What UConn men’s basketball forward Samson Johnson is doing to reach potential: ‘Put the work in’ (Borges @ Hearst) | The Boneyard

What UConn men’s basketball forward Samson Johnson is doing to reach potential: ‘Put the work in’ (Borges @ Hearst)

Reaction Score

-> Most UConn men’s basketball players have returned to their respective homes over the past couple of weeks, the annual diaspora that occurs between the end of exams in early-May and the beginning of summer courses in early-June.

Only one player remains on campus, a solitary figure working out seven days a week, lifting weights, eating “as healthy and as much as possible,” watching film and getting up shots inside the practice facility on whose wall his coach believes his banner will someday hang.

Samson Johnson didn’t play as much as he, UConn fans, and perhaps even coach Dan Hurley expected as a freshman this past season. But he fully intends on being a big factor next season, and is putting in the work this summer to ensure that. “That’s going to help me have a great year next year,” Johnson predicted. <-

Back door cut <

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes. Inject this into my veins. Can be one of the most critical pieces to our team next year. He's the guy who can make the biggest leap among returning players. Hawkins started that for himself last year. Johnson can really be a game changer for this team.

He added that nothing really surprised him about college basketball, before pausing and noting one thing that caught his attention the most: “The physicality of the games in the Big East.”
And that’s a big reason why Samson Johnson remains on campus this month, trying to get bigger and stronger while also improving in other areas. Namely, shooting.
“They want me to come in and stretch the floor on offense,” Johnson noted, “and give 100-percent on both ends of the floor, so we can win a championship.”
Assuming Hurley wants to go with a bigger lineup, the starting four-spot might be up for grabs. Johnson and 6-8 redshirt freshman Alex Karaban would appear to be two leading candidates right now.
“Obviously, there’s an opportunity for guys like him and Alex to make a big impact on the team next year,” Hurley said. “The minutes will be there, and we’ll make sure that they have the opportunity.”

Reaction Score
I think Samson is going to have something to say about Alleyne being penciled in for that 5th starting spot already...perhaps a bit premature by some people

Reaction Score
I think Samson is going to have something to say about Alleyne being penciled in for that 5th starting spot already...perhaps a bit premature by some people
I think Samson will have a good year - but it's not necessarily Alleyne v. Samson for that 5th spot. It's more a question as to whether you want Jackson at the 4 or not. Regardless of who is starting, Johnson should see significant playing time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“(Hurley) tells me I can be on the wall someday, I have the potential to be on the wall, get drafted,” Johnson said. “It motivates me a lot. He doesn’t say that a lot about other players. He tells me that every single day when he sees me, and that just motivates me, makes me go a lot harder in drills, in practice, in workouts, in everything I do.”

“But,” Samson Johnson quickly added, “I have to put the work in. And that’s what I’m doing right now.”

:D

Reaction Score
but it's not necessarily Alleyne v. Samson for that 5th spot. It's more a question as to whether you want Jackson at the 4 or not.
i think to start the season the question will be alleyne v. samson for that 5th starting spot b/c alleyne is a plug and play starter whereas samson is a relative unknown.

but come january, assuming samson would be ready to take on a bigger role, the question becomes do we want to keep starting jackson at the 4 or not based on what we've seen during the nonconference.

Reaction Score
It would be great to have a high class headache in terms of who will start: Alleyne, Karaban, or Johnson. Unless Karaban or Johnson give us a nice surprise, I would think it is either a three way horse race or Alleyne has the upper hand before the new year. Everyone here is guessing beyond new years. Time and play results will tell.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Been saying this for awhile. I know it’s a big IF, but IF Samson can be a reliable 3pt shooter on decent volume, he should be the 5th starter, with NBA aspirations. I’m so high on this dude.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Putting in work alone isn’t what it takes! Send him to Europe for a month

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member