What was most impressive to you of tonights performances: | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What was most impressive to you of tonights performances:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We all have to wake up to the fact that Butler is not going to be a good player. She is awkward, slow, has bad hands, and is not athletic. She can't dominate against a division II opponent. She just isn't good for anything more than about 2 minutes a game, during which she will miss a lay-up and draw two personals. Next year, we'll have some quality players with size. Butler was a mistake.
I know that you're so much more knowledgeable than Geno and I hope you take the time to let him and the staff know that and suggest that they don't renew her scholarship next season. As you clearly stated, what a waste. I hope you know I'm being facetious and it's sad that you could go out of your way to denigrate this kid so badly. I think that her minutes will be based on what Geno and the staff feel she can contribute and if it's 15 minutes a game or 3 minutes a game, it'll be totally acceptable to me. There's better ways to criticize and I think the only time that it warrants anything close to that is if she was playing in a critical game and made bonehead plays or played so horrifically that it cost the team the game. If she's not THAT talented, I doubt she'll be in a critical game at a critical time. Let it go!

Reaction Score
I know that you're so much more knowledgeable than Geno and I hope you take the time to let him and the staff know that and suggest that they don't renew her scholarship next season. As you clearly stated, what a waste. I hope you know I'm being facetious and it's sad that you could go out of your way to denigrate this kid so badly. I think that her minutes will be based on what Geno and the staff feel she can contribute and if it's 15 minutes a game or 3 minutes a game, it'll be totally acceptable to me. There's better ways to criticize and I think the only time that it warrants anything close to that is if she was playing in a critical game and made bonehead plays or played so horrifically that it cost the team the game. If she's not THAT talented, I doubt she'll be in a critical game at a critical time. Let it go!

I has such great expectation of Natalie--Thanks for this nice defense of her--. you stated the obvious--Geno dictates the minutes played--. I won't be happy with less than 15 minutes per game---If I can borrow CARNAC's envelop and turban--I can see games (coming up) where she may be needed 30 or more minutes just to protect the inside and to score down low. Geno know s what he is doing--guaranteed. But I'd like to know the secret of how he plans on using Butler (effectively). She CAN score, has a great shot even at 15 feet. I thought she had great hands.
She'll never be a leaper or fleet of foot--Uconn's had a few of these and some worked super great.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
\
Thanks for this!! 50 (49) percent is pretty good. If she shoots at that rate--Uconn will be ready for prime time .
I hope the game plan wasn't to avoid getting the ball to Natalie!! Kiah and Buck suffered from not getting passes--the word, heard or read, was that she wouldn't score so don't pass it in to her.
If Uconn is to be marginally successful (getting to the 16 or 8 NCAA) Butler must become a formidable force in both offense and Defense--. Frankly we haven't seen that yet. In the IUP game 4th qtr I would have liked to see if Geno could go to Butler time after time and be successful
From the little I saw of the replay--EVERYONE was rushing their shots and missing some gimmes.
Natalie had some nice post play in the fourth quarter - nice drive and then a really nice feed post to post to a driving Kyla. She is never going to be as athletic as Morgan or Stewart or Kiah, but she takes up a lot of space, is good setting screens (and holding them so she does get called for fouls) rebounds well, and can score out to 15 feet. Her passing is decent, her help is pretty good. She will pick up a foul or two, especially against smaller players on rebounds when she bodies them away, but you can live with those.

Reaction Score
We all have to wake up to the fact that Butler is not going to be a good player. She is awkward, slow, has bad hands, and is not athletic. She can't dominate against a division II opponent. She just isn't good for anything more than about 2 minutes a game, during which she will miss a lay-up and draw two personals. Next year, we'll have some quality players with size. Butler was a mistake.

WOW!!!...that hurt!!!

Do you know anything about basketball? You need to watch the scrimmage again. I thought she did a great job picking, boxing out, passing, rebounding, switching up, running…etc. a lot better than last year. Yes…She was a little cold shooting, but, that will come along, she demonstrated her touch last year.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Big Bird I respect most of your positing--usually thoughtful.
I don't think Walker is keeping anyone hanging--the 10th --she can sign on the dotted line and all coaches know that---remember a verbal is only as good as the paper it's written on.
I detest the word nonsense --when applied to an opinion on the Boneyard--it shows a disregard for common human kindness for fellow uC wbb fans. Lots of words could be used in it's place --interestingly enough one or 2 who uses are supposed to be word/English experts

Thanks, BVA. I think Sonny44 was replying to a somewhat playful post I made about throwing Tic Tacs at my Ipad. It was a little goofyness on my part. So, when he called it nonsense, he was right in a way. But then I replied to that with a more serious response. I still wonder the extent to which Geno knows MW's plans at this moment. If she does know, it seems to me that the coaches might know also. We often refer to "silent commits." So, the concept is far from odd. What IS odd, I think, is that a kid would call a presser without knowing what she was going to reveal.

I agree with you about the need for polite language. Though I'd also say this is the best fan forum I have ever been into. Sometimes, we just get a little carried away.

Reaction Score
I suspect that Natalie is the type of player whose game will improve the more minutes she gets. The more she plays, The more she will get into the flow of the game and the more confidence she will gain which in turn will translate into becoming a bigger part of what the Huskies are doing on the floor both offensively and defensively.

I wasn't on the forums back when Stewie was a freshman but good grief, did she get this kind of criticism when she went through her freshman growing pains?

For all intents and purposes, Natalie is a relative newbie to playing in game time situations with the Huskies. She was out for a year with the transfer required break and was only able to play a little over half of the season last year due to her thumb injury. She was way behind on the development curve as a result. Playing in practice is not the same as playing in a game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm awake enough to strongly disagree with you. Natalie will be in a UCONN uniform for two more years and it should not be your expectation that she "dominate" against a Division II opponent. Her size will be greatly needed THIS YEAR and she is more than capable of contributing THIS YEAR.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Wow. Harsh and overly negative evaluation. Seems that for some if a player is not an AA she's crap. Sorry but I cannot agree and I think that I am wide awake. I think your evaluation was a mistake. She will contribute and be a solid big and team player this year when the team really needs one.

Reaction Score
I watched the replay of the pre-season game. Some of the negative comments about Butler's play in my opinion are not fair. It was not easy to get her the ball and on a number of occasions when she caught it she was fouled. When she rebounded, she pivoted, kept the ball high and made an accurate two handed outlet pass. How can she dominate if her teammates don't get her the ball where she can score. She missed some close in shots but Tuck and Nurse missed many, many close in shots last season. Also, when she averaged 13 points a game at Georgetown she shot only 49 per cent which meant she was taking a lot of shots. She won't get as many shots at UCONN so she may not average double figures. If she ever plays at least 25 minutes a game I believe she will show her true ability. Just saying.

Well said…I totally agree.

I’m a big Nat fan…I would love to see more post game too. If they can get the ball into her, I believe we will have good results with outlet passes, easy layups and drawing in fouls…getting to the line.

Reaction Score
Thanks, BVA. I think Sonny44 was replying to a somewhat playful post I made about throwing Tic Tacs at my Ipad. It was a little goofyness on my part. So, when he called it nonsense, he was right in a way. But then I replied to that with a more serious response. I still wonder the extent to which Geno knows MW's plans at this moment. If she does know, it seems to me that the coaches might know also. We often refer to "silent commits." So, the concept is far from odd. What IS odd, I think, is that a kid would call a presser without knowing what she was going to reveal.

I agree with you about the need for polite language. Though I'd also say this is the best fan forum I have ever been into. Sometimes, we just get a little carried away.

I cannot scream loudly for "polite language'---I'm as guilty of less than nice words at times--but i try not to be nasty---that word just wraps me around a fence post. If goofy ness is a sin--I'm the devil. Like you I follow this and post for FuN, i'm no expert or stats/Data collector--it just fun . I just dig deep into my failing memory for old time games,players, or Geno comments. Opinions are just that--if we were not stating opinions--we'd have Muffets job (Geno won't give his up). You can bet your yellow bippy (whatever that is) that Ms Walker knows EXACTLY whom she shall select. The wonder is that a friend or three of ms Walker have not leaked the school////

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Natalie had some nice post play in the fourth quarter - nice drive and then a really nice feed post to post to a driving Kyla. She is never going to be as athletic as Morgan or Stewart or Kiah, but she takes up a lot of space, is good setting screens (and holding them so she does get called for fouls) rebounds well, and can score out to 15 feet. Her passing is decent, her help is pretty good. She will pick up a foul or two, especially against smaller players on rebounds when she bodies them away, but you can live with those.

Thank you--my angst has been brought back down to normal paranoia. I, like many, looked at the current team (minus transfers) and say KatieLOU as outstanding, Gabby as high energy with huge upside--is see the same for Collier and Crystal--Kia is Ms do it all, do anything , Chong, if she lives up to her HS record by even half, and plays some "D' I can start feeling comfortable. I looked at Natalie Butler as Stef Dolson as a Junior but 60 percent of her production---. Your upside of Natalie is very refreshing --and coming from you--factual. Thanks We need Butler..

Reaction Score
I suspect that Natalie is the type of player whose game will improve the more minutes she gets. The more she plays, The more she will get into the flow of the game and the more confidence she will gain which in turn will translate into becoming a bigger part of what the Huskies are doing on the floor both offensively and defensively.

I wasn't on the forums back when Stewie was a freshman but good grief, did she get this kind of criticism when she went through her freshman growing pains?

For all intents and purposes, Natalie is a relative newbie to playing in game time situations with the Huskies. She was out for a year with the transfer required break and was only able to play a little over half of the season last year due to her thumb injury. She was way behind on the development curve as a result. Playing in practice is not the same as playing in a game.

I like what you say, mostly. Natalie isn't like a freshman getting into Div1 Wbb--She play ed a year at George town practiced with Uconn team , had a year of Geno's practices to learn his system, her thumb held her back last year, no doubt --. But she is not new --has experience--and has learned. Duri ng her year of "transfer" like the current two, she practiced and should know the Geno system. last year Natalie played in many game situations after she was released to play--None of what she sees now is remotely new to her. Compare her to Kyla --been on campus since maybe June (legally) practiced with the team since Oct--right out of HS. Compare that's a newbie, so is Molly an Crystal. Geno (and according to former players) say his practices are much harder than REAL games--to prepare his teams for REAl games.
I sincerely want Natalie to succeed--so I appreciate the good words for her--and the answer is Yes Stew was raked over the of coals during her frosh slump.

Reaction Score
All four of the core four played brilliantly, but what stood out for me was what I saw from the Freshmen, which no one so far has mentioned.

Molly Bent- It is incredibly rare to see a freshman guard move her feet on defense like Bent. That alone will earn her minutes, which will come from the one, two AND three. Geno is obviously going with a point, two wing set to take advantage of the unbelievable quickness on this team, particularly on defense.

Kyla Irwin- Her first college play as a 6'2" post was to put the ball on the floor and go to the hoop hard! Who ever sees that?! In the last quarter, she absolutely ruled in the post; she could give Natalie a clinic on how to seal a defender on the block and her movement without the ball and offensive rebounding was truly outstanding. I would not be at all surprised if she ended up getting more minutes this year than Natalie.

Crystal Dangerfield- I want to see her in a close game where she isn't walking the ball up the court, but her passing off the dribble is indeed a major, major tool. At first, I thought she might be injured, since she got into the game so late. It may have been a message that practice earns the minutes?

Overall- It seems obvious from watching this team live that they will be an unbelievably quick team on offense and defense. Whether they can zone up against a big team like SC should determine how far they get in the tournament, but if I was a coach of an opposing team, I certainly would NOT want to play this team. After just three weeks, they already run their offensive sets smoothly against either man or zone and switch with great facility on defense, particularly in guarding the three (one of the early weaknesses last season).

Just as an aside, if I were Megan Walker, I would really have to think about coming to UConn. Their best players play the two and three (Nurse, Samuelson, Williams, Collier) and there will be virtually no quality time open for a Freshman next season, even the Number one rated player. Based on one game, Irwin will be a player; having the two transfers next season solidifies the two post positions and enables this season's "core four" to dominate at the two and three. Particularly if Molly Bent keeps improving, next year's Freshman class may have to watch for a year. Nice position to be in, to be sure, barring serious injuries of course.

I don't think this is even close to being accurate if MW is the ball handler and has strength and handle and court vision that I've heard. IMO it would be another one of the biggest blunders that h/s kids usually make when they over-think what the game is. A lot of the game - is flow and pace which contributes to playing confident. Do you realize the defensive pressure that UCONN would put on teams and the transition at the other end? You've have multiple ballhawk lockdown defenders without fear of foul trouble. Therefore you'd never have to worry about slowing down pace because your tremendous wings athletes can be replaced. As a result, UCONN would always play consistent fast pace. If you play with lots of pace then there will be lots of substitutions. And with the shooters have on the floor - and frankly Danger is going to be great-- you mean for your career you wouldn't want to play with a pg like that for your career? She'd get minutes -- just as inevitably last year KLS got minutes and this year CD will ultimately get minutes.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've read every response to this question in this thread. There are some very interesting observations made to say the least. Allow me to share one more observation on Tuesday's game.
It was hard to really get a feel for what we can expect from some of the players for the following reasons:

This was the first game of the season. One game does not a season make. The newbies were nervous, and admitted same.
2. This was the first time they got to play together on the same team against a foreign opponent. No real chemistry has been established yet (that will come).
3. This was an exhibition game against a much smaller and inferior Division 2 opponent.

The older (veteran) players performed as expected. They made it look easy, because it was for them. Gabby looked like a 6'6" player playing in a 5'10" and under league. The newbies played well, much to our delight and amazement. I, like everyone else had a take on the game. But I'm going to wait until the conclusion of the 5th game (Chattanooga), before I try and formulate an honest, intelligent and informed opinion on this team.
1-2 games (especially against inferior opponents) is not a realistic sampling with which to make a fair and honest assessment. I need to see more. Sunday's game will allow us another 40 minutes to observe the team. We'll see if the girls can emulate their performances on Tuesday. Perhaps a pattern(s) will begin to develop.

Several posters were a little harsh in their assessment of a couple of players. Anyone can have a bad day, or below average game. Sometimes, it's just not your night, regardless of the competition. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. IF the poster's initial observations were correct, those observations will be corroborated by then.

That's why I want to observe the team over a 5 game span against formidable competition. After 5 games, you can see a pattern of execution/non-execution. You can't really get an accurate gauge on who can/can't do what against a smaller Division 2 school. Maryland beat Emporia State (a cupcake from Emporia, Kansas - Division 2 school from the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association) that was nowhere close to being their equal) a couple of days ago at home by 129 points. That had to be a "play -for -pay" game. You don't subject your team to that kind of beat down for free.

Emporia State did not score in the second half. Maryland head coach Brenda Frese said her team played well, and she was pleased with their performance. Really??? What an embarrassment. Playing a young under sized cupcake.? What on earth can you learn from a game of this nature? The only thing they learned from that game was that Emporia State is not that good. Back on point, we'll have a much perspective on the team's realistic potential, and who Geno can count on while the games are still in doubt on November 29.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This comment sux.

Reaction Score

She's not going to get the minutes if she doesn't play well. That's not how it works. It's hard to tell in games like this so anyone taking very critical shots at her is weak. These games are hard to really get a handle on. Anyhow, if other players are playing better, Geno won't play her unless he has to. I'm not sure vs most teams he'll have to.

I'm not high on NB but hopeful . I wouldn't mind one bit if she was a "Will Crockett." Someone that can give you 20 minutes doing specific things like rebound, take up space, set picks etc. But - on the flip side I don't agree with you. I thought last year at the end she should have shown she was a more aggressive rebounder. Rebounding is a lot about position. Your thumb has little to do with it. I didn't see the tenacious rebounder that I thought she was. That doesn't mean she can't be a good rebounder. It's just that I'm skeptical but not counting her out. Heck her style could be freeing up KLS and Nurse etc to hit 3's by setting picks and keeping the smaller or less-strong forwards out of foul trouble . If she does that and rebound she'd be worth playing 40 minutes!

Reaction Score

I think that is a bit harsh. I just think people had unfair expectations when she first got here. Everyone thought she was going to be the next Kara Wolters because of her inflated stats at Georgetown (from playing against lesser competition) and that is simply not the case. We all know she is limited athletically but I have seen improvement and I think she can come off the bench and give them good minutes against the bigger teams they will play this year.

Reaction Score
I posted this on the other IUP vs UCONN post and it applies here:

I thought UCONN did very well for it's 1st game with new people playing important roles!
I love the team speed, even Butler & Irwin were quick down court! Butler has lost a lot of weight and looks and moves much better!
The team is a little shaky on defensive rotation, but that will come with practice.
Eventually I think their quickness can make up for a lack of height on defense.
If UCONN can stay healthy they're going to be very good come March & April!

Just to add my 2-cents, for whatever it's worth, I really think Natalie Butler is going to really help UCONN down the road! She is a hard worker, all reports from the practices say so! She's lost a lot of weight, her quickness has improved, and she's shown a good 10' to 14' shot and she'll be more aggressive as she gets more minutes/reps!
From an article on Natalie from the late summer, she really wants to succeed and has put in extra time with both CD & Marisa!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Correction to this post. I incorrectly indicated that Maryland played Emporia State. They played "BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE" from the East Coast Athletic Conference (ECAC) Division 2 in Bluefield WV. Total Enrollment: 1,563 (2014). Corrections have been made below.

I've read every response to this question in this thread. There are some very interesting observations made to say the least. Allow me to share one more observation on Tuesday's game.
It was hard to really get a feel for what we can expect from some of the players for the following reasons:

This was the first game of the season. One game does not a season make. The newbies were nervous, and admitted same.
2. This was the first time they got to play together on the same team against a foreign opponent. No real chemistry has been established yet (that will come).
3. This was an exhibition game against a much smaller and inferior Division 2 opponent.

The older (veteran) players performed as expected. They made it look easy, because it was for them. Gabby looked like a 6'6" player playing in a 5'10" and under league. The newbies played well, much to our delight and amazement. I, like everyone else had a take on the game. But I'm going to wait until the conclusion of the 5th game (Chattanooga), before I try and formulate an honest, intelligent and informed opinion on this team.
1-2 games (especially against inferior opponents) is not a realistic sampling with which to make a fair and honest assessment. I need to see more. Sunday's game will allow us another 40 minutes to observe the team. We'll see if the girls can emulate their performances on Tuesday. Perhaps a pattern(s) will begin to develop.

Several posters were a little harsh in their assessment of a couple of players. Anyone can have a bad day, or below average game. Sometimes, it's just not your night, regardless of the competition. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. IF the poster's initial observations were correct, those observations will be corroborated by then.

That's why I want to observe the team over a 5 game span against formidable competition. After 5 games, you can see a pattern of execution/non-execution. You can't really get an accurate gauge on who can/can't do what against a smaller Division 2 school. Maryland beat Bluefield State (a cupcake from Bluefield West Virginia - Division 2 school from the East Coast Athletic Conference (ECAC), that was nowhere close to being their equal) a couple of days ago at home by 129 points. That had to be a "play -for -pay" game. You don't subject your team to that kind of beat down for free.

Bluefield State did not score in the second half. Maryland head coach Brenda Frese said her team played well, and she was pleased with their performance. Really??? What an embarrassment. Playing a young under sized cupcake.? What on earth can you learn from a game of this nature? The only thing they learned from that game was that Emporia State is not that good. Back on point, we'll have a much perspective on the team's realistic potential, and who Geno can count on while the games are still in doubt on November 29.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Regarding Natalie, a few more thoughts:

I thought she looked thinner, fitter, and a little faster.

She did some good things, including offensive rebounding and head fakes.

In a few cases, she didn't look agile, because she was in the wrong spot. She had bad shot angles after a couple of rebounds and also a couple of errant passes. Stewie's reach and agility allowed some margin of error on interior passes to her. For Natalie, the passes have to be more precise. I think the onus for that is on her teammates.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Your severe judgment of Natalie is unnecessarily harsh. It also appears to be widely inconsistent with UConn coaches' assessment of her skills. In other words, a meaningless outlier at the extreme end of a Bell Curve.

Ms. Butler will have ample opportunity in coming months to prove you were wrong. I expect she will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom