what was your favorite BE championship squad? | The Boneyard

what was your favorite BE championship squad?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
89-90. 'You never forget your first'.

Took down G'Town and Cuse on back to back days when they were both top 5 at a time.
I was in Vegas the week before. UConn was favored.

Reaction Score
Favorite team is '99, favorite BET is '11.

The Hamilton to Moore to El Amin to Freeman fast break to make it 11-0 against St. Johns is the most perfect fast break that's ever been run. I can still remember going crazy in the Garden with my old man when Jarvis called the timeout.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
89-90. 'You never forget your first'.

Took down G'Town and Cuse on back to back days when they were both top 5 at a time.

Absolutely.

Never forget the first. Taking down 'Cuse and G'town. For every UConn fan, up to that point, beating one of those two in the BET had been a pipe dream. Doing it back to back? The stuff of legends.

Reaction Score
Favorite team is '99, favorite BET is '11.

The Hamilton to Moore to El Amin to Freeman fast break to make it 11-0 against St. Johns is the most perfect fast break that's ever been run. I can still remember going crazy in the Garden with my old man when Jarvis called the timeout.
Maybe the best one play from the entire season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here's the Cliff Notes version on the Dream Season team. Just so fun to watch that team play. The SU and Gtown games at the Civic Center were nice but you can obviously see and feel the difference between the crowd for those games and the game against the Johnnies at Gampel.

Love seeing all the highlight of Gwynn doing the fist pumps.

Reaction Score
2004 was my favorite tournament team. We were going back and forth with Pitt winning the prior year and UConn beating them the year before. The Pitt fans at MSG were insufferable. UConn fell behind big. And late. The players had it under control. Emeka's back was hurting, but Josh Boone played out of his mind. UConn made a huge comeback on a top 5 Pitt team, and MSG was roaring.

Reaction Score
John Gwynn is probably 4-5 years older than me. He dated a girl I went to high school with and I played pick up with him many times. He was guardable and I could score on him relatively easily. To this day, I don’t understand how he played at UConn—-and played well. He had an incredible energy on the court but he wasn’t like other top guys I’ve played against. He was much more pedestrian. He’s the guy that makes me think, “I could have played at UConn”.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
2004 was my favorite tournament team. We were going back and forth with Pitt winning the prior year and UConn beating them the year before. The Pitt fans at MSG were insufferable. UConn fell behind big. And late. The players had it under control. Emeka's back was hurting, but Josh Boone played out of his mind. UConn made a huge comeback on a top 5 Pitt team, and MSG was roaring.

I was going to add 2004, because seeing Benjamin Gordon go ape against Julius Page and others was a treat for me. One of my favorite and smoothest Husky scorers ever, bar none.

Okafor being hurt was the only chance other programs had that year, and when he was out and Gordon put to rest his "Gentle Ben" persona and went straight on-court killer, I knew they'd be a tough out the rest of the season. Then 'Mek came back and they went on a rampage as a 2 seed, which I witnessed in the first 2 rounds in Buffalo.

Reaction Score
I was going to add 2004, because seeing Benjamin Gordon go ape against Julius Page and others was a treat for me. One of my favorite and smoothest Husky scorers ever, bar none.

Okafor being hurt was the only chance other programs had that year, and when he was out and Gordon put to rest his "Gentle Ben" persona and went straight on-court killer, I knew they'd be a tough out the rest of the season. Then 'Mek came back and they went on a rampage as a 2 seed, which I witnessed in the first 2 rounds in Buffalo.
Correct. That team was being compared toUNLV 1990. Most non-UConn fans wrote UConn’s name all the way to the championship before filling out the rest of the bracket

Reaction Score
Then Laettner ruined it...thus my handle.
I don’t recall this. Wasn’t he the guy who rode the bench on the Olympic team? All I remember is Tate George hitting the buzzer beater in the Sweet 16 and then jumping the passing lane and dribbling out the clock in the Elite Eight. A clutchier combination of offensive and defensive plays in back to back games you’ll never see.

Reaction Score
Here's the Cliff Notes version on the Dream Season team. Just so fun to watch that team play. The SU and Gtown games at the Civic Center were nice but you can obviously see and feel the difference between the crowd for those games and the game against the Johnnies at Gampel.

Man those clips bring back memories. If you wrote a script for that season people would be like no way could all that happen. Bottom half of the league program to that point, playing in a tiny on campus gym for half the games, brand new arena opens up, an unknown Israeli shows up to lead this crazy press that generates a ton of steals, 1990 UConn sets the stage for everything that happens going forward. That team had “it” with the chemistry you see passing the ball and working together to beat national powerhouses. Def. didn’t have the talent of 1999, 2004, 2006, 2009 UConn but boy oh boy could they play ball

Reaction Score

Wasn’t there ... but the legend of that Georgetown Civic Center game and the noise in the place during the 12-0 start has been passed down for generations. Might not translate well from old TV and VHS-type recordings.

Although JC’s favorite noise story is the NIT quarterfinal game in the Field House in 1988 where the noise shook all the dust off the rafters and they played the game in a cloud.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom