What UConn football coach Jim Mora is pitching to recruits: ‘He makes it feel special’ (Mike Anthony) | The Boneyard

What UConn football coach Jim Mora is pitching to recruits: ‘He makes it feel special’ (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score
Great read from Mike Anthony:

End around to article <<

-> “We had a two-hour conversation during my visit and it was one of the best conversations I’ve ever had,” said Cam Chadwick, a defensive back from Somerville, N.J. “Most of it wasn’t about football. It was just about life. That’s what got me shown that he has an open-door policy and that, whenever I need to, I can just go in and talk to him and just bond.”

Chadwick is a cousin of former Huskies point guard R.J. Cole, who is playing for the Lakers in the NBA Summer League. So he has been fond of university and its athletics program for several years. In recent months, Cole said of UConn “That’s the spot,” to Chadwick, who was ultimately chose the Huskies over Wake Forest and Duke during his on-campus visit.

“It was really talking to all the players here about what they have gone through since the new coaching staff came in,” Chadwick said. “That really showed me a lot. That showed me that they trust the new process. They were telling me stories about the old coaching staff and how they didn’t trust it, or didn’t feel as one team. After I heard about all of that and hearing how spring ball went, it really clicked for me.” <-

-> “He wasn’t talking to us,” Harper said. “He was talking with us. He’s not just trying to act like some Hollywood coach. He’s for the players. He listens to the players.”

What Mora mentions often, recruits say, is what Connecticut doesn’t have — a professional sports team. His point is that there is room for UConn football to again become a focal point in the state. <-

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Great read from Mike Anthony:

End around to article <<

-> “We had a two-hour conversation during my visit and it was one of the best conversations I’ve ever had,” said Cam Chadwick, a defensive back from Somerville, N.J. “Most of it wasn’t about football. It was just about life. That’s what got me shown that he has an open-door policy and that, whenever I need to, I can just go in and talk to him and just bond.”

Chadwick is a cousin of former Huskies point guard R.J. Cole, who is playing for the Lakers in the NBA Summer League. So he has been fond of university and its athletics program for several years. In recent months, Cole said of UConn “That’s the spot,” to Chadwick, who was ultimately chose the Huskies over Wake Forest and Duke during his on-campus visit.

“It was really talking to all the players here about what they have gone through since the new coaching staff came in,” Chadwick said. “That really showed me a lot. That showed me that they trust the new process. They were telling me stories about the old coaching staff and how they didn’t trust it, or didn’t feel as one team. After I heard about all of that and hearing how spring ball went, it really clicked for me.” <-

"Mora has a goal of joining the ACC in a few years. "

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Mora has a goal of joining the ACC in a few years. "
There it is…
GIF by UEFA

Reaction Score
That was a great read. I really hope these kids get to be a part of something we all been waiting for and can do it in front of a packed stadium. They are coming to UConn because they want to be part of the Revolution that all of us very dedicated fans want to be a part of also. When you haven't had good seasons for so long, and then you furn it around and the fan base gets all excited again, if you are a part of the teams that do that, you become a legend. These kids want to be a part of that. I hope they get to be as they are putting their trust in the program to spend 4 of the best years of their lives at UConn and turn things around for all of us dedicated fans here on this website and around the country to show we have the best programs in the country across the board! Good luck to all these young men!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yea… was trying hard not to turn this into yet another conference realignment thread. LOL
Lol...I had guessed that.

Sorry HM...can't resist asking...I wonder if Hurley agrees with him? Or would Hurley prefer to stay in the BE?

Reaction Score
Lol...I had guessed that.

Sorry HM...can't resist asking...I wonder if Hurley agrees with him? Or would Hurley prefer to stay in the BE?
I'd imagine it depends on what the ACC looks like by the time we were to join. So much is going to change by then. I'd imagine the conference would look like:

BC
Duke
Louisville
NCST
Pitt
Cuse
Virginia Tech
Wake
UConn

And 1-3 more teams, either ACC teams that didn't make it or backfill from the AAC.

That's not as good of a basketball conference as the Big East, but it would be a very good football conference for us. We would be able to compete and it would give us good local games and easy travel

Reaction Score
I'd imagine it depends on what the ACC looks like by the time we were to join. So much is going to change by then. I'd imagine the conference would look like:

BC
Duke
Louisville
NCST
Pitt
Cuse
Virginia Tech
Wake
UConn

And 1-3 more teams, either ACC teams that didn't make it or backfill from the AAC.

That's not as good of a basketball conference as the Big East, but it would be a very good football conference for us. We would be able to compete and it would give us good local games and easy travel
Could we bring the catholics along as non-football members? I know that probably isnt feasible but would be ideal

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
A wonderful article about Mora and the enthusiasm and hope he is bringing to the program... and very damning about the losing culture that developed under Edsall and his predecessors during the past decade. An interesting article on both counts.

Reaction Score
Honestly, it wouldn't be the best idea for either side. We lived through that drama once already.
I think there is a possible scenario that could happen where a handful of schools do join the big east for Olympic sports and we have a mini 6-8 team football "conference" that is independent of the Big East. Whether it's an actual conference or a loose independent agreement where each school gets its own media deal but plays each other every year. I think it would cause a lot less problems than having everything under the same umbrella.

Reaction Score

BC
Duke
Louisville
NCST
Pitt
Cuse
Virginia Tech
Wake
UConn

Guessing West Virginia would be interested

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Could we bring the catholics along as non-football members? I know that probably isnt feasible but would be ideal
I actually think there could be something to this… If the Big10 and SEC are going to form huge super conferences, a “basketball-alliance” between the ACC & Big East could cement their status as the 3rd super conference.

Reaction Score

BC
Duke
Louisville
NCST
Pitt
Cuse
Virginia Tech
Wake
UConn

This doesn't look that bad honestly. I'd take Syracuse & Duke over Villanova & Georgetown. You do lose MSG and the tournament but ACC tickets at Barclays should be cheaper.

I've always had this concern about being in a Private school conference. Public schools are backstopped by state government funds that give them an advantage over time. Other than Duke in basketball and Notre Dame & USC in football the all-time top 10 programs, have been state schools.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was interested in the open door policy. Is that the new normal in college football?

Reaction Score

BC
Duke
Louisville
NCST
Pitt
Cuse
Virginia Tech
Wake
UConn

If the money is not a major upgrade, and I mean 3-4X, I’d stay where we are.

Reaction Score
Can't bypass the paywall...what was said about the previous regime(s)?

Reaction Score
If the money is not a major upgrade, and I mean 3-4X, I’d stay where we are.
I think we’d have to be looking at 4x or more. The Big East should get a bump and if Mora gets football going, so will the football paycheck.

I’m really hoping that ND stays Indy for a few more years and buys us some time to become a more proven commodity.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Excellent article and hearing from the recruits on what Mora and the coaching staff is selling along with others. That is very good.

Now how long before CFA drops the NCAA?

Reaction Score
This doesn't look that bad honestly. I'd take Syracuse & Duke over Villanova & Georgetown. You do lose MSG and the tournament but ACC tickets at Barclays should be cheaper.

I've always had this concern about being in a Private school conference. Public schools are backstopped by state government funds that give them an advantage over time. Other than Duke in basketball and Notre Dame & USC in football the all-time top 10 programs, have been state schools.
There is a reason Bob Knight told Calhoun you want to be at the University of Somewhere.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Do you really believe that s basketball conference with UConn and Syracuse in it couldn't get MSG to find a way to host their conference tournament?

Reaction Score
Even if that was the complete ACC lineup---BC, Duke, Louisville, NCST, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, and UConn------(and we know there would be some additions), it would be a great landing spot for UConn if coupled with a big bump in revenue. Certainly it would for football--but I'd submit also for basketball. Consider that the only BE player drafted last month was our guy Tyrese Martin.
A lot will be transpiring conference wise in the next two years. What gives me hope is that Mora has a gravitas and charisma that I believe legitimately lifts our chances of football success. And you know that Dave Benedict will be much more a proactive stealth AD (like Tom Jurich without his baggage--lol) and much less a reactive layback AD like Warde Manual--"on the beach". Staying optimistic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom