What UConn Needs to Survive | The Boneyard

What UConn Needs to Survive

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score

I was just reading comments on the UConn blog and got to thinking what can save UConn and especially our football. What may help us survive all this is the NCAA money. The Pete Thamel(sp?) article that I recently read indicates a that there is a pile of NCAA appearance money that is due to BE members for basketball. If we can leverage agreement for the C7 to keep those rights as part of keeping us for the short term, that may get us a non-football home.
We will bolt at first opportunity, and we will need to tell them that. However, our name on their marquee will help with the broadcast rights that are coming up next year. Let them know we will be there and back them unless we get a call, and set them a respectable fee for the exit of the BB product.

Also, we have a FB playing group committed for at least a short term. We need to tie down how the BCS bit for 2013 will be owned and allocated, and make sure we are in that group. That should be split by all FBS schools. I don’t know if the BB schools get a split of that.
With exit fees due, and enforced by the remaining FBS membership, we should push Aresco to see what we get with our new football footprint for broadcast rights. That may be our FBS league for the short term. It’s only a little better than independent, but we have Temple, Cinci and USF that will need a home, and can offer FBS only options for other schools.

Then, get the friggin football team a winning coach. We need wins by the bucketload, against anyone and everyone. We need tremendous marketing, and people in the seats. If that means re-price of the tickets, etc. so be it. Also, we need to make us a traveling fan base, assisting fans to follow the team to games and bowls, not feed off the few that already go. The burn of 5000 sold for the Fiesta bowl has to be cleared.

That just me, go to the mattresses over the money, get as much as we can into a war chest, and get an attractive product on the field to make us someone’s dance partner.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing about the Big Pontifex Conference (Catholic 7). But the sense I am getting is that they are trading stability for even the possibility of a little more money. Strategically, it's the better play for them. Cincy and UConn just aren't worth the added instability.

The NCAA cash. That would be a nice infusion. We could use that on something like, I don't know. Expanding the stadium?

Reaction Score
We need a AD who knows what he is doing. We don't need a clown on a training bike posing as an AD as Rome burns. Same with the President. Either she is hostile to sports, does not understand their critical value, or incompetent.

Reaction Score
You guys should be optimistic that the Catholics don't want us. It's because they think we'll be in the ACC or B1G in a few years. That's good news, right?

Reaction Score
You guys should be optimistic that the Catholics don't want us. It's because they think we'll be in the ACC or B1G in a few years. That's good news, right?

It's not that the acc or big 10 want be members, it's that the conference as it stands now is not viable.

Reaction Score
We cant keep our basketball with these misfits. We have to explore all possibilities even if it means leaving the football program somewhere else. The acc and big ten arent calling anytime soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom