What Was Staley's Thinking For Last Play | The Boneyard

What Was Staley's Thinking For Last Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What was the intended play? Did she explain herself post-game? Some says the Irish defense of the play was terrific. I saw 4 other SC players essentially standing around, with no effort to draw the defense out if the plan was to drive to the hoop and lay it in or draw the foul. There was no visible effort to set a screen. Mitchell's effort to pass the ball looked like an ill timed improvisation. It looked like she was suppose to catch and fire, giving an offensive rebound possibility as a 2d chance. So, what happened there?

Reaction Score
Quick answer - she wasn't thinking. But I agree - why not feed Wilson down low? Even if she misses it there's a chance for a foul. Granted their free throw shooting wasn't good but if she makes one the game is tied and they have a shot in OT.

Reaction Score
They had plenty of time. When the clock got down to 7 seconds I would have just chucked it up and hoped one of my teammates was in a good spot for the put back.

Reaction Score
We don't know what Staley told her guard to do. She may have tried to play the hero and took it upon herself to make the shot. But it was pretty bad seeing her dribble out the clock like that

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Quick answer - she wasn't thinking. But I agree - why not feed Wilson down low? Even if she misses it there's a chance for a foul. Granted their free throw shooting wasn't good but if she makes one the game is tied and they have a shot in OT.
The FT shooting wasn't good largely because Coates couldn't hit any, but Wilson had hit 4 of 5. So yeah, does seem like a good option would have been to try to drive it in and look for Wilson. Of course, that is probably what Muffet also thought and designed the defense to prevent. But with Coates and Welch being a combined 0-7 on FTs, it's hard to think about going to them late in the game.

Reaction Score
She gave the ball to her best playmaker and told her to make a play, I think the problem was they should have gone quick and right at the basket, give yourself a chance to be fouled or get an offensive rebound, or at least be in a position to extend the game if you need to. To me it seemed like they were running a play for a tie game where overtime was the consequence of a bad possession.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
What was the intended play? Did she explain herself post-game? Some says the Irish defense of the play was terrific. I saw 4 other SC players essentially standing around, with no effort to draw the defense out if the plan was to drive to the hoop and lay it in or draw the foul. There was no visible effort to set a screen. Mitchell's effort to pass the ball looked like an ill timed improvisation. It looked like she was suppose to catch and fire, giving an offensive rebound possibility as a 2d chance. So, what happened there?

I'll have to go watch the replay again later this evening, but IIRC there was (at least one) high ball screen set for TM. But then ND not only switched, they also used the initial defender to trap/double/hedge back on TM rather than follow the screener. (Not sure the screener did anything or went anywhere with a purpose, however.) Which was smart because seemingly everyone thought TM would be getting the ball. Sooo.... Dawn and TM should have expected that, and there was ample time left for her to dump it off to someone (since there was lots of perimeter attention on her) or get some kind of shot up from a decent spot on the floor and let the bigs fight over it.

I don't fault Dawn for putting the ball in TM's hands - most coaches would have. It's the "what happens next" part that seemed ill-planned or ill-executed.

Having said all this, the most talented and best-coached team in WCBB often finds it difficult to execute designed plays at the end of halves with less pressure. So there's that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dawn explained it pretty well in her press conference: Horns Action-Double post high get Mitchell to turn the corner off one of the high ball screens. One of South Carolina's best play in the second half. Problem was Muffet thought the same thing and inserted Anna Huffman into the game with instructions to hedge-defender shows over the screen until trail defender can recover. Notre Dame executed two perfect hedges, Mitchell could never turn the corner (twice). Good call by dawn IMO, better call by Muffet.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Another PERFECT example of why FT's are really really important. SC missed 9 of 17, lost the game by one. Just a terrible performance.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Another PERFECT example of why FT's are really really important. SC missed 9 of 17, lost the game by one. Just a terrible performance.
Sure does. In the E8 wins SC shot 67% and ND shot 50% (12-24), so FT% has got to be the clincher to winning the big ones for those two teams.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Dawn was out-coached plain and simple. In fact, Welch need look no further than Dawn for the keys to winning this game...sure, thy players must deliver but the coach must give them a game plan and a substitution plan that gives them the best chance. Now before all the Staley lovers jump all over me...let me explain. In my opinion Coach Staley had all season to be able to figure out that So. Carolina plays best with Coates and Wilson in the game. Yet, she continued to bring them both off the bench at the 10 minute mark in the first half and start the second half with Coates only. I feel that by the time you get to post-season play...you go with your best five on the floor to begin each half...especially in the semi-finals. In the first half this substitution strategy gave ND 14 points (17-3). In the second half it gave ND 8 points that is a 22 point hole that did not have to be overcome had the substitution pattern been different. C'mon, ND only won by a point...just think what it would have been like if Dawn had gone with here best horses the entire way. Keeping Wilson on the bench for the first 10 minutes of the game has always been a source of confusion for me. Sure, I can see it in the first third to half of the season but, you have the number one incoming All American freshman at 6'4" who is one of your leading scorers, rebounder and block shot post player coming off the bench...enough said!!!

Also, allowing Cuevas to turn the ball over as many times as she did and to dribble as much as she did in a semi-final game was also unacceptable and finally, Dawn needs to understand that there a few coaches in the game who are deserving of respect and Muffet is one of them...to not think that Muffet would anticipate the ball not being in Mitchell's hands and not having option two which for the life of me with Turner out on fouls and their number one pesty point guard Linsey Allen out on fouls why that ball didn't go into the post will forever be a mystery... Mitchell is an All American, Staley is an former All American three time Olympic Champion All Everything point guard... Sorry, I just expected better....especially after all I have been hearing since the post season began is what a great coach Staley is and she might be but in this instance she was out-coached and her own personal coaching performance was sub-par. Just calling it the way I saw it...no offense intended

Reaction Score
At the end of the North Carolina game Mitchell got the ball and everyone cleared out, NC's defense did not provide ANY help and she got a layup. At the end of the game Staley said in situations like that you give the ball to your best player and let her make a play. They did something similar at the end of the Fl State game. Muffet must have heard the comments and thought if she gets the ball double team her and see if they have a plan B, and have someone else beat her. Even if your trying to set screens to free her up it's very helpful to the other team when they know whose taking the shot.

Reaction Score
She gave the ball to her best playmaker and told her to make a play, I think the problem was they should have gone quick and right at the basket, give yourself a chance to be fouled or get an offensive rebound, or at least be in a position to extend the game if you need to. To me it seemed like they were running a play for a tie game where overtime was the consequence of a bad possession.
I agree. Unfortunately,ND knew who was getting the ball too. End of game plays that work are usually broken plays, like the one where Cable scored or the end of NC state/Houston men. College players are just not that good at executing lays in crunch time.

Reaction Score
At the end of the North Carolina game Mitchell got the ball and everyone cleared out, NC's defense did not provide ANY help and she got a layup. At the end of the game Staley said in situations like that you give the ball to your best player and let her make a play. They did something similar at the end of the Fl State game. Muffet must have heard the comments and thought if she gets the ball double team her and see if they have a plan B, and have someone else beat her. Even if your trying to set screens to free her up it's very helpful to the other team when they know whose taking the shot.
Geno employed something similar near the end of the 2002 championship game where four of the top six WNBA picks that year were sent to one side of the court and Diana was given the ball on the other side.

Reaction Score
I think that the difference between the UConn point guards through the years, and everyone else, is that, for a brief second, ND doubled up on a switch and left the SC post player (not sure which player it was) wide open. Sue, D, Renee, MoJeff, all would have seen that and rifled a pass inside for an easy 2, and the game.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Of course you give the ball to Tiffany Mitchell, she is after all the winner of the Dawn Staley Award, symbolizing she's the best Guard in the Country this year.:)

Reaction Score
one trick pony, period.
One needs to devise a surprise, cannot use the same tricks three times in the same tournament.
Others expects that and thus easily employ a counter strategy.

Reaction Score
Never, never going to understand the thinking behind Coates and Wilson not starting. Never heard Staley give a rational explanation for it.
Ever hear of a hitter not changing his lucky underwear during a hitting streak? Dawn's problem was she didn't change her starting lineup "underwear" even after the winning streak ended.

Reaction Score
Coaches sometimes do what is expected of them in order to escape criticism, and as a self preservation action. Putting the ball in the hands of your best player is one of those things. You've got to be secure coach to call a play that may be a better bet, but doesn't involve your star player for fear of what will happen if the play fails.

I seem to remember Kelly Faris getting the ball for a layup when everyone thought the ball would logically be going to Maya. But perhaps Geno might be a tad more secure in his job than most coaches.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dawn was out-coached plain and simple.
R: How so? She brought the team back from multiple double digit deficits and lost by 1 point

C: In my opinion Coach Staley had all season to be able to figure out that So. Carolina plays best with Coates and Wilson in the game. R: Dawn figured it out well enough to get to final four and you want her to change the substitution in the National Semi-Final game?

C: In the first half this substitution strategy gave ND 14 points (17-3). In the second half it gave ND 8 points that is a 22 point hole that did not have to be overcome had the substitution pattern been different. R: I ‘m not sure how you are equating substitution to point differential. If you are using + & - then your numbers are drastically wrong. SC was in a double digit deficit until Cuevas came in and started running the offense. Mitchell was MIA- More on that later.

C: C'mon, ND only won by a point...just think what it would have been like if Dawn had gone with here best horses the entire way. Keeping Wilson on the bench for the first 10 minutes of the game has always been a source of confusion for me. R: Who did you want Dawn to take out of the get to get Wilson in the game?

C: Also, allowing Cuevas to turn the ball over as many times as she did and to dribble as much as she did in a semi-final game was also unacceptable. R: Cuevas had 3 assists and 3 Turnovers in 20 Minutes of play. Dawn will live with the good and the Bad from Cuevas. The good was she brought them back from a double digit difference while many starters were MIA.

C: Dawn needs to understand that there a few coaches in the game who are deserving of respect and Muffet is one of them...to not think that Muffet would anticipate the ball not being in Mitchell's hands. R: So if I understand you correctly Dawn disrespected Muffet by giving the ball to her best player? How is that disrespect? That is the ultimate sign of respect for the player and the opponent. I think there would be far more people ripping Dawn if she gave the ball to anyone besides Mitchell. When ND was down & game on the line they gave the ball to Loyd-ND’s best player, so was that Muffet disrespecting Dawn?

C: Staley is an former All American three time Olympic Champion All Everything point guard... Sorry, I just expected better....especially after all I have been hearing since the post season began is what a great coach Staley is and she might be but in this instance she was out-coached. R: If the instance you are talking about was the last play of the game then yes I agree that on that last play Muffet outcoached Dawn. Dawn’s last win (FSU) in this tournament was against the WCBB coach of the year and the game you are speaking of was a 1 point loss to WCBB coach of the year from last season. Dawn is doing all right as a coach IMO.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Never, never going to understand the thinking behind Coates and Wilson not starting. Never heard Staley give a rational explanation for it.
Rocky, I honestly think the issue is with us and not Dawn. Specifically we are hung up on who starts. Coates average more minutes that Ibiam (21 vs 16.5) and Wilson also got more minutes than another starter Dozier. (20 vs. 16.6). If I'm not mistaken Ibiam played poorly in the first half and did no play in 2nd half against ND last night. I don't think being a "starter" was any consolation to her for not playing in the last half of your last game of your career.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I think that the difference between the UConn point guards through the years, and everyone else, is that, for a brief second, ND doubled up on a switch and left the SC post player (not sure which player it was) wide open. Sue, D, Renee, MoJeff, all would have seen that and rifled a pass inside for an easy 2, and the game.
Looking at the replay of the final seconds, it is easy to spot the moments when Mitchell could have made a play, but not necessarily easy for her to see at the time. When she went to her right at first and was double teamed with about 9 seconds left Wilson was open at the top of the key for an instant, though Mitchell would have had to anticipate that opening and turn backward to leap and fire a pass. Certainly not an impossible play, but she didn't do it. When she swung back to her left to go to the other side of the court, the defense closed up around Wilson. Mitchell headed over to the left sideline dragging two defenders and tried to leap and fire a pass back to Wilson again pretty open at the top of the key with about 4.5 seconds. Wright with great anticipation blocked the pass, and that was basically the game.

So Staley may have had a strong second option with that Horns Double-Action play and if the pass to Wilson had been completed with 4 seconds left, that would have been enough time for a quick drive and maybe even a putback with a miss. But ND just closed down on Mitchell really well.

Reaction Score
Missed free throws lost the game for SoCar, but when I watch SoCar players during the game they seem to be "winging it" most of the time! They play an undisciplined brand of BB, IMHO! You watch Geno Auriemma players and to a lesser effect The Muffett players and you get the sense that situations have been gone over in practice until everyone is on the same page! It's great to give the ball too your star G but she should have been given guidance of one or two things to look for etc. You don't WING IT with 7.5 seconds left in the game! Geno wouldn't leave MoJeff out on an island! She'd have options she could set up! Penetrate then Inside to Stewie or Tuck, outside to KML............for example!
Other coaches that use the WING IT style are: Brenda Frese, McCallie, Hatchell, Holly Warlick, etc.
That's what makes Geno such a great coach, he leaves nothing to chance!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin