What UConn will do (...if they're smart) | The Boneyard

What UConn will do (...if they're smart)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
***I'm not sure if this has been randomly suggested in another thread, and if so I apologize for being redundant, but there's been so many threads lately, and unfortunately I have so much time***

But firstly,
- Kevin Ollie has totally turned me around, I had doubts more so than most, but I truly believe there are certain individuals in life that are true gems, in sports or out of...maybe a mentor, a father, mother (u get the idea), that emphatically make a positive impact/impression on your life. I have no doubt he is one of those rare individuals and between his own basketball knowledge and the support of 4-5 ex-head coaches on the bench to support him, I have no reservations he will succeed in terms of X's and O's as well.

-And I DO believe that the path the UConn admin took in giving him a trial bases period is the right move. This is not BC, nor is it Providence, heck not even Georgetown. Who we root for and unconditionally love is not a team, but a "Program" and arguably the most successful program in the nation for the past 15 years. That deserves respect, respect for our past players, respect for our current ones, as well as respect for the fans that live and die with UConn season by season. We need to know for sure before we give the keys to (to be honest) an unknown. I respect Ollie to the highest extent (and that's a lot coming from an individual like myself) but if I'm being honest, I respect the team I love more and an evaluation is warranted

Now if UConn was smart, this is what I think their ultimate plan is:

- Ollie will be closely monitored, whether its player management, recruiting, in game decisions, basically the overall way of he composes himself as the leader and face of this program. And I have no doubt that he will exceed in all facets, and I'm pretty sure the admin believes as wholeheartedly as I do. They know this will be a very different, as well as, tough season on many accounts (specifically in the W-L, though I hope not). IF THEY'RE SMART, they will realize fairly early that Ollie has the tools to effectively run this program for years to come with success. And I'm hoping/banking on the fact that they will offer Ollie an extended contract somewhere in the late January/ early February time frame for 3-5 years. This way, we have the assurance that our future is protected in the hands of Ollie, and in addition, we do not decapitate ourselves on the recruiting front. With the extension, we would give our potential recruits the security that Ollie will be our man going forward for the forseeable future.

-does this plan create the potential for UConn to lose the interest of a few of our recruits in the short term....yes. But for my money, when you're dealing with the viability and future of a program whose presence/effect far out reaches that of the basketball court, the risk is worth the reward. And it is exactly how I would play my cards, if I was Warde Manuel.

Reaction Score
I agree and I believe Manuel said yesterday that he could give Ollie an extension at anytime. Can't come soon enough for me. His first act as coach was the introductory press conference and he knocked it out of the park. His next job is confirming that Facey and Samuel are still in, and I think that may be done too.

Reaction Score
I agree and I believe Manuel said yesterday that he could give Ollie an extension at anytime. Can't come soon enough for me. His first act as coach was the introductory press conference and he knocked it out of the park. His next job is confirming that Facey and Samuel are still in, and I think that may be done too.

Can't remember which twitter account I saw it at but Facey & Samuel reaffirmed their comittment as long as Ollie is still coach.

Reaction Score
Some of our best recruiting has been done in the spring. Next spring there will be much press and ballyhoo about a long term contract given to our next head coach, hopefully KO. It's a 7 month contract so it may impact the fall recruits but if they're really interested in Uconn and have concerns they'll wait till spring to sign.

Reaction Score
Can't remember which twitter account I saw it at but Facey & Samuel reaffirmed their comittment as long as Ollie is still coach.
thank god...I mean we wouldn't want URI to get back in the mix for Samuel...I mean these are guys we can recruit any day of the week...The interesting thing will be what Ollie does with them. these are the type of players that Calhoun could make into stars sometimes, and at least dependable solid players at other times. they are marginal top 100 players not 5 star studs. Nice that they are coming, but it isn't like Calipari would even bother to answer either one's email...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom