What the heck happened to J-Z? | The Boneyard

What the heck happened to J-Z?

Reaction Score
He looked cool in command and accurate against Illinois. He the looked liked like a guy who couldn't hit water from boat in the next two starts. He completely disintegrated. He looked against Indiana and that first pass against UCF was to nobody.

I feel bad for the kid. You would think after getting comfortable with the first team he would play better. Hope it turns out to be learning experience. Time to see what Steven Krajewski has.

Reaction Score
Better opponents, road games, a freshman overly hyped up, lots can go wrong.

He had some good moments in the Illinois game so I'm not giving up on the kid. He can still be a good QB with time and game reps.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You have an offensive coordinator who has never called a play or worked with a qb before this year. What could go wrong

Eh. Plays against Indiana were fine. Jack Zergiotis just couldn't throw anywhere near the receivers. Out of all the things I've seen still wrong with this team, pass play calling isn't one of them.

Reaction Score
Eh. Plays against Indiana were fine. Jack Zergiotis just couldn't throw anywhere near the receivers. Out of all the things I've seen still wrong with this team, pass play calling isn't one of them.

It's not so much about the playcalling. We all know edsall has the last say in that anyway.
Do we have any coaching talent on the offensive side of the ball that will be able to develop any of the qb's?

Reaction Score
Some kids need to be pumped up and handled in a manner the feeds their confidence. They tend to excel by positive external feedback. If your coach is mentally oriented towards not making mistakes and negative feedback it can quickly erode confidence. It makes kids overthink, be hesitant, become overly self critical. This is the Edsall way. No doubt. He ruins QBs.

Reaction Score
Additionally, IL which isn’t as good as UCF to start with played a 4th string, walk-on DB and other back ups due to injuries or suspensions. Were the Illini back ups as good as UCF’s 2nd, 3rd, 4th stringers? No legit way to compare, but just a consideration

Reaction Score
He's a 2* True Freshman QB from Canada. He's playing on a team with minimal talent. How exactly is he supposed to look against IU and UCF? Worst case scenario a player like this sees the field as RS SO. Ridiculous case scenario he's named the starter because he wasn't completely embarrassing in a loss.

Reaction Score
He looked cool in command and accurate against Illinois. He the looked liked like a guy who couldn't hit water from boat in the next two starts. He completely disintegrated. He looked against Indiana and that first pass against UCF was to nobody.

I feel bad for the kid. You would think after getting comfortable with the first team he would play better. Hope it turns out to be learning experience. Time to see what Steven Krajewski has.

Uh, he’s a true freshmen who clearly is not ready for this level?

In other words, you were wrong. Again.

Reaction Score
You have an offensive coordinator who has never called a play or worked with a qb before this year. What could go wrong
That's a major issue for us. Need consistency at the assistant coaching level too, not just the players.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He isn't ready for prime time, and that's okay considering he is a true freshman.
I would hope they sit him the rest of the year to give him some time in studying defenses.

Reaction Score
He is a true freshman.
Yes, he’s a true freshman, but even granting him the patience any young player deserves, the stark reality was that he couldn’t throw the ball with any accuracy and panicked under pressure. As the saying goes, adversity doesn’t build character, it reveals it. So too with QB acumen. Jack Zergiotis sputtered and never recovered. Steven Krajewski took his early lumps and then performed well. My hope is that he can hit the field with confidence vs USF and put his team in a position to win. I have a feeling he will.

Reaction Score
Yes, he’s a true freshman, but even granting him the patience any young player deserves, the stark reality was that he couldn’t throw the ball with any accuracy and panicked under pressure. As the saying goes, adversity doesn’t build character, it reveals it. So too with QB acumen. Jack Zergiotis sputtered and never recovered. Steven Krajewski took his early lumps and then performed well. My hope is that he can hit the field with confidence vs USF and put his team in a position to win. I have a feeling he will.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It was far from good but not fatal.

No different than minor league players sometimes struggling when they're called up.

He clearly needs time to grow.

More disconcerting than off Target throws and INTs were the fumbles. He has to hold on to ball. Yes, I made this comment specifically to start a hand size conversation tangent.

Reaction Score

Wow Jack Zergiotis’s parents must not have thanked you for the tailgate.

Reaction Score
What looks stupid is kid having good game, anointed savior of program, starter for rest of season and then pulled next game

This program more than anything needs stability and leadership.

The ship has the appearance of being rudderless right now and completely dependent on wind and currents.

Someone with Randy’s experience shouldn’t be struggling with this facet of coaching.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
What looks stupid is kid having good game, anointed savior of program, starter for rest of season and then pulled next game

This program more than anything needs stability and leadership.

The ship has the appearance of being rudderless right now and completely dependent on wind and currents.

Someone with Randy’s experience shouldn’t be struggling with this facet of coaching.
I think this is fair criticism. It’s odd to me how much Randy has struggled with the qb decision. He has had Steven Krajewski for 1.5 years....yet he doesn’t seem to know if Steven Krajewski is good enough to play. He didn’t use his 4 games last year. And he had him #3 going into the season (probably 4 if Leon wasn’t injured). Now he is all in with Steven Krajewski?

It makes me wonder if not having an experienced OC has impacted the situation.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

He should have said "-Former UConn assistant coach Lou Holtz"

1569857418607.png

Reaction Score
I thought Z looked like he had a good arm and he hit open guys in the Illinois game. Made some mistakes but basically shook the off and went back to work. Indiana was disappointing but not a complete surprise. Enough freshmen have looked good one day and awful the next but Central Florida he looked completely over matched. No poise no presence no nothing. Can’t explain it.

I don’t know what the deal is with Krajewski. Could be he just is one of those guys who doesn’t practice well. I thought he bounced back after a pretty awful start. Put up decent numbers and looked competent, albeit against the UCF B squad .

Honestly I think Edsall wanted Beaudry to play the first few games and see how it went. Not sure what the injury is. Seems like he is an emergency quarterback right now. As far as “annointing” a starter I’m not sure he has much choice. Would you want to send Z out there again? He oils probably benefit from watching from the sidelines for a bit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom