What team would you want to have in your regional? | The Boneyard

What team would you want to have in your regional?

Which team do you want to have in your regional?

• Baylor

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Louisville

• Marquette

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Oregon State

• Mississippi State

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Stanford

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Notre Dame

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If UCONN runs the table the rest of the way, they'll very likely be either a 1 or 2 seed in Albany. Looking at the top 10 teams, everyone is extremely intertwined....so UCONN fans, which team would you want to face as your opposing 1 or 2 seed in the potential regional final? Only 7 options are allowed, so I'll make some bold assumptions and assume the following:

Oregon will be in the Portland regional as a 1 or 2, so they aren't an option
NC State will be in Greensboro, so they're not an option

Which leaves the following 6 teams:
Baylor-already beat UCONN this year at home, but they are a streaky team and have a strong history of underperforming in the tournament

Louisville-already beat UCONN at home, but UCONN didn't put forth its best effort. Playing again in Albany will have a very different atmosphere.

Notre Dame-UCONN has already beat Notre Dame, but I don't get the feeling that UCONN fans wants to face Notre Dame before the title game.

Mississippi State-rematch from 2017 Final Four, albeit with very different rosters. Mississippi State has streaky shooting but is a dominant rebounding team, something that doesn't bode well for UCONN.

Stanford-a team that plays good basketball, has experience, and has a great coach capable of beating Geno

Oregon State-a dark horse favorite this year, they have a slew of great shooters but no solid post play. UCONN would match up favorably here.

Marquette-another dark horse team, they don't have a shot at a 1 but could be a dangerous 2. 5 seniors start and they nearly beat Mississippi State on the road with no size. Very athletic guards.

I think at this point in time, these 10 have stuck out as the cream of the crop in women's basketball. All of the teams are very well coached, have experienced players and I think pose to be legitimate Final Four threats. The only one I'm not fully sold on is NC State, but we'll find out a LOT about them when their brutal schedule starts soon.

At any rate, of the 7 options listed above, I think Oregon State would have the most trouble facing Connecticut since their lineup doesn't have blazing speed or a strong post presence like Marie Gulich. They also aren't as experienced as the other teams above, so I think UCONN would fare quite well in this matchup.

Overall though, this year feels the most wide open in a LONG time since UCONN isn't a step above the rest and overall the top teams in women's college basketball are all very upperclassmen heavy.

Reaction Score
I went with the likely option of Louisville. Which honestly, we have the better team. This is the best matchup for us among the top teams.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I was looking for these teams but for some reason didn't find them in the list:

Pitt
Virginia
Florida
Coppin State
Sisters of the Lonely and Downtrodden

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I was looking for these teams but for some reason didn't find them in the list:

Pitt
Virginia
Florida
Coppin State
Sisters of the Lonely and Downtrodden
I guess you haven't been keeping up on things. Sisters of the Lonely and Downtrodden has a postseason ban this year because of some sort of recruiting violation, so perhaps you could swap in a Division III school instead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom