What to expect today UConn Oregon. | The Boneyard

What to expect today UConn Oregon.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tonites game will be a big game. Oregon is not the team they were. They were hurt by injuries to 6'7 Prince, 6'5 Sabally and Paopao. Theyre all back with a couple of games under their belt. We will see where our depleted UConn team is. Will we revert back to where we were a concern of many posters or our we on a new mission and continue to play UConn BB? Ive read the posts and many of us have our doubts about where we are. Thats understandable based on where we were and what we've shown over the past couple of games.

Tonite the seniors need to step up and play like they have the last 2 games. The seniors need to take charge. This game much like any game is not about strength, its about our mental attitude. We need to come into this game with a winning attitude and no doubts. Nikas energy intensity and enthusiasm should help that.

My biggest concern tonite comes from the blow up by Coach Barnes of AZ in Oregons last game. It had alot to do with fouls being called on her team and their foul trouble. The fouls were almost 2 to 1. Im hoping that doesnt transfer to our game tonite. Foul trouble with a short bench would really hurt us. Im going into todays game thinking we will use our speed defense and rebounding while Oregon will most likely like to slow it down. Im looking for us to get it going early and often.

It should be a dog fight with UConn winning.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
My biggest concern is how hard it seems to be for the starters and the first 2 or 3 off the bench to close out the 3rd quarter and play well for the entire 4th. In each of our losses this was the scenario, we lost with very poor play in the 4th. It even appears to have been a problem in a couple of our wins, no matter the MOV. And my concern is even greater seeing how we played on Saturday, flew across the country on Sunday, practiced on Sunday(?), had a walk through on Monday and then play in the middle of Monday afternoon. A lot to overcome IMO. And being young doesn't mean that they might not be affected by the travel.

PS I totally dislike watching games on the Duck's court. Can't get over the graphics. Dislike it almost as bad as the (OT SWERVE) Boise State football field.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to another great game by our beloved UConn Huskies!! I am just hoping that the team blocks out all of the noise and chatter. They have played three solid games. The confidence is there for all of them. I just want them to have that attitude of "being that bada%$" on the court. Love it when Diana said that a few years ago. When they are out on that court, don't just be out there just to be out there. Be out there to create. Block out. Out work the other team. Out shoot the other team. Make your presence known out. Hoping that Liv, Dorka, and AE challenge themselves into out working Sabally, Prince, and Parrish. Out hustling those ladies on the 50/50 balls.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My biggest concern tonite comes from the blow up by Coach Barnes of AZ in Oregons last game. It had alot to do with fouls being called on her team and their foul trouble. The fouls were almost 2 to 1. Im hoping that doesnt transfer to our game tonite. Foul trouble with a short bench would really hurt us. Im going into todays game thinking we will use our speed defense and rebounding while Oregon will most likely like to slow it down. Im looking for us to get it going early and often.

Arizona outscored Oregon by FIFTEEN POINTS from the field, but were outscored by 17 from the free throw line.

There are always a few of those games, but it seems there have been an awful lot this year where one team scored significantly more from the field, but lost due to an imbalance of fouls called. Notre Dame-UNC yesterday. IIRC, UNC had taken one foul shot in the first three quarters, and when Banghart got on the officials, they began calling a few on ND. That was so obvious, it was almost like a lightbulb went off and the officials thought, "Oh, yeah, we can call fouls on Notre Dame too."

Reaction Score
While I share the concern about one-sided officiating, I think it’s possible that the Az game may actually help us today! I don’t think those (or any) referees are going to want two games in a row to be controversial in that respect. Hopefully we will see a fair, well officiated game this afternoon. Finally, I completely agree with the poster who was critical of the Oregon court. It definitely distracts from the game and makes it harder to follow all the action.

Reaction Score
We’re a top 10 team playing an unranked team. Just go out and beat them.
Their players are healthy now .. our players - Paige, Azzi, Aubrey - are not .. they have the edge, not us, eh?

Reaction Score
oregon is unranked when their big 3 are injured/out. this is a different team with their full roster healthy. just like uconn is a different team when we don’t have 4 key players out.

Reaction Score
I agree that they are probably a top 20 team at full strength. According to the polls, we are a top 10 team right now. Just beat the lesser team and head home.

Reaction Score
They may call the game tight. We need to watch for foul trouble, at least until we get an idea of how they call the game. Arizona is known for their defensive pressure and it didn't work in that game in part due to how the game was called. I'm all for a clean game. I think it's gotten crazy recently. I don't like how players can move and still get the charge calls. We are susceptible to that going forward, and then you might have foul trouble. We still are not that deep.

I like how Geno has lightened up a bit and taken some of the pressure off. He was right to focus on the defense and take the kids minds off the shot so much. He has done a decent job with them recently. i think we are back on track. I'm thinking man to man defense tonight. They have good 3 point shooters and a good inside game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Arizona outscored Oregon by FIFTEEN POINTS from the field, but were outscored by 17 from the free throw line.

There are always a few of those games, but it seems there have been an awful lot this year where one team scored significantly more from the field, but lost due to an imbalance of fouls called. Notre Dame-UNC yesterday. IIRC, UNC had taken one foul shot in the first three quarters, and when Banghart got on the officials, they began calling a few on ND. That was so obvious, it was almost like a lightbulb went off and the officials thought, "Oh, yeah, we can call fouls on Notre Dame too."
As a coach or a player, all you can do is hope that the refs make the same calls on BOTH ends of the court. Be consistent in their calls.

Reaction Score
Apparently Christyn Williams is not playing tonight. She's in covid protocols. No other players or coaches affected.

Reaction Score
I think we need to show smooth, consistent play on offense and VERY tight defense on the other end.
Oregon gets a lot of production from the 5 spot, both in points and boards.
Would be a good tune up for Boston.
Not to look ahead to much, but the Gamecocks are 10 days out.
Need to continue to get in sync with the players we have.
Hope to see a strong, steady “taking care of business” game.

Reaction Score

Man, that won’t turn out well for UConn if it comes down to FT’s. UConn is dead last in the Big East even.

Edit: Just saw CW is out. Hope she is okay and recovers quickly.

As for the game now, yeah……not good. Too many factors against UConn.

Reaction Score
their an unranked team due to multiple injuries............when they are healthy they are a top ten team as I'm afraid UConn may find out today.............and for all of CW's critics, I think we'll see just how important she is to the team with her absence......

Carnac

Reaction Score
They may call the game tight. We need to watch for foul trouble, at least until we get an idea of how they call the game. Arizona is known for their defensive pressure and it didn't work in that game in part due to how the game was called. I'm all for a clean game. I think it's gotten crazy recently. I don't like how players can move and still get the charge calls. We are susceptible to that going forward, and then you might have foul trouble. We still are not that deep.

I like how Geno has lightened up a bit and taken some of the pressure off. He was right to focus on the defense and take the kids minds off the shot so much. He has done a decent job with them recently. i think we are back on track. I'm thinking man to man defense tonight. They have good 3 point shooters and a good inside game.
UConn will be at a slight disadvantage in that they are on the road, and Oregon is a TALL team. 9 of the 13 players on Oregon's roster is 6'0" or taller including 6'7" redshirt junior Sedona Prince and 6'8" freshman Phillipina Kyei (Alberta Canada). The Huskies will have little room for error. They must limit their turnovers and take good shots, and limit the number of easy/uncontested baskets by the Ducks. With Prince patrolling the key, don't look for UConn to get a lot of easy/uncontested baskets in the paint. Just informed that CW is out for this game. That makes things a little tougher.

Oregon Team Stats -
Oregon heads into the meeting putting up 75.9 points per game, 17.8 more than the 58.1 UConn gives up per contest. The Ducks are 8-4 in games where they put up more than 58 points. The Ducks have amassed 15.9 assists against 14.4 turnovers per game this season. When Oregon has a better assist-to-turnover ratio than its season mark of 1.1, the Ducks have gone 6-1.

UConn has recorded 71.6 ppg this season while Oregon allows 60 ppg. The Huskies are 9-2 when they put up more than 60 points. So far this year, the Huskies are averaging 18.1 assists and 14.4 turnovers per game. When UConn has a better assist to-turnover ratio than its season mark of 1.26, the Huskies are 6-0.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
UConn will be at a slight disadvantage in that they are on the road, and Oregon is a TALL team. 9 of the 13 players on Oregon's roster is 6'0" or taller including 6'7" redshirt junior Sedona Prince and 6'8" freshman Phillipina Kyei (Alberta Canada). The Huskies will have little room for error. They must limit their turnovers and take good shots, and limit the number of easy/uncontested baskets by the Ducks. With Prince patrolling the key, don't look for UConn to get a lot of easy/uncontested baskets in the paint.

Oregon Team Stats -
Oregon heads into the meeting putting up 75.9 points per game, 17.8 more than the 58.1 UConn gives up per contest. The Ducks are 8-4 in games where they put up more than 58 points. The Ducks have amassed 15.9 assists against 14.4 turnovers per game this season. When Oregon has a better assist-to-turnover ratio than its season mark of 1.1, the Ducks have gone 6-1.

UConn has recorded 71.6 ppg this season while Oregon allows 60 ppg. The Huskies are 9-2 when they put up more than 60 points. So far this year, the Huskies are averaging 18.1 assists and 14.4 turnovers per game. When UConn has a better assist to-turnover ratio than its season mark of 1.26, the Huskies are 6-0.

Guessing the CW news did not propogate.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Man, that won’t turn out well for UConn if it comes down to FT’s. UConn is dead last in the Big East even.

Edit: Just saw CW is out. Hope she is okay and recovers quickly.

As for the game now, yeah……not good. Too many factors against UConn.
:( More minutes for Evina and Edwards. Our outside shooting threat is now reduced. Kelly will probably pack it in, and dare UConn to shoot 3's.

Reaction Score
their an unranked team due to multiple injuries............when they are healthy they are a top ten team as I'm afraid UConn may find out today.............and for all of CW's critics, I think we'll see just how important she is to the team with her absence......
As you said, we'll all see, Charliebball, whether we've criticized Christyn or not. We're all in this together.

Hopefully she is asymptomatic and gets back with the team soon.

Reaction Score
I hope Ducharme puts up 25 shots. If you were coach who would you go to right now, in this instance? I'd screen for Ducharme. Hit the boards knowing she's generally going to put it up.

Reaction Score
I agree that they are probably a top 20 team at full strength. According to the polls, we are a top 10 team right now. Just beat the lesser team and head home.
I see this as an even matchup. In fact, as the teams currently stand, I would have to give the edge to Oregon. I hate their court!

Reaction Score
I see this as an even matchup. In fact, as the teams currently stand, I would have to give the edge to Oregon. I hate their court!
Oops, if CW is out I’ll have to change even, to underdog.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom