What UMass can teach UConn about life as a football independent (Courant) | The Boneyard

What UMass can teach UConn about life as a football independent (Courant)

Reaction Score
Here's something one would hope UConn doesn't try to emulate UMass on:

While it is bad enough that the Huskies rely on institutional support and student fees to fund 51% of the Athletic Department, institutional support and student fees provide 77% of the UMass AD's budget. If the move from the AAC is about money there are better examples to follow than the folks up in Amherst.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Before we get into this discussion AGAIN ... let the Accountants & State Audit Staff unite. You took a National beating saying you lost $40m. With a $16.9m PLUG for student expenses. Tuition. Room&Board. Other. When you know other peers don’t do that.

What would SMU look like if they PLUG a realistic like number.

I’m concerned about student fees. I have a daughter going to UCONN. But I’m most concerned about a significant drop in revenue and a malaise in Fan enthusiasm.

We are light-years better than UMass in core assets in AD. Let’s see David Benedict exploit that. Begins with adroit Exit negotiations & a solid 2020.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This was actually a pretty well written article and a good interview.

As expected, UConn will undoubtedly play UMass, NMSU, Liberty, and probably Army on an annual basis. BYU I’d say will be 4-6 out of every 10 years or something along those lines.

The 2 for 1’s are a great avenue for us and really should be pursued. UMass got Mississippi State to come play them (albeit in Gillette). If we could get them at the Rent that would be incredible.

Being able to play every game on a Saturday will rock. I’d love to have 2pm kick times on SNY.

There will be buy games for us in the future- I’d say we’ll play at most 3 on an annual basis- but those will be fun. Especially if we get to visit some cathedrals of college football.

Here’s an idea for what I think a 2022 and beyond schedule could look like:

CCSU
@ NC State
Boston College
@ Iowa State
@ NMSU
Army
@ BYU
Tulsa
@ Liberty
Akron
@ Mississippi State
UMass

Reaction Score

As expected, UConn will undoubtedly play UMass, NMSU, Liberty, and probably Army on an annual basis. BYU I’d say will be 4-6 out of every 10 years or something along those lines.

The 2 for 1’s are a great avenue for us and really should be pursued. UMass got Mississippi State to come play them (albeit in Gillette). If we could get them at the Rent that would be incredible.

Being able to play every game on a Saturday will rock. I’d love to have 2pm kick times on SNY.

There will be buy games for us in the future- I’d say we’ll play at most 3 on an annual basis- but those will be fun. Especially if we get to visit some cathedrals of college football.

CCSU
@ NC State
Boston College
@ Iowa State
@ NMSU
Army
@ BYU
Tulsa
@ Liberty
Akron
@ Mississippi State
UMass

I believe we can make great use of 2 for 1’s, especially by leveraging the basketball programs to get some of those games.

On top of that, I think we can still pull home and homes with lower P5 teams (Indiana, Duke etc etc)

Reaction Score

CCSU
@ NC State
Boston College
@ Iowa State
@ NMSU
Army
@ BYU
Tulsa
@ Liberty
Akron
@ Mississippi State
UMass

And that is not a bad schedule. I appreciate that you've qualified your projection by noting it is for the year 2022 and beyond. If UConn FB leaves the AAC in 2020 the schedules for the first 1-2 years of independence are almost certain to be ugly. But looking a bit further ahead I now believe interesting and challenging schedules can be put together.

Reaction Score
How so? Who else would you have preferred they (he) use as an example?

It was a good article.

Maybe I’m sensitive, but I think the headline was misleading/was purposely meant to imply that UConn’s football future is UMass

Reaction Score
And that is not a bad schedule. I appreciate that you've qualified your projection by noting it is for the year 2022 and beyond. If UConn FB leaves the AAC in 2020 the schedules for the first 1-2 years of independence are almost certain to be ugly. But looking a bit further ahead I now believe interesting and challenging schedules can be put together.

It’s probably too much to ask for patience...

Im already preparing myself for the meltdown on here when the first couple schedules are released.

Last edited:

Drew

Reaction Score
It was a good article.

Maybe I’m sensitive, but I think the headline was misleading/was purposely meant to imply that UConn’s football future is UMass
Hate to break it to you, but thats exactly what the future is

Reaction Score

CCSU
@ NC State
Boston College
@ Iowa State
@ NMSU
Army
@ BYU
Tulsa
@ Liberty
Akron
@ Mississippi State
UMass

That schedule is fine

The only thing I’d add ... you need Regional away games to encourage the Fanbase. Buffalo. Temple. Maryland. Rutgers. Army. Navy. Syracuse. Should be prioritized

I think you’ll see more movement in FCS - to Distinguish themselves. The JMU or Towson or Stony Brook needs more revenue to feed a Institutional hunger. That status quo isn’t going to remain

Reaction Score
Hate to break it to you, but thats exactly what the future is

Just to clarify, are you saying the future is the same as UMass’ program’s future or that we’ll be playing UMass every year?

Reaction Score
Good schedules are very possible and more likely, but you will still have a stinker. Here is our stinker and hope things can be worked out. First home game is in October after 5 straight season opening road games ( BC is OK to get our September fix in for live football.). No break until November and 7 away games with just an FCS game left to schedule, 2022.

Reaction Score
Good schedules are very possible and more likely, but you will still have a stinker. Here is our stinker and hope things can be worked out. First home game is in October after 5 straight season opening road games ( BC is OK to get our September fix in for live football.). No break until November and 7 away games with just an FCS game left to schedule, 2022.

I appreciate people putting in the effort to make these theoretical schedules, so thank you. I will point out that we will most likely play UMass every year, so you may want to swap one of these teams out for them.

Reaction Score
The article is fine ... but it is near identical to the one Paul Doyle wrote a few weeks ago. Thanks Putterman

I’d also emphasize Florida trips. We get 4-8 kids a year; we need a trip every year. As much as possible. With 4 likely targets - UCF, USF, FAU, FIU - there’s opportunity. And also Georgia. If we get a P5 date ... ok.

Reaction Score

Crazy

We are going to do a FCS home game every September. Instead of that mess ... Benedict May do two FCS in the first 5. WTF.

I think we should expect at least the UMASS model - maybe better.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Last time I check, two seasons ago IIRC, 3/4 of Gillette was shut down like a UConn spring game at Rentschler when UMass plays(ed) there.

Reaction Score
We are going to do a FCS home game every September. Instead of that mess ... Benedict May do two FCS in the first 5. .
Why? Wouldn't it be better to schedule FCS teams later in the year when conference play is in full swing for everybody else?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Why? Wouldn't it be better to schedule FCS teams later in the year when conference play is in full swing for everybody else?
FCS level have conferences too.

Drew

Reaction Score
Just to clarify, are you saying the future is the same as UMass’ program’s future or that we’ll be playing UMass every year?
Both

Reaction Score
FCS level have conferences too.
I get that, but wouldn't it be more likely that they accommodate us in November knowing it's a payday? I honestly don't know, it just seems like we should be focusing on scheduling P5 and G5 teams when they play play most of their non-conference games early.

Reaction Score
I guess we prioritize a FBS opponent over a damn good game against a top FCS University

Why

Is this ego. Stature? It’s likely not going to count against our bowl eligibility. Why play a home & home against a Tulsa or someone ... when we can bank a Home game against a handful of CAA solid programs.

I like Bamberg of UMASS attitude. You’re independent. You make the rules. O ... and the Blazer Bowl Guys? ESPN? It’s just programming. Except for the 100 year old tradition bowls, these are Rotary guys with a Stadium. Easily replaced.

You’re independent. Make the rules.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom