach instead, and B) left for the Big East and football independence with the C7 when the league was splitting up. We would be in the ACC today if we had done that.
That was Warde's parting gift, but I can't call someone like Benedict our greatest AD ever if he hasn't come close to getting football to respectable in any significant way. If football eventually got shuttered, that certainly wouldn't look great on a resume.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In that case maybe Diaco for another year wouldn't have been the worst thing that happened
No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The problem was a lot deeper than that and the idea of bringing Kill on board was an attempt to bring the program to a more competent level by having him mentor Diaco. Kill didn't believe at that time that he was in a position to devote the hours normally needed for a position like that but as primarily a mentor, he could pull it off.

When Diaco refused, there was really no choice but to move on as he was living in a different reality than most of us.

The problem with RE was initially that he believed starting entirely from scratch was the only way to build a program, which set us back even further. Once we left the AAC, RE interpreted the move as basically giving up on football as he did not have the imagination to see our becoming successful with bowl tie-ins or conference opponents. At that point he became basically worthless.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom