what was your favorite BE championship squad? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

what was your favorite BE championship squad?

Reaction Score
89-90 for sure. That is still my favorite Uconn team ever and that is saying a lot considering teams like 95,99,04,11 and 14. 90 was just so special and something those of you too young to remember cant even imagine. IIrc Uconn went down like 10-0 early to cuse in that game.

Reaction Score
I was going to add 2004, because seeing Benjamin Gordon go ape against Julius Page and others was a treat for me. One of my favorite and smoothest Husky scorers ever, bar none.

Okafor being hurt was the only chance other programs had that year, and when he was out and Gordon put to rest his "Gentle Ben" persona and went straight on-court killer, I knew they'd be a tough out the rest of the season. Then 'Mek came back and they went on a rampage as a 2 seed, which I witnessed in the first 2 rounds in Buffalo.

Yes, that was my second year living in Buffalo. I walked down to the arena with friends from my home, stopping at 3 bars on the way. We beat DePaul! I was so superstitious that I took the same trip again in 2014 in Buffalo. The arena here in town sure loves the Huskies.

Reaction Score
89-90 for sure. That is still my favorite Uconn team ever and that is saying a lot considering teams like 95,99,04,11 and 14. 90 was just so special and something those of you too young to remember cant even imagine. IIrc Uconn went down like 10-0 early to cuse in that game.
You recall correct. Sitting in my dorm lounge at that point down 10-0, I was happy just to reach the finals and didn’t want us to lose by 50 and embarrass ourselves and ruin the magic carpet ride. Fortunately, the players had loftier goals that they didn’t give up on after five minutes.

Reaction Score
Unabridged version of 89-90.

If those of you who weren’t around in 1990 want one minute that sums up what that team was like, watch from 25:15 to 26:15 of this video from the Cal second round NCAA game. Smith 3, press, Sellers steal, quick bucket ... Henefeld steal, Smith miss but Henefeld crafty tip rebound to a George bucket ... more pressing, Cal almost breaks it, but great Burrell hands for a steal and then all sorts of fast break goodness for a Burrell dunk at the other end.

This was a team picked eighth in the BE (out of nine) crushing it to advance to the second weekend. Brings a nostalgic tear to my eye.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If those of you who weren’t around in 1990 want one minute that sums up what that team was like, watch from 25:15 to 26:15 of this video from the Cal second round NCAA game. Smith 3, press, Sellers steal, quick bucket ... Henefeld steal, Smith miss but Henefeld crafty tip rebound to a George bucket ... more pressing, Cal almost breaks it, but great Burrell hands for a steal and then all sorts of fast break goodness for a Burrell dunk at the other end.

This was a team picked eighth in the BE (out of nine) crushing it to advance to the second weekend. Brings a nostalgic tear to my eye.

Team had 484 steals in 37 games.

1989-90 UConn Huskies Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

Reaction Score
Its funny looking at the quick stats and seeing Henefeld averaging 11-5-3 and then trying to explain what a transformative player he was. Steals aren’t in that stat line of course (138 in 37 games), but beyond that just his presence and his ability to make the right plays at the right times. The team and Nadav both started the year slow (brutal loss at Saint John‘s 93-62), and then Nadav emerged ... and all of a sudden we seemingly overnight transformed from the bug to the windshield.

Reaction Score
i was 15 in '04 those guys were my idols. the most enjoyable season start to finish ive experienced. went to the game against pitt with my dad, one of the best nights of my life

Reaction Score
89-90. 'You never forget your first'.

Took down G'Town and Cuse on back to back days when they were both top 5 at a time.
I agree - those games were epic and the garden was hopping.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t there ... but the legend of that Georgetown Civic Center game and the noise in the place during the 12-0 start has been passed down for generations. Might not translate well from old TV and VHS-type recordings.

Although JC’s favorite noise story is the NIT quarterfinal game in the Field House in 1988 where the noise shook all the dust off the rafters and they played the game in a cloud.
100%. As you can see from my handle, I was at both field house and HCC games. That Georgetown game was loud. This was all brand new to us.
People were going bananas, I mean bananas...Mike G

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Yes, that was my second year living in Buffalo. I walked down to the arena with friends from my home, stopping at 3 bars on the way. We beat DePaul! I was so superstitious that I took the same trip again in 2014 in Buffalo. The arena here in town sure loves the Huskies.

Went to 2004 by myself, scalped 2 tickets in the nosebleeds and wore my Ricky Moore (which I played off as a Josh Boone for the moment's sake) by myself and watched the games.

In 2014, I was living in the city so I wasn't far from the arena, and all my friends as adults went to those sessions, but I was too nervous as a fan that year with them being a 7, I chose not to try to get tickets. I couldn't bear watching them lose, so I didn't bother just in case. Of course, they would never lose after that.

As you said, that arena has been magic for the Huskies, and I for one won't miss the next one out of fear.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom