What UConn alumna do you most miss having at Storrs? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What UConn alumna do you most miss having at Storrs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Right now I'm missing Bria and Stef...luckily Tiff's right here in Atlanta...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Even tho im a LadyLike fan :)....I'd have to say I miss watching Tina Charles play! I absolutely LOVED the way she developed at UCONN...that girl could bang with the best of them. I would have loved to see her go against Griner in college! And someone who I dont miss is DT! Such a pain in the rear for us!!! Lol
Tina did bang against BG in college

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
give me Renee... she didnt frick around, the Floor General!

Renee & Ketia the dynamic duo

(no mention of Mel?)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
AnotherVolFan said:
Even tho im a LadyLike fan :)....I'd have to say I miss watching Tina Charles play! I absolutely LOVED the way she developed at UCONN...that girl could bang with the best of them. I would have loved to see her go against Griner in college! And someone who I dont miss is DT! Such a pain in the rear for us!!! Lol

She did - Griner was a freshman when Tina was a senior, played them in the final four

Reaction Score
Svet for me! Something so special about her beyond just as a player but as a person. The extra challenges she overcame...language, distance, finances, etc. The senior night crutches and her parents flown in from Russia using funds she had saved up over four years, And of course her infamous bull- headed clashes with Geno. "Sveta! Sveta! Is THAT THE PLAY WE JUST DREW UP!?!" "I was open." "Of course you were, you shot from half court!"

Reaction Score
Svet for me! Something so special about her beyond just as a player but as a person. The extra challenges she overcame...language, distance, finances, etc. The senior night crutches and her parents flown in from Russia using funds she had saved up over four years, And of course her infamous bull- headed clashes with Geno. "Sveta! Sveta! Is THAT THE PLAY WE JUST DREW UP!?!" "I was open." "Of course you were, you shot from half court!"
"I didn't come all the way to the USA so I could pass!"

Reaction Score
Idea for off-season threads: "Favorite PLAYER memories/moments". So a DT thread, Maya thread, etc. prob some cool videos we can put in there too.

Reaction Score
Idea for off-season threads: "Favorite PLAYER memories/moments". So a DT thread, Maya thread, etc. prob some cool videos we can put in there too.
"That's my hook shot." [To the opponent who was guarding her, while running back on defense after burying an improbable hook shot. Happened to be running right by Geno at the time.]

G

genosguy

Honestly, I don't know how I came up with this topic, but somehow, the light bulb went off. I do think it has potential to be a good discussion. We are inching closer to WCBB season!

SO, I was thinking about the current WNBA season, watching some of the great performances some of the former UConn players are having, and just contemplating the monumental losses of talent (to graduation, that is) UConn has endured recently. Whether they're having great years in the WNBA or not, I think of the steak of Final Fours and healthy doses of national championships. Who was a part of all of that? Charde Houston, Maya Moore, Ketia Swanier, Tina Charles, Renee Montgomery, Tiffany Hayes, Kelly Faris, Bria Hartley, Stef Dolson, and so on- I mean, all of these young women helped get UConn to immense success from 2008 to 2014.

And so who do I miss the most? Well, of the alumnae I just mentioned, it's hard not to miss Maya the most, but I'll never forget Stef's 17-16-7 performance in the 2014 NC game, the heart and emotion Ketia Swanier showed against Rutgers in the 2008 regional semis, Tina's emergence as everything we hoped she'd be, Kelly belonging from the first game and getting to go out with the smile we wanted her to flash...I mean, there's no wrong answer here, is there?

No, there is no wrong answer; miss whoever you feel you should. At the same time, however, thinking about the current Golden Era got me to thinking about all eras. In other words, who do you miss the most of any era? Was one of these alumnae the least replaceable? Was there someone you admired in particular as a player and/or as a person? Someone you'd give your right arm to see suited up in UConn gear, ready to play for Geno in 2014-15?

By whatever standards, who do you miss the most?

G

genosguy

Honestly, I don't know how I came up with this topic, but somehow, the light bulb went off. I do think it has potential to be a good discussion. We are inching closer to WCBB season!

SO, I was thinking about the current WNBA season, watching some of the great performances some of the former UConn players are having, and just contemplating the monumental losses of talent (to graduation, that is) UConn has endured recently. Whether they're having great years in the WNBA or not, I think of the steak of Final Fours and healthy doses of national championships. Who was a part of all of that? Charde Houston, Maya Moore, Ketia Swanier, Tina Charles, Renee Montgomery, Tiffany Hayes, Kelly Faris, Bria Hartley, Stef Dolson, and so on- I mean, all of these young women helped get UConn to immense success from 2008 to 2014.

And so who do I miss the most? Well, of the alumnae I just mentioned, it's hard not to miss Maya the most, but I'll never forget Stef's 17-16-7 performance in the 2014 NC game, the heart and emotion Ketia Swanier showed against Rutgers in the 2008 regional semis, Tina's emergence as everything we hoped she'd be, Kelly belonging from the first game and getting to go out with the smile we wanted her to flash...I mean, there's no wrong answer here, is there?

No, there is no wrong answer; miss whoever you feel you should. At the same time, however, thinking about the current Golden Era got me to thinking about all eras. In other words, who do you miss the most of any era? Was one of these alumnae the least replaceable? Was there someone you admired in particular as a player and/or as a person? Someone you'd give your right arm to see suited up in UConn gear, ready to play for Geno in 2014-15?

By whatever standards, who do you miss the most?
Every year I pick up a NEW special player. So to tie it down to a few is impossible. Fickle?? Maybe but UConn WBB has nothing but memorable women playing. If forced to pick Sue Bird with out a doubt and a close second is SVETTie.

Reaction Score
Ugh I loved Tina Charles! That was a game well played against BG...even tho it was her freshman year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Maya Moore was especially brilliant in the 2010 national semis against the freshman Griner and Baylor, but Tina Charles has the assignment against BG on offense and defense and did very well for herself (21 points, 13 boards).

A recap of the game just for fun:

http://espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=300940041

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

My vote goes to Tina, too. Her transformation from nervous, approval-seeking doofus to terror in the post just won my heart.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
another vote for DT - she truly is one of a kind

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And someone who I dont miss is DT! Such a pain in the rear for us!!! Lol

One of the main reasons I picked DT, games against the LVs. 3/4 court halftime buzzer beater? Against Tennessee? You KNOW that sucka's going in! And it does.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Ugh I loved Tina Charles! That was a game well played against BG...even tho it was her freshman year.
yup BG was a frosh... but she was still 6'8, a tough assignment for Charles

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
calpedaler said:
Griner was gassed at the end game. Tina ran her into the ground.

I remember her repeatedly asking Kim to take her out...she had a tough time of it as I recall...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom