What the heck is going on with Uconn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What the heck is going on with Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bizarre thread. Agree with Prezident, who's merely being realistic IMO regarding how overt religiousness may impact UConn's decisions.

On the flip side, I'm not a religious person at all, but preaching is fine and all within the limitations that apply to free speech generally.

I actually find it kind of interesting to read DogMania's post. It seems to me that few people (at least that I've met) make switches from one religion to another, generally sticking with whatever they grew up with or dropping it altogether.

I've never believed in god mainly because the whole idea of taking something on faith never really made sense to me, and nothing has ever materialized in my life or thoughts that has given me any cause to think such a thing exists. Nor do I feel that there is an "intended" connection with god as DM supposes in the first sentence. Then again I can't say I've read a whole lot of the bible, and there is something to be said about the many separate derivations of religion amongst practically all human populations, though I prescribe to more evolution/genetics based explanations on that matter.

Reaction Score
The over all intent of message boards like this should be to discuss basketball and enjoy an escape from religion and politics.

Sorry all that I got us off on this tangent.

It started when I clicked on a link in this thread that lead to KO's tweets. I noticed the prevalence of God references. Given that he is a candidate to replace JC, I thought it was relevant to discuss.

In fact, I don't think anybody needed to talk about any other aspect of religion other than this:

Will it affect him as a candidate, regardless of how each of us feels?

But, in the end, I suppose a conversation like that could never occur with random strangers on the Internet.

Reaction Score
Bizarre thread. Agree with Prezident, who's merely being realistic IMO regarding how overt religiousness may impact UConn's decisions.

On the flip side, I'm not a religious person at all, but preaching is fine and all within the limitations that apply to free speech generally.

I actually find it kind of interesting to read DogMania's post. It seems to me that few people (at least that I've met) make switches from one religion to another, generally sticking with whatever they grew up with or dropping it altogether.

I've never believed in god mainly because the whole idea of taking something on faith never really made sense to me, and nothing has ever materialized in my life or thoughts that has given me any cause to think such a thing exists. Nor do I feel that there is an "intended" connection with god as DM supposes in the first sentence. Then again I can't say I've read a whole lot of the bible, and there is something to be said about the many separate derivations of religion amongst practically all human populations, though I prescribe to more evolution/genetics based explanations on that matter.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, 61cygni. I always find it interesting what others are thinking when it comes to faith. Most in the north east, particularly New England tend to be very secular and are reserved when it comes to talking about what they believe. Talking about such in other parts of the country aren't as taboo as it is here and I enjoy when we occasionally discuss this sort of thing.

I understand exactly where you and others are coming from, because I was there at one point in my life. It's funny that many who grew up in a family that centered around a deep personal relationship/connection with God often feel the same about those who don't believe and feel it doesn't make sense not to. I understand that believing in something that we can't see or touch, though is based on some body of data (Bible, life experiences, miracles experienced, witnessed or informed about), is not easily entered into. One has to weigh the message and their life experiences and decide if they're willing to explore and/or embrace the objects of faith.

I've seen many an atheist, agnostic or otherwise, explore the Bible to see what it has to say and eventually embrace Jesus as their Lord and Savior. I know that many have heard that combination and have a strong visceral response. Our nature is often self reliant or co-reliant on others we can touch and see. The idea of a savior implies there's something one needs to be rescued from. If one doesn't recognize the thing from which we need rescuing or believe there is such a condition, then the whole idea of a savior sounds flat out dumb to be honest. As for the lord part, we no longer live in a kingdom type society, but all this means is putting ourselves in the care and service to the one we wish to honor. It's no longer living for our own set of wants, goals and objectives but to place all of this under the lord's domain, which in the case we see described in the Bible, is designed to be favorable not only for this life but for eternity.

These images we often see on TV and the movies of punishment, sacrifice for the sake of sacrifice and misery is not what is described in the Bible. That's not to say that giving up something to honor God and others is not part of a persons individual journey. I think many have this idea that I have to give up fun, drinking alcohol, giving up who I am, etc. to embrace faith in God. Based on my personal experience and that of the many friends who have embraced this connection to God that I've referred to are enjoying life so much more than they ever did before. Some have given up things that they used to do, but did so, not because the felt they had to, but because they wanted to, like a son or daughter does to please their mom or dad who often know what's best for us before we even recognize it, and want to make them proud of us. That's not such a scary concept is it? But most see religion as dos and don'ts, and completely don't understand the "freedom" that one has when putting their faith in God.

Anyhow, the point I was driving at is how simple the Lord and Savior message is to understand, but hard to embrace. It takes believing and acknowledging that I am a flawed person who has fallen short of what our loving created intended me to be. I know I've chosen many a time to do the wrong even though I knew it was wrong. I didn't need the Bible or the thought that God existed to come up with that conclusion. Most likely feel the same unless you're a sociopath. I've yet to meet the perfect person, so I'll remove that out of the equation till I meet one. Once I came to grips that there must be some higher power to have created such complexity to life, I was faced with the challenge of trying to find out what the higher power might be. A sand castle doesn't suddenly materialize without a builder, but somehow many embrace the idea that this entire universe spontaneously materialized on its own and evolved into what it is today, even though there is absolutely no evidence of spontaneous creation and evolution taking place before our eyes or even pieced together over a centuries of time. I happen to find the complexity and order of nature, mathematics, physics etc, pointing to an intelligent designer which is a growing theory/belief by many modern scientists than the "poof" it all just happened so called scientific paradigm which really isn't scientific at all. A watch begs the question, who was the watchmaker and not, oh look, I just found a spontaneous surprisingly accurate time measurement device.

Then what caught my attention was as I began to see if the Bible was full of or some good or maybe even some truth, was that how this so called God took the initiative and revealed himself to us instead of us having to try to figure him out on our own. For example, no matter how long I sit and think about what nuclear physics is all about, I'm not going to figure it out. But if someone who understands what it is and explains it to me, I have a much better shot at understanding it. I found it interesting how most of the religions in this world were either all about us trying to figure out who God is or what we can do to reach some level of perfection and/or enlightenment, but how the Bible was all about God revealing himself to his creation. That very concept broke the ice for me, a Jew, to even consider Jesus as having any place in my belief system. But I finally was willing to find out what this Jesus character was all about, who he was, where he came from, what he did, and what he's all about now. Once I found out that the Bible explained that he was a manifestation of God in human form, kind a like how Ice is 100% water, just as water vapor or a cup of water is, I began to understand that I wasn't selling out my Jewishness if Jesus was the human manifestation of the God that's described in the old testament, Jewish canon or whatever you want to call it. Oh, by the way, I knew so little about the old testament at the time and began reading that and have studied the entire Bible learning a great deal about both the new and old testaments since then. Note that chapter 1 of the Gospel of John uses the concept the "Word became Flesh", and if interested you might want to read that first chapter of the Gospel of John and track what it says about the "word" to see it for yourself. You might not agree with it, but you'll at least see what I'm talking about. Once the concept that the best way for an invisible God to reveal himself to mankind would be to do so in the form of something we could all understand, it began to make sense to be. What better way to bridge us to himself than to live among us as a perfect man and to then do something to resolve my imperfection and the disregard I had for the one who created and loves me.

If in fact Jesus was a manifestation of God himself and that he came up with a solution to reconnect me back to him the way he intended it to be, it made sense for me to try to understand it and to make a choice if I believed it to be true. Here's the kicker! Embracing the solution part (i.e. Savior or maybe better put reconciler, if there was such a word) there was the lord part that I had to consider, which I've discovered over the years that many wrestle with just as much as they do the intellectual faith issue. Now if it wasn't hard enough to simply believe God became man with the whole idea of allowing himself to be tortured on a cross, completely separated somehow from the other two manifestations of God (The Father and the Spirit individuals that are described in the Bible) to be resurrected, or in non-religious terms, restored back to life and reunited with the mankind, the Father and the Spirit, it is even harder to decide if I was willing to take all my wants and plans, really everything about myself and agree to put them all under his lordship. In other words, "Okay, God. I'm all in! What's your plan for my life?" It is this little kicker that many who claim to be Christians never signed up for and many who explored this option decided at one point in time, "No way! It's my life and I'm going to live it however I feel. No one is going to tell me what to do!" Although it is a giving one's life over to God, it has to be done because we want to do it, not because we have to. That's the major misconception of the Lordship part of the story (known as the Gospel, yeah, another seemly archaic religious term that people don't want to hear) well except when it comes to some entertaining musical. As someone once explained it many years ago to me, this lordship concept is deciding to make that one big first "Yes" I want you to be my Lord, followed by a whole bunch of little yeses...which I've added since I heard that clever description with a bunch of little nos sprinkled throughout, that becomes less and less as we find out that the yeses simply turn out a lot better for us than the nos.

Boy, I can't seem to explain anything without going into some sort of DM's War and Peace description. I guess why would this topic be any different.

Anyhow, to sum this all up, I understand where you're coming from since held to the same belief system. What I think happened to me was once I was willing to explore it for myself, God began to work from the the inside out deep within my soul or whatever non-physical matter thingy exists in all of us, which of course would also be up for debate. :) Based on my experience and that of others who went through down a similar road and process, once a person is willing to examine who God is and what the Bible has to say about this, God begins to open our minds and eyes to things we simply couldn't see or embrace. In the end, it comes down to a choice what to do with what he reveals to us.

Maybe all this sounds like a bunch of BS, but I've experienced a transformation that sure seems real and have witnessed the same in the lives of others not to mention the occasional miracle that God sticks in there along the way. The latter is not what I hang my hat of faith on, but it sure helps. Knowing the heart of man, even if God hit us all over the head with something, most would respond by getting a harder hat than to look up and say, what just hit me. I recently read part of the book of Exodus where the Jewish people just witnessed the parting of the sea and all sorts of visible miraculous signs, not to mention the promised deliverance from their oppression from Egypt, and all it took was a few absent weeks from their leader Moses while we met with God on a mountain, to conclude, "Heck, we need a fricken huge golden Bull to worship like we saw back in Egypt. This guy Moses who led us out here to die in the desert and his God doesn't seem to be around any more."

Sadly enough, I find myself not all that different at times as those sorry folks. After experiencing his goodness, sometimes in the realm of the amazing, though many here would consider them coincidences or simply the work of my own or others, I face some sort of adversity and complain just like theses folks out in the desert. Subconsciously I begin thinking "God, your either not around, don't care or not big enough for the situation at hand." For example I was doing pretty good after the storm even tough my yard and house were covered with huge limbs and branches. That next morning, a neighbor helped me cut some branches so that I could clear my driveway and get our cars out when needed. I was able to get a tree guy that afternoon who came a day or two later to clear everything off my house and yard for a very reasonable price. I was able to get a generator on that first Monday even though they were all spoken for, when a guy overheard me asking what I should do if more came in. He waved me over and told me his wife no longer wanted him to buy that little sucker sitting on the pallet in front of him and told me I could have it. Also a friend of mine who set up his generator offered to come over that very afternoon to help me set it up. I had no clue and would have likely killed myself, which I'm sure many who are reading this wish I did. :) But even after all this, as well as some other good fortune that had happened, when I found out that I had a hole in my roof I felt helpless wondering how in the world am I going to find a roofer. Most of the business phones are down and I'm sure by now they're already spoken for. Who knows when it will ran next and I have this hole in my roof. Of course I wasn't thinking all that straight. I could have pulled the branch out of my roof which was only about a half-dollar size or slightly bigger. then shoved one of the extra shingles that I had temporarily. No that was just made way too much sense for me to think of at the time.

Well while taking to my next door neighbors about my predicament, one of them told me they knew a guy who did a lot of roof work for her and her parents. I looked him up, called the number and he picked it right up the first time I called. He came over the next day or maybe even that evening to assess the problem, returned a day or two later and fixed the hole at a reasonable price. Why I doubted God's provision in the first place, is beyond me. The fact is I handled most of the adversity a lot better than how I would have in the past, not really feeling all that anxious till the hole situation. Next time...hum, I hope there is no next time, but there always is...I will likely demonstrate a lot more faith due to this experience. It's taken some transformation that didn't need a knock on the head, but there's been more than my share of head knocking to change me into what I hope is a better man.

Well enough of my story and beliefs for now. Take it or leave it for what it's worth. I hope this thread encourages some to seek something deeper with God, but I don't think the less of any who don't want to or think I'm nuts for believing as I do. You all have your God given...I mean whatever given right to choose what you believe and live your life as you wish.

Reaction Score
Sorry all that I got us off on this tangent.

It started when I clicked on a link in this thread that lead to KO's tweets. I noticed the prevalence of God references. Given that he is a candidate to replace JC, I thought it was relevant to discuss.

In fact, I don't think anybody needed to talk about any other aspect of religion other than this:

Will it affect him as a candidate, regardless of how each of us feels?

But, in the end, I suppose a conversation like that could never occur with random strangers on the Internet.
You didn't ask that question, but made a very strong statement, NO WAY, and seemed to imply that a person who is a strong vocal proponent of his faith, is negative thing. The following is what you posted:

KO has a reference to God in every third tweet or so. I have no issue with that, but I think there's no way he gets hired as head coach if he is viewed as a vocal proponent of his religion.

Although our spiritual climate here in NE is a lot more secular than other parts of the country, I don't think that will be much of a factor, and seemed to be more your issue, but maybe I read too much into what you wrote. Now you did say that you didn't have an issue with him referencing God in his tweets, but seemed to assume that there would be enough who had a say in the matter that wouldn't hire such a person. Well they were okay with hiring him as an assistant.

As someone already pointed out, there have been and are a number of players on the team that hold to the same beliefs that KO has. I think a lot of parents, even if they and their child were not religious, would find it a positive that the future coach was a man of God. I'd say the odds of such a person to have a positive overall influence on their child is a lot better than some tough SOB, JC not withstanding. :) That doesn't mean that a coach who doesn't have and express his faith like KO and others, won't have a very positive influence on their players both with on and off the court success.

I guess if KO ends up the next UConn Head Coach, we'll find out if what you suspect is true or not. If he doesn't get the job, we likely won't know if that was or wasn't a factor. In fact, if it did turn out to be the case, that would be discriminatory.

Reaction Score
You didn't ask that question, but made a very strong statement, NO WAY, and seemed to imply that a person who is a strong vocal proponent of his faith, is negative thing
. . . .
Well they were okay with hiring him as an assistant
. . . .
If he doesn't get the job, we likely won't know if that was or wasn't a factor.
. . .
In fact, if it did turn out to be the case, that would be discriminatory.

On the contrary. I didn't imply a thing. You inferred something that wasn't there. I do believe that he likely won't get hired as HC based on the religious thing alone, if he maintains his current level of expression, but I have no negative feelings about his profession per se.

The difference between hiring him as an assistant and as a coach is huge. Outside of UConn BBall fans, most folks in CT have no idea who Kevin Ollie is. But I'd guess 80-90% of CT citizens know who Jim Calhoun is.

Obviously, they'd never come out and say, "his constant references to God weirded us out." So we'll never know - formally.

It would be discrimination, yes, but the better question is, would it be illegal discrimination?

Reaction Score
On the contrary. I didn't imply a thing. You inferred something that wasn't there. I do believe that he likely won't get hired as HC based on the religious thing alone, if he maintains his current level of expression, but I have no negative feelings about his profession per se.

The difference between hiring him as an assistant and as a coach is huge. Outside of UConn BBall fans, most folks in CT have no idea who Kevin Ollie is. But I'd guess 80-90% of CT citizens know who Jim Calhoun is.

Obviously, they'd never come out and say, "his constant references to God weirded us out." So we'll never know - formally.

It would be discrimination, yes, but the better question is, would it be illegal discrimination?
I guess I read too much into your original post. I'm good with that.

As for it being illegal if they didn't hire him due to him being vocal about his faith, I really don't know if that would be the case or not, but even if that were to be a factor, no one would ever come out and say it unless someone with knowledge of the decision reported such or they were to be stupid enough to tell KO that was a reason. I really don't think it will be a factor. Those who choose the next HC will pick whatever candidate they think is best to keep the program going at this same elite level.

Unless they go outside JC's coaching fraternity, I think KO has the inside track. I think Tom Moore had been JC's choice till the Miles thing blew up. I still believe JC thinks highly of Tom, but probably realizes the fall out caused a wave of public opinion here in CT against Tom.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I don't think Ollie's faith would hurt his chances because he doesn't embrace it in a negative fashion. As long as he's not making comments against people from other religious/with no religious beliefs, it shouldn't ever become too much of a controversy. There are people out there who would not want Ollie as head coach due to his religious beliefs and there are some who would want him more because of them. It's the vocal minority on both ends of any spectrum that will be making the most noise, but the vast majority of people know him to be a good man with a great knowledge for the game, regardless of what he believes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, 61cygni. I always find it interesting what others are thinking when it comes to faith. Most in the north east, particularly New England tend to be very secular and are reserved when it comes to talking about what they believe. Talking about such in other parts of the country aren't as taboo as it is here and I enjoy when we occasionally discuss this sort of thing.

I understand exactly where you and others are coming from, because I was there at one point in my life. It's funny that many who grew up in a family that centered around a deep personal relationship/connection with God often feel the same about those who don't believe and feel it doesn't make sense not to. I understand that believing in something that we can't see or touch, though is based on some body of data (Bible, life experiences, miracles experienced, witnessed or informed about), is not easily entered into. One has to weigh the message and their life experiences and decide if they're willing to explore and/or embrace the objects of faith.

I've seen many an atheist, agnostic or otherwise, explore the Bible to see what it has to say and eventually embrace Jesus as their Lord and Savior. I know that many have heard that combination and have a strong visceral response. Our nature is often self reliant or co-reliant on others we can touch and see. The idea of a savior implies there's something one needs to be rescued from. If one doesn't recognize the thing from which we need rescuing or believe there is such a condition, then the whole idea of a savior sounds flat out dumb to be honest. As for the lord part, we no longer live in a kingdom type society, but all this means is putting ourselves in the care and service to the one we wish to honor. It's no longer living for our own set of wants, goals and objectives but to place all of this under the lord's domain, which in the case we see described in the Bible, is designed to be favorable not only for this life but for eternity.

These images we often see on TV and the movies of punishment, sacrifice for the sake of sacrifice and misery is not what is described in the Bible. That's not to say that giving up something to honor God and others is not part of a persons individual journey. I think many have this idea that I have to give up fun, drinking alcohol, giving up who I am, etc. to embrace faith in God. Based on my personal experience and that of the many friends who have embraced this connection to God that I've referred to are enjoying life so much more than they ever did before. Some have given up things that they used to do, but did so, not because the felt they had to, but because they wanted to, like a son or daughter does to please their mom or dad who often know what's best for us before we even recognize it, and want to make them proud of us. That's not such a scary concept is it? But most see religion as dos and don'ts, and completely don't understand the "freedom" that one has when putting their faith in God.

Anyhow, the point I was driving at is how simple the Lord and Savior message is to understand, but hard to embrace. It takes believing and acknowledging that I am a flawed person who has fallen short of what our loving created intended me to be. I know I've chosen many a time to do the wrong even though I knew it was wrong. I didn't need the Bible or the thought that God existed to come up with that conclusion. Most likely feel the same unless you're a sociopath. I've yet to meet the perfect person, so I'll remove that out of the equation till I meet one. Once I came to grips that there must be some higher power to have created such complexity to life, I was faced with the challenge of trying to find out what the higher power might be. A sand castle doesn't suddenly materialize without a builder, but somehow many embrace the idea that this entire universe spontaneously materialized on its own and evolved into what it is today, even though there is absolutely no evidence of spontaneous creation and evolution taking place before our eyes or even pieced together over a centuries of time. I happen to find the complexity and order of nature, mathematics, physics etc, pointing to an intelligent designer which is a growing theory/belief by many modern scientists than the "poof" it all just happened so called scientific paradigm which really isn't scientific at all. A watch begs the question, who was the watchmaker and not, oh look, I just found a spontaneous surprisingly accurate time measurement device.

Then what caught my attention was as I began to see if the Bible was full of or some good or maybe even some truth, was that how this so called God took the initiative and revealed himself to us instead of us having to try to figure him out on our own. For example, no matter how long I sit and think about what nuclear physics is all about, I'm not going to figure it out. But if someone who understands what it is and explains it to me, I have a much better shot at understanding it. I found it interesting how most of the religions in this world were either all about us trying to figure out who God is or what we can do to reach some level of perfection and/or enlightenment, but how the Bible was all about God revealing himself to his creation. That very concept broke the ice for me, a Jew, to even consider Jesus as having any place in my belief system. But I finally was willing to find out what this Jesus character was all about, who he was, where he came from, what he did, and what he's all about now. Once I found out that the Bible explained that he was a manifestation of God in human form, kind a like how Ice is 100% water, just as water vapor or a cup of water is, I began to understand that I wasn't selling out my Jewishness if Jesus was the human manifestation of the God that's described in the old testament, Jewish canon or whatever you want to call it. Oh, by the way, I knew so little about the old testament at the time and began reading that and have studied the entire Bible learning a great deal about both the new and old testaments since then. Note that chapter 1 of the Gospel of John uses the concept the "Word became Flesh", and if interested you might want to read that first chapter of the Gospel of John and track what it says about the "word" to see it for yourself. You might not agree with it, but you'll at least see what I'm talking about. Once the concept that the best way for an invisible God to reveal himself to mankind would be to do so in the form of something we could all understand, it began to make sense to be. What better way to bridge us to himself than to live among us as a perfect man and to then do something to resolve my imperfection and the disregard I had for the one who created and loves me.

If in fact Jesus was a manifestation of God himself and that he came up with a solution to reconnect me back to him the way he intended it to be, it made sense for me to try to understand it and to make a choice if I believed it to be true. Here's the kicker! Embracing the solution part (i.e. Savior or maybe better put reconciler, if there was such a word) there was the lord part that I had to consider, which I've discovered over the years that many wrestle with just as much as they do the intellectual faith issue. Now if it wasn't hard enough to simply believe God became man with the whole idea of allowing himself to be tortured on a cross, completely separated somehow from the other two manifestations of God (The Father and the Spirit individuals that are described in the Bible) to be resurrected, or in non-religious terms, restored back to life and reunited with the mankind, the Father and the Spirit, it is even harder to decide if I was willing to take all my wants and plans, really everything about myself and agree to put them all under his lordship. In other words, "Okay, God. I'm all in! What's your plan for my life?" It is this little kicker that many who claim to be Christians never signed up for and many who explored this option decided at one point in time, "No way! It's my life and I'm going to live it however I feel. No one is going to tell me what to do!" Although it is a giving one's life over to God, it has to be done because we want to do it, not because we have to. That's the major misconception of the Lordship part of the story (known as the Gospel, yeah, another seemly archaic religious term that people don't want to hear) well except when it comes to some entertaining musical. As someone once explained it many years ago to me, this lordship concept is deciding to make that one big first "Yes" I want you to be my Lord, followed by a whole bunch of little yeses...which I've added since I heard that clever description with a bunch of little nos sprinkled throughout, that becomes less and less as we find out that the yeses simply turn out a lot better for us than the nos.

Boy, I can't seem to explain anything without going into some sort of DM's War and Peace description. I guess why would this topic be any different.

Anyhow, to sum this all up, I understand where you're coming from since held to the same belief system. What I think happened to me was once I was willing to explore it for myself, God began to work from the the inside out deep within my soul or whatever non-physical matter thingy exists in all of us, which of course would also be up for debate. :) Based on my experience and that of others who went through down a similar road and process, once a person is willing to examine who God is and what the Bible has to say about this, God begins to open our minds and eyes to things we simply couldn't see or embrace. In the end, it comes down to a choice what to do with what he reveals to us.

Maybe all this sounds like a bunch of BS, but I've experienced a transformation that sure seems real and have witnessed the same in the lives of others not to mention the occasional miracle that God sticks in there along the way. The latter is not what I hang my hat of faith on, but it sure helps. Knowing the heart of man, even if God hit us all over the head with something, most would respond by getting a harder hat than to look up and say, what just hit me. I recently read part of the book of Exodus where the Jewish people just witnessed the parting of the sea and all sorts of visible miraculous signs, not to mention the promised deliverance from their oppression from Egypt, and all it took was a few absent weeks from their leader Moses while we met with God on a mountain, to conclude, "Heck, we need a fricken huge golden Bull to worship like we saw back in Egypt. This guy Moses who led us out here to die in the desert and his God doesn't seem to be around any more."

Sadly enough, I find myself not all that different at times as those sorry folks. After experiencing his goodness, sometimes in the realm of the amazing, though many here would consider them coincidences or simply the work of my own or others, I face some sort of adversity and complain just like theses folks out in the desert. Subconsciously I begin thinking "God, your either not around, don't care or not big enough for the situation at hand." For example I was doing pretty good after the storm even tough my yard and house were covered with huge limbs and branches. That next morning, a neighbor helped me cut some branches so that I could clear my driveway and get our cars out when needed. I was able to get a tree guy that afternoon who came a day or two later to clear everything off my house and yard for a very reasonable price. I was able to get a generator on that first Monday even though they were all spoken for, when a guy overheard me asking what I should do if more came in. He waved me over and told me his wife no longer wanted him to buy that little sucker sitting on the pallet in front of him and told me I could have it. Also a friend of mine who set up his generator offered to come over that very afternoon to help me set it up. I had no clue and would have likely killed myself, which I'm sure many who are reading this wish I did. :) But even after all this, as well as some other good fortune that had happened, when I found out that I had a hole in my roof I felt helpless wondering how in the world am I going to find a roofer. Most of the business phones are down and I'm sure by now they're already spoken for. Who knows when it will ran next and I have this hole in my roof. Of course I wasn't thinking all that straight. I could have pulled the branch out of my roof which was only about a half-dollar size or slightly bigger. then shoved one of the extra shingles that I had temporarily. No that was just made way too much sense for me to think of at the time.

Well while taking to my next door neighbors about my predicament, one of them told me they knew a guy who did a lot of roof work for her and her parents. I looked him up, called the number and he picked it right up the first time I called. He came over the next day or maybe even that evening to assess the problem, returned a day or two later and fixed the hole at a reasonable price. Why I doubted God's provision in the first place, is beyond me. The fact is I handled most of the adversity a lot better than how I would have in the past, not really feeling all that anxious till the hole situation. Next time...hum, I hope there is no next time, but there always is...I will likely demonstrate a lot more faith due to this experience. It's taken some transformation that didn't need a knock on the head, but there's been more than my share of head knocking to change me into what I hope is a better man.

Well enough of my story and beliefs for now. Take it or leave it for what it's worth. I hope this thread encourages some to seek something deeper with God, but I don't think the less of any who don't want to or think I'm nuts for believing as I do. You all have your God given...I mean whatever given right to choose what you believe and live your life as you wish.

Now this is a DM post except that DogMania should switch the first and third letter in his name when he started it.

Personally I'm happy for you Dog. I understand where you're coming from even though I have some different thoughts and my journey took a different path from yours.

Reaction Score
The reason I believe that our country is not better off becoming more secular, is that more and more are missing out on an exciting, deeply meaningful and intended connection with God. I believe there is a loving God who is able and desires to intimately connect with each of us, and who is able to transform each individual from the inside out to be the best we can be. If that were to happen to all of us, we'd have a world where we'd be looking out for the best interest of others and not just ourselves. We'd all have a greater sense of security, because our hope would not be based on things that can't be counted on such as favorable circumstances, on how much cash and stuff we store away, even relationships or on anything that can this world can offer that can be taken away in an instant. I could go on and on, why. I'm not saying all these things don't have their value, but ones world can come crashing down if that's what we put our hope in.

Now I don't expect you or anyone to that matter to agree with my perspective. I'm sure there are some here that believe as I do. I hope that if there are some who feel there is something missing in their lives that they would explore if there is something to this concept of connecting with God. If you know someone who's living their life like KO, go ask them why the believe as they do. For those who are happy with their lives or not, and don't see any value or even prospects of connecting with God in a personal way, I'm fine with that. Faith is a personal choice that shouldn't be forced on anyone and I respect others' beliefs.

I grew up in a Jewish family and was an atheist throughout much of my early years. I thought those who believed in God were simply minded and just needed a crutch, or just blindly accepting what they grew up with. While in high school I happened to be around a bunch of friends who believed in this close relationship with Jesus and for years didn't want to hear anything about it. Being Jewish meant at a minimum not believing in Jesus, who was a wall that I was unwilling to climb and take a peek.

One particular summer there were a few of circumstances that opened the door for me to take the opportunity to find out what this was all about. I was always impressed with these friends who were among the nicest I had known and who accepted me as I was regardless if I believed and lived my life differently than they did. During that summer, we talked a lot about these things, I asked them questions and explored what the Bible had to say about God. I found out that I had so many misconceptions about what I thought these people believed and what the Bible said who Jesus was. I weighed this information in respect to my beliefs and experience, and decided to go all in with my faith in Jesus.

I've never regretted that since. Over the years I've found that many have similar misconceptions, as I did. Many think they understand what this is all about and are rejecting something they really don't understand. There are some who have a solid understanding of this, but either simply don't believe it to be true, or are afraid of the impact if they were to take that step of faith (i.e. aren't willing to pay the cost, sometimes a real and understood one, sometimes a misunderstood one). There is so much more to be gained than given up, but that's a whole other topic. I've found many who because of some negative representations (TV evangelists who turned out to be terrible people, pushy-shove-it-down-your-throat friends or acquaintances who's lives sometimes don't reflect the message they try to pedal, people who's lifestyle isn't attractive for whatever reason, etc.) and don't want to have anything to do with God or play the faith-is-a-personal-thing card that they claim to be dealing with on their own, but in many cases aren't really dealing with it at all.

There are some, but in the minority here in New England, that are pursuing various spiritual alternatives that are based on eastern religious ideas. They might think they are new cutting edge pursuits, but are simply repackaged ideas that have been around for a long time. My opinion is that they are trying to fill a spiritual or self-awareness void that is meant to be filled by the loving God that created them.

There are some, though seems to be in decreasing numbers, that are going back to their roots of faith that were carried down to them from their parents and those before them. Some do it out of obligation. Others simply feel it's the right thing to do for their children. Some, like the above, sense a similar void in their lives and going back to what they grew up with feels like the right thing to do or at least a good start. I respect those who are doing this (as well as those who pursue the spiritual ideas I mentioned above), but have always found it strange for those who are simply going through the motions, don't really believe much if any of what they're hearing on Sundays or Saturdays, but keep on going. I might not agree with beliefs of some, but I do respect the right for each of us to pursue or not pursue the spiritual in any manner desired.

The funny thing about faith is that by its nature it often takes an opposing position no matter what you might think. Even the person who's not sure if God exists, and if he does can be connected to, has an opposing thought to the one who believes God clearly exists and can be connected with. The idea that all spiritual concepts can be true, including the one where there is no spiritual, simply is illogical. For example the person who believes that there is no personal type God, but instead we're all part of some spiritual force conflicts with the Biblical paradigm (both old and new testaments) that there is a personal God who interacts with his creation.

I could go on, but I'm sure I've either lost or offended some of you, which was not my intention. I, and I assume KO, believe strongly in a personal God. We believe to understand in part the truth about our connection to the spiritual, but that doesn't mean we're right. That's the wonderful thing about faith, it is based on some body of information that we embrace to be true. The fact is, truth stands on its own and is not based on those who believe it to be true. Many who live on this spinning globe of ours will live and die believing things that are not true. Others, on what is true. I simply came to a point in my life where I decided it was important to explore what that truth might be and came to a conclusion that I found it, at least in part. I continue to seek to understand it in full and have a life time and eternity to do so. I see myself as a fellow seeker along with all who walk this planet. I'm not better than anyone and am always open to learning.

Please don't take all this that I, and others who believe strongly in our faith and aren't afraid to let others know about it, believe we are anything special or better than anyone else. It's never about us. It's never a belief that we are deserving more than anyone else or are even deserving period. We believe we've taken hold of the hand that God himself has extended to all of us even though we didn't deserve it, and simply do not want anyone to miss out on this exciting, intended and deeply meaningful connection with God.

So basically you have the same mindset as the OP.Your just on the other side of the fence. op believes uconn is better off with a secular coach while you believe our nation is better off being more religious. both of you are entitled to your opinions but many would disagree as i do.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I could take a counter position and literally slam everything you just wrote. Why don't you go on topic in another forum to preach? This really is ridiculous but expected in this case. This board is moderated? Feel free to ban me whenever you want.

Best of health to those who respect the separation of church and state.

The reason I believe that our country is not better off becoming more secular, is that more and more are missing out on an exciting, deeply meaningful and intended connection with God. I believe there is a loving God who is able and desires to intimately connect with each of us, and who is able to transform each individual from the inside out to be the best we can be. If that were to happen to all of us, we'd have a world where we'd be looking out for the best interest of others and not just ourselves. We'd all have a greater sense of security, because our hope would not be based on things that can't be counted on such as favorable circumstances, on how much cash and stuff we store away, even relationships or on anything that can this world can offer that can be taken away in an instant. I could go on and on, why. I'm not saying all these things don't have their value, but ones world can come crashing down if that's what we put our hope in.

Now I don't expect you or anyone to that matter to agree with my perspective. I'm sure there are some here that believe as I do. I hope that if there are some who feel there is something missing in their lives that they would explore if there is something to this concept of connecting with God. If you know someone who's living their life like KO, go ask them why the believe as they do. For those who are happy with their lives or not, and don't see any value or even prospects of connecting with God in a personal way, I'm fine with that. Faith is a personal choice that shouldn't be forced on anyone and I respect others' beliefs.

I grew up in a Jewish family and was an atheist throughout much of my early years. I thought those who believed in God were simply minded and just needed a crutch, or just blindly accepting what they grew up with. While in high school I happened to be around a bunch of friends who believed in this close relationship with Jesus and for years didn't want to hear anything about it. Being Jewish meant at a minimum not believing in Jesus, who was a wall that I was unwilling to climb and take a peek.

One particular summer there were a few of circumstances that opened the door for me to take the opportunity to find out what this was all about. I was always impressed with these friends who were among the nicest I had known and who accepted me as I was regardless if I believed and lived my life differently than they did. During that summer, we talked a lot about these things, I asked them questions and explored what the Bible had to say about God. I found out that I had so many misconceptions about what I thought these people believed and what the Bible said who Jesus was. I weighed this information in respect to my beliefs and experience, and decided to go all in with my faith in Jesus.

I've never regretted that since. Over the years I've found that many have similar misconceptions, as I did. Many think they understand what this is all about and are rejecting something they really don't understand. There are some who have a solid understanding of this, but either simply don't believe it to be true, or are afraid of the impact if they were to take that step of faith (i.e. aren't willing to pay the cost, sometimes a real and understood one, sometimes a misunderstood one). There is so much more to be gained than given up, but that's a whole other topic. I've found many who because of some negative representations (TV evangelists who turned out to be terrible people, pushy-shove-it-down-your-throat friends or acquaintances who's lives sometimes don't reflect the message they try to pedal, people who's lifestyle isn't attractive for whatever reason, etc.) and don't want to have anything to do with God or play the faith-is-a-personal-thing card that they claim to be dealing with on their own, but in many cases aren't really dealing with it at all.

There are some, but in the minority here in New England, that are pursuing various spiritual alternatives that are based on eastern religious ideas. They might think they are new cutting edge pursuits, but are simply repackaged ideas that have been around for a long time. My opinion is that they are trying to fill a spiritual or self-awareness void that is meant to be filled by the loving God that created them.

There are some, though seems to be in decreasing numbers, that are going back to their roots of faith that were carried down to them from their parents and those before them. Some do it out of obligation. Others simply feel it's the right thing to do for their children. Some, like the above, sense a similar void in their lives and going back to what they grew up with feels like the right thing to do or at least a good start. I respect those who are doing this (as well as those who pursue the spiritual ideas I mentioned above), but have always found it strange for those who are simply going through the motions, don't really believe much if any of what they're hearing on Sundays or Saturdays, but keep on going. I might not agree with beliefs of some, but I do respect the right for each of us to pursue or not pursue the spiritual in any manner desired.

The funny thing about faith is that by its nature it often takes an opposing position no matter what you might think. Even the person who's not sure if God exists, and if he does can be connected to, has an opposing thought to the one who believes God clearly exists and can be connected with. The idea that all spiritual concepts can be true, including the one where there is no spiritual, simply is illogical. For example the person who believes that there is no personal type God, but instead we're all part of some spiritual force conflicts with the Biblical paradigm (both old and new testaments) that there is a personal God who interacts with his creation.

I could go on, but I'm sure I've either lost or offended some of you, which was not my intention. I, and I assume KO, believe strongly in a personal God. We believe to understand in part the truth about our connection to the spiritual, but that doesn't mean we're right. That's the wonderful thing about faith, it is based on some body of information that we embrace to be true. The fact is, truth stands on its own and is not based on those who believe it to be true. Many who live on this spinning globe of ours will live and die believing things that are not true. Others, on what is true. I simply came to a point in my life where I decided it was important to explore what that truth might be and came to a conclusion that I found it, at least in part. I continue to seek to understand it in full and have a life time and eternity to do so. I see myself as a fellow seeker along with all who walk this planet. I'm not better than anyone and am always open to learning.

Please don't take all this that I, and others who believe strongly in our faith and aren't afraid to let others know about it, believe we are anything special or better than anyone else. It's never about us. It's never a belief that we are deserving more than anyone else or are even deserving period. We believe we've taken hold of the hand that God himself has extended to all of us even though we didn't deserve it, and simply do not want anyone to miss out on this exciting, intended and deeply meaningful connection with God.

DM, I feel like you have crossed a boundary here and I don't support it. We have been friendly on the Boneyard for several years, so I hope you don't take this for more than it is meant, but IMHO, this is not appropriate here.

Reaction Score
So basically you have the same mindset as the OP.Your just on the other side of the fence. op believes uconn is better off with a secular coach while you believe our nation is better off being more religious. both of you are entitled to your opinions but many would disagree as i do.
"looks like we got way off topic. It seems like obviously today they had an open practice or least were able to show up and ask questions so that may of been why there was such a long drought in new information, however u think maybe someone somewhere could break down the Arkansas game maybe?"-OP

The more poignant point is the one made above by the OP. Breaking down the Arkansas game is not a difficult task. I'm assuming OP was looking for an articulate analysis from a mainstream media source outside of the yard.

Reaction Score
I could take a counter position and literally slam everything you just wrote. Why don't you go on topic in another forum to preach? This really is ridiculous but expected in this case. This board is moderated? Feel free to ban me whenever you want.

Best of health to those who respect the separation of church and state.
BDH, feel free to share your thoughts if feel so compelled. I wasn't the one who brought up religion here, though took the opportunity to share some of my thoughts. I never expect people to agree with me and welcome a civil debate. As for separation between church and state, it has nothing to do with what's going on here, though maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

My intent was not to start a debate. I rarely if ever go to any of the other forums and have followed the Boneyard for many years now. It is not that unusual to have some off topic threads. In fact there are some topics at times I'm not all that crazy about. I simply don't participate in those thread.

With that said, I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. That was not my intent. God happens to be a big part of my life and I'm not ashamed of that nor going to worry about what others think. In fact, I rarely bring up my faith. I can think of two threads where I've done so over the past year or so. I simply compelled to share some of my thoughts and experience because it seemed that some felt that those who experience God on a regular basis and share about it, like KO does, is something that's bad here in CT and New England. I shouldn't have to be someone I'm not, just because I live in the North East. It's a good thing we live in a country where we can be open with our beliefs. There are still some placing around this world where doing so can cost you your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom