What UConn football coach Jim Mora is pitching to recruits: ‘He makes it feel special’ (Mike Anthony) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What UConn football coach Jim Mora is pitching to recruits: ‘He makes it feel special’ (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score
Latest speculation is FSU, NC, Virginia and Clemson getting poached soon enough by the SEC. The diminished ACC is going to smell a lot like the old Big East (BC, Pitt, Syracuse, VTech, Miami). They will need to add 2 or 4 - UConn, Temple seem obvious. Memphis seems obvious. What after that? Eastern Carolina., Coastal Carolina, FIU, App State, UMass, Buffalo State. Seems like slim pickings based on profile match though they did take University of Loserville.

Reaction Score
Latest speculation is FSU, NC, Virginia and Clemson getting poached soon enough by the SEC. The diminished ACC is going to smell a lot like the old Big East (BC, Pitt, Syracuse, VTech, Miami). They will need to add 2 or 4 - UConn, Temple seem obvious. Memphis seems obvious. What after that? Eastern Carolina., Coastal Carolina, FIU, App State, UMass, Buffalo State. Seems like slim pickings based on profile match though they did take University of Loserville.

The ACC would probably go after West Virginia, Cincy, maybe UCF. Those three along with UCONN would keep the ACC strong in football and basketball. It would be like the old Big East back when Miami and Vtech were onboard. It would be the football league we wanted to join back when the decision was made to build the Rent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ACC would probably go after West Virginia, Cincy, maybe UCF. Those three along with UCONN would keep the ACC strong in football and basketball. It would be like the old Big East back when Miami and Vtech were onboard. It would be the football league we wanted to join back when the decision was made to build the Rent.
For sure this makes sense. The question would be if the ACC would try to expand further and convince some of the PAC12 and BIG 12 to join that aren't as good of geographic fits, but provide very good brands and hedge against more schools leaving. It seems like 6 schools will likely leave plus Notre Dame. The BIG 12 doesn't have a conference network and the PAC 12 is doomed without UCLA and USC and every school has one foot out the door, so the ACC is in the best position to maintain their conference based on the ACC network and the population density of the east time zone for TV. An East coast division with the leftover ACC schools plus UConn and then a midwest/ west division with 10 schools (Ex. West Virigina, Cincinnatti, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Baylor, TTU, Colorado) could end up positioning then selves as the 3rd super conference.

However, I think at some point the TV networks get together and help create a new division of college sports away from the NCAA and rearrage the conferences to make sense geographically and then pay each school a different payout based on brand value and athletic performance. This makes by far the most sense and allows the schools who want to compete (and can compete) at this level to join.

Reaction Score
I could see them chasing West Virginia and Cincy but can’t see them leaving. The Big12 is working to be Super Conference No. 3 grabbing PAC 12 teams.

UCF makes sense.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
I loathe the ACC & it’s so refreshing to see them sweat for a change. I think 5-10 years from now, there will be the two super conference teams (& Rutgers), with remaining schools forming “alliances” as opposed to traditional conferences.

We may have started a trend. Independent is looking like a solid route for Football (recruiting & scheduling well to start) & the NBE is a great fit for all other sports. I got my popcorn ready for the chaos to come.

Reaction Score
I could see them chasing West Virginia and Cincy but can’t see them leaving. The Big12 is working to be Super Conference No. 3 grabbing PAC 12 teams.

UCF makes sense.
So you don’t see two schools leaving the Big XII for a reason but see a third school leaving the exact same situation?

Reaction Score

UCF makes sense.

Given a choice I think West Virginia would prefer a more local ACC conference, plus their traditional rival is Pitt. Also West Virginia football has declined in the B12, going to the ACC would be viewed as a fresh start that would hopefully rekindle their glory days from 15 years ago. Flip West Virginia and I think Cincy would be willing to do the same.

Reaction Score
They will never recreate the hybrid conference again. The Catholic schools hated it and most of the football schools did too.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
There's going to be 4 big conferences in a few years, it's clear to see. Whatever becomes of the Big 12/Pac-12, B1G, SEC, and ACC. Most likely, the ACC will be the weakest because they'll possibly lose Clemson and FSU.

My concern with this whole story is that the previous two, major moves (OU/UT, USC/UCLA) happened in complete silence. This whole rumor mill thing makes me feel like it's just that, rumors. I'm not saying there's nothing to it because I can't see Mora risking his credibility with future recruits, but Rule #1 will always come into play.

Reaction Score
So you don’t see two schools leaving the Big XII for a reason but see a third school leaving the exact same situation?
Unless the Big 12 dissolves, I don't see any of those teams leaving.

Reaction Score
UCF makes more sense to me from a geographic standpoint, assuming the ACC wants a Florida market badly (assuming assuming the SEC sucks up Miami and FSU). Could seem them throwing money at UCF to move using $$ recovered on a GOR exit. Can’t see them paying up enough to entice WV or Cincy to move. Could be wrong.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
UCF makes more sense to me from a geographic standpoint, assuming the ACC wants a Florida market badly (assuming assuming the SEC sucks up Miami and FSU). Could seem them throwing money at UCF to move using $$ recovered on a GOR exit. Can’t see them paying up enough to entice WV or Cincy to move. Could be wrong.
Or they just take USF and save themselves the hassle and money. I don't see them fighting to take UCF when they can have USF

Reaction Score
Or they just take USF and save themselves the hassle and money. I don't see them fighting to take UCF when they can have USF
Sure is a possibility. Tulane fits the ACC bill as a private school with high academic rating, good market and destination. Memphis is a great growing market too, though it’s academic standing is not strong, but you have L’Ville so academics takes a back seat to brand and market realities. Maybe a UConn, USF, Memphis, and Tulane make sense. Maybe Navy fits. Going to be a real interesting.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Sure is a possibility. Tulane fits the ACC bill as a private school with high academic rating, good market and destination. Memphis is a great growing market too, though it’s academic standing is not strong, but you have L’Ville so academics takes a back seat to brand and market realities. Maybe a UConn, USF, Memphis, and Tulane make sense. Maybe Navy fits. Going to be a real interesting.
That sounds like the American athletic conference but with extra steps

Reaction Score
Looking more and more like the Big Ten and SEC will stay pat at 16 and Notre Dame will stay independent.....for a while anyway.

Eventually...we all could see two major conferences (basically North and South but with a couple of West Coasters)...The NFL model leading to a college superbowl.

Reaction Score
This wreaks of the networks wanting to keep all of the conferences intact because it creates a greater volume of valuable content. Strange turn of events. If you make Texas Tech and NC St totally irrelevant, who will watch them? Maybe that’s why we ended up here.

We appear to be right back to the same old story for UConn—win football games and increase our TV contract payout or play our way into the ACC.

Reaction Score
Looking more and more like the Big Ten and SEC will stay pat at 16 and Notre Dame will stay independent.....for a while anyway.

Eventually...we all could see two major conferences (basically North and South but with a couple of West Coasters)...The NFL model leading to a college superbowl.
Agree. What's interesting about this is that for those left our of the two major conferences there may be an opportunity to play college ball in a more traditional type of setting. This could actually bode well for a program like UCONN and, for me anyway, be a more enjoyable fan experience. Who knows on the timing.......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom