What was she looking at? | The Boneyard

What was she looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Glad we won because I hate to complain about refs after a loss.
Check out Aaliyah getting pulled down right in front of the ref after a KK drive. How can this not result in a foul call on USC?? Probably more than a common foul, also. It is 6 minutes into this highlight package. Game time 7:00 in the 2nd Q, score 19 all.
Two refs are watching this occur. What the heck?
I'l ok with physical play, like hard post ups and tight scrappy D but this was not that.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Check out Aaliyah getting pulled down right in front of the ref after a KK drive. How can this not result in a foul call on USC?? Probably more than a common foul, also. It is 6 minutes into this highlight package. Game time 7:00 in the 2nd Q, score 19 all.
I'l ok with physical play, like hard post ups and tight scrappy D but this was not that.
I commented on this in the Chat and in a couple other threads. I will add that during the replay, Antonelli was praising the USC player for inbounding the ball so quickly, completely ignoring that Aaliyah was pulled down, which allowed the quick inbound.
The refs also missed a few shots to the heads of UConn players. I guess they didn't hit anyone's ponytails.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

IMG_2007.jpeg

During the game my wife said that she grabbed Aaliyah's hair and pulled her back.
IMG_2008.jpeg

It sure looks like it.

Reaction Score

I recall jumping out of my chair when the play happened. I was screaming at the TV and in pain as the "jump" was too quick for this old man. Fortunately, no broken bones or sprained ankles. These Referees are going to send me to the hospital!!!

Reaction Score
It would seem to me we ought to be able to say we have a "contract" with the NCAA to play games that make them money, they have to provide competent refs. We should sue them for breach of contract, present the video to the jury and let the ref try and defend that non call. She is either incompetent or biased. You cannot miss something that blatant. Well, I guess you can, because she did.

Reaction Score

I saw it live and on replay. It was much more than a play on. When Aaliyah got the broken nose the ref 10 ft away called nothing. The other two both blew the whistle. I give up on figuring out refs. Griner had it figured out. Any contact she'd be flailing her arms like she was shot. Some players are really good at falling down. Refs see that out of the corner of their eye and figure the player was fouled.

Reaction Score
I believe i saw that the NFL is considering placing a ref in the stands to deal with the fouls that everyone in the stands sees but the refs on the field dont see. Maybe NCAAWB needs to consider the same thing.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
akin to how Reagan Beers got tackled on Sunday - but in her case, she got called for the foul. So a Pac-12 make-up call!

Reaction Score
It was shocking to see people suggest Edwards flopped. If you watch the USC game again... they were flopping and falling after shooting all the time when there was no contact. It was so obvious. I was shocked they were not warned.

Did anyone else hear the ref yell at the UCONN bench when Geno and Tonya were arguing about a bs call against the Huskies. It was right before a time out, you could hear him yell "Knock it off" or something similar. If that was heard on TV... it might be interesting to see if they review the game and ask that ref about it. Especially after some of the questionable calls that were made during the game.

Reaction Score
I didn’t see anyone yell at the bench, but I did see Edward wheel around and face plant on the floor. At the time I thought she was pulled down by her hair, but the replay looked like she was arm hooked and flipped to the ground.

Reaction Score
It was shocking to see people suggest Edwards flopped. If you watch the USC game again... they were flopping and falling after shooting all the time when there was no contact. It was so obvious. I was shocked they were not warned.

Did anyone else hear the ref yell at the UCONN bench when Geno and Tonya were arguing about a bs call against the Huskies. It was right before a time out, you could hear him yell "Knock it off" or something similar. If that was heard on TV... it might be interesting to see if they review the game and ask that ref about it. Especially after some of the questionable calls that were made during the game.
That was the Pac 12 ref Kyle Bacon. He called almost every ticky-tack foul that put UCONN in trouble. And he ignored the hard contact inflicted on the Huskies.
I watched the replay today & it verified my concern about the ref. But the ironic part is that the other ref Brian Hall called most of the USC fouls. I wonder if he didn't care for the one- sided whistle from his counterpart.

Reaction Score
I do think AE is a little bit of a flopper. She is way too big and way too athletic to be pulled down as often as she is.
I hate to say this, but there's a grain of truth in that. When Edwards fell backwards into Paige a couple of years ago, I thought it was 50% flop and 50% foul. The result? Not good for Paige.

Before I get tarred and feathered, I am a big AE fan.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I think (emphasis on think) that, at a couple of points this season, she's been frustrated by no calls to the point where she feels she has to sell them. Understandable IMHO.

Reaction Score

How about Juju going sideways into Muhl?!? Horrible job by refs!!!

Reaction Score
I hate to say this, but there's a grain of truth in that. When Edwards fell backwards into Paige a couple of years ago, I thought it was 50% flop and 50% foul. The result? Not good for Paige.

@Skeets, you won’t get “tarred and/or feathered” by me at all. The thing I most appreciate by being on this board is the ability of us fans to state our opinions. Now, I still respectfully disagree with you. But, if you say Nika flops, then yes, she sometimes does.
I love them both. Go UConn! Go Huskies!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm glad someone else has noticed it and it's been going on quite a bit this year. She's so physically dominate there is no need for it.
I know right? I mean if she can't take someone grabbing a handful of her hair and pulling her backwards without flinching, she shouldn't be on the basketball basketball court.

Reaction Score

Wasn’t it Azzi that Aaliyah fell (or was pushed) into?

Reaction Score
I think there are times when UConn players "exaggerate" the foul. It usually happens in game like the USC one where the officials seem to not be able to see fouls against them so drama is needed to get their attention and if not possible to get the attention of the fans and overseers to get the refs to start calling it both ways. During the USC game I even had to post in the char about the "gray haired" official that was constantly calling inadvertent bumps against UConn and NOTHING on USC. I was not aware until later that he was also a PAC12 official. That alone doesn't mean he is a bad official (in this case he was) but should not happen to avoid that criticism.

Reaction Score
I do think AE is a little bit of a flopper. She is way too big and way too athletic to be pulled down as often as she is.
And if the refs called every foul she committed, she'd play about 5 minutes a game. Please stop the whining, people. But to your point, she is also tremendously clumsy, which contributes to the falling down issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom