What the Hell is VPI doing in the BCS as an at-large? | The Boneyard

What the Hell is VPI doing in the BCS as an at-large?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reports say Va Tech to play Michigan in the Sugar.

Orange Bowl website selling Clemson/WVU merchandise.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dan Wetzel makes the point that Delany went out of his way to deliver Prior for the Sugar last year, and the repayment is that Michigan doesn't draw Boise. I like Michigan's team, but Boise could have made them look pretty bad.

Reaction Score
I read on cbssports.com that VT had accepted an invite to the Peach Bowl (or whatever it's called these days). Seemed kind of early for that, but who the hell knows.

edit - must have been Virginia (although I am positive it said VT earlier in the day - administrative error I guess)

Reaction Score
of all the teams in a conference championship game last night the ONLY team I thought deserved an at-large BCS bid was Michigan State! VT, OU, UGa all stunk out the joint...with UGa only doing for one 1/2.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
AQ's and Required At-large Bids
1 LSU 13-0
2 Alabama11-1
3 Oklahoma State11-1
4 Stanford11-1
5 Oregon11-2
10 Wisconsin11-2
15 Clemson10-3
23 West Virginia

Ineligible
6 Arkansas10-2
9 South Carolina10-2

At-Large Pool (2 spots)
7 Boise State11-1
8 Kansas State10-2
11 Virginia Tech11-2
12 Baylor9-3
13 Michigan10-2
14 Oklahoma9-3
No surprise Michigan got picked, VT over Oklahoma due to injuries and the bad loss to OkSt. No one else is as attractive to the Sugar Bowl.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this is what i was pissed about last night. they beat no1 who matters, got whipped by clemson early and they madxe it to #5 before yesterdays game. a joke.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
they didn't get beat up enough last year for these jackasses to pick them again?

Reaction Score
AQ's and Required At-large Bids
1 LSU 13-0
2 Alabama11-1
3 Oklahoma State11-1
4 Stanford11-1
5 Oregon11-2
10 Wisconsin11-2
15 Clemson10-3
23 West Virginia

Ineligible
6 Arkansas10-2
9 South Carolina10-2

At-Large Pool (2 spots)
7 Boise State11-1
8 Kansas State10-2
11 Virginia Tech11-2
12 Baylor9-3
13 Michigan10-2
14 Oklahoma9-3
No surprise Michigan got picked, VT over Oklahoma due to injuries and the bad loss to OkSt. No one else is as attractive to the Sugar Bowl.
Does Wisconsin have to play Stanford or Oregon in the Rose Bowl or could the bowl committee put in OSU instead? Would love to see that game.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Does Wisconsin have to play Stanford or Oregon in the Rose Bowl or could the bowl committee put in OSU instead? Would love to see that game.

It's required that the PAC-12 and B1G winners go to the Rose Bowl if they don't make it to the National Championship game. I actually think that Wisconsin and Oregon will be an interesting matchup.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
At no point in its history has college football gone further in stating without exception that its entire season is a joke than with this postseason. There is no difference between college football and professional wrestling.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I usually roll my eyes when the ESPN conspiracy theories are floated on this board..but...ESPN has an interest in who plays in these games...and the ACC is a newly signed partner and Boise is nothing to ESPN. One could even say that keeping Boise down helps ESPN with contract negotiations with whaever is left of the BE.

Boise lost by 1 point to a ranked TCU team and they get banished to play ASU in Vegas? VT who has 2 losses and hasn't beaten anyone in the current top 25 (Boise beat UGA) is in a BCS game?

Hmm.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I usually roll my eyes when the ESPN conspiracy theories are floated on this board..but...ESPN has an interest in who plays in these games...and the ACC is a newly signed partner and Boise is nothing to ESPN. One could even say that keeping Boise down helps ESPN with contract negotiations with whaever is left of the BE.

Boise lost by 1 point to a ranked TCU team and they get banished to play ASU in Vegas? VT who has 2 losses and hasn't beaten anyone in the current top 25 (Boise beat UGA) is in a BCS game?

Hmm.

Its ridiculous where you reward teams that lose and do not make league championship games and penalize the loser in those same games. Michigan State loses in Big Ten Champ game but are only playing in it because they BEAT Michigan earlier in the year and they suffer in standings and Michigan makes a BCS bowl over MSU? Give me a break.

Reaction Score
I think we all know by know that the people behind the scenes do not look at records and common sense logic when selecting their teams. It all about dollards and cents, who will bring the most fans and viewers to the television. Vtech getting into the Sugar is an embarrassment though. Nothing like getting smoked in the conference chamnpionship game and it having zero impact on their bowl status. And with them, you can't even use "they travel well" anymore after the poor showing last year against Stanford at the OB.

Reaction Score
Better get used to it. This will be the norm once they eliminate AQ status all together except for #1 v. #2, and believe you me, the ACC and B12 are going to be fighting like hell to keep the cap of BCS bids to 2 teams per league. If that goes away too, they will only put their league champion in a BCS-type bowl. It will always be a pool of 3+ SEC teams, 3+ B1Gteams, occassionally 2 P12 teams (as long as USC is an at-large alternative), the B12 and ACC champion, and maybe a second team from those leagues if it's name is Oklahoma, Texas or FSU.

Reaction Score
Disgrace doesn't begin to describe Boise getting hosed. Delany/BCS think they're above the law, like Graham Spanier, etc. etc. How much longer can they keep giving middle finger to courts/Congress? BSU lawsuit to stop game would be a Hail Mary and probably fruitless, but would love to see them throw it. BCSs own ranking has BSU 4 ahead of Tech.

Reaction Score
Agreed with most of the above. In theory the system isn't terrible, but under the wrong leadership it stinks. And nothing against Bama, but what exactly will we learn by having a rematch of the top 2 SEC teams? Not like we don't get to see them play about every year! If LSU wins, then they are the best SEC team, if Bama wins then they're 1-1 against each other with a home loss. I want to know who the best team in the country is, not the SEC. Likely just watching some other games this year and only checking in on that regional rematch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Disgrace doesn't begin to describe Boise getting hosed. Delany/BCS think they're above the law, like Graham Spanier, etc. etc. How much longer can they keep giving middle finger to courts/Congress? BSU lawsuit to stop game would be a Hail Mary and probably fruitless, but would love to see them throw it. BCSs own ranking has BSU 4 ahead of Tech.

The people really getting the finger is not congress, but the taxpayers of every state, including Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Minnesota and Nebraska. Delaney is telling the governors and taxpayers of those states to go F themselves. They can go fire some cops or pay higher taxes, but he is not having a playoff.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
They don't need the BCS except for the championship game.

When the networks contract for the Top 6 bows they will not contract with the BE or ACC.

The will contract with the Big 4 to put their best available teams as hosts on those 6 bowls.

We'd see the following 6 bowl hosts in addition to the BCS game

B12
Oklahoma State 1
Kansas State 2

PAC-12
Stanford 1
Oregon 2

BiG
Wisconsin 1
Michigan 2

The following at-large for those 6 bowls
Arkansas 3
South Carolina 3
Baylor 3
Oklahoma 4
Michigan State 3
USC (most years) 3

Best of the Rest Bowl
Notre Dame v Georgia 4
Clemson 1 v Nebraska 4
V Tech 1 v Penn State 4

You wouldn't find Cincy or Boise or Houston or TCU, in the top 10 bowls. The paychecks after the top 10 bowls are meager when averaged out after expenses and divided in the conference. Cincy or WVU v Boise night pay $2 mil per team

Reaction Score
The people really getting the finger is not congress, but the taxpayers of every state, including Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Minnesota and Nebraska. Delaney is telling the governors and taxpayers of those states to go F themselves. They can go fire some cops or pay higher taxes, but he is not having a playoff.

You lost me on this one? How does this trickle down to the taxpayers in every state? How are cops getting fired and everyone paying higher taxes?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You lost me on this one? How does this trickle down to the taxpayers in every state? How are cops getting fired and everyone paying higher taxes?

Whether it is Wetzel in "Death to the BCS" or anyone else, the expectation is that a playoff would generate much, much more money for the schools than the current BCS system, and that is just gross TV revenue, ignoring the gate from having additional home games which every playoff system promotes. The Bowls, on the other hand, are money losers for the conferences and the schools that attend them, and exist solely as leeches on college football. As a result, a playoff system would generate millions in additional revenue, remove the bowl middlemen, and save the schools on attending bowls. The total benefit of all of this is in the hundreds of millions of ADDITIONAL NET REVENUE every single year.

Most of the BCS schools are state financed institutions. Therefore, by maintaining this stupid current system, Delaney is telling taxpayers in any state where there is a D1 football program that he is not interested in generating additional revenue for his state-sponsored school, but instead thinks the taxpayers should suffer. This is why Congress is the wrong way to approach this. The playoff advocates need to focus on the states. They are the ones feeling the pain.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Subbabub's super duper alternative universe 8-team playoff were everyone still gets to go bowling extravaganza 2011-2012 edition

Six highest ranked conference champions plus two at larges.

First Round - Dec 10
18 TCU @ 1 LSU 13-0
15 Clemson10-3 @ 2 Alabama11-1
10 Wisconsin11-2 @ 3 Ok State11-1
5 Oregon11-2 @ 4 Stanford11-1

Semifinal #1 Dec 31 Tampa, FL, noon
Alabama vs. Ok State

Semifinal #2 Dec 31 Orlando, FL, 4pm
Oregon vs. LSU

BCS Championship Jan 7 Tampa, FL 8pm

Rose Bowl Jan 2. Wisc. vs. Stanford
Fiesta Bowl Jan 2 Kansas St vs. Michigan
Sugar Bowl Jan 3 Arkansas vs. Va Tech
Orange Bowl Jan 4 Clemson vs. W Va

Other lesser bowls filled in the usual fashion.

The Big Four can hold a spot for a team bumped in round 1 or not. Let the free market reign in that respect. Leaves plenty of time for travel arrangements and limits the fan travel to one trip for at most a week to see the final four.

Somebody get this to T. Boone Pickens.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member