What style offense do we run? | The Boneyard

What style offense do we run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry if this has already been addressed/discussed - but has Diaco/Verducci ever mentioned what they want our offense to look like at peak performance? I feel like we don't necessarily have an offensive identity yet and are just making due with what we have at this point (mainly due to the offensive line) - but I was curious if they have ever brought up the system buzz words - spread/power-spread/pro style, etc. when discussing the offense.

I thought this year had elements of the Stanford offense with the run heavy approach and TE usage, but I also see that it seems a dual threat QB is preferred. Is the Cincy/ND offense in Diaco's head from his Brian Kelly days? Curious if anyone is in the know/had thoughts on this.

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, from our recruiting of QB's, TE's and WR's, we want to be run first and use play-action to stretch the defense vertically. I expect to see lots of play-action roll outs out of the I and more read option out of the gun.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Sorry if this has already been addressed/discussed - but has Diaco/Verducci ever mentioned what they want our offense to look like at peak performance? I feel like we don't necessarily have an offensive identity yet and are just making due with what we have at this point (mainly due to the offensive line) - but I was curious if they have ever brought up the system buzz words - spread/power-spread/pro style, etc. when discussing the offense.

I thought this year had elements of the Stanford offense with the run heavy approach and TE usage, but I also see that it seems a dual threat QB is preferred. Is the Cincy/ND offense in Diaco's head from his Brian Kelly days? Curious if anyone is in the know/had thoughts on this.
1. What is the weather?
2. Who are we playing?
3. Who is the QB?

After that ask again.

Reaction Score
Its a run to set up the pass, and pass to set up the run.

What's most important, is that we get back to the point on offense, that when its 3rd and 1, we can get a play call in, get lined up, get the snap off, and get the first down reliably.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
HCBD is bringing in some huge, blot-out-the-sun type of kids on oline - looks like he's going for the good ol' fashioned Northeast Smashmouth approach.

Diaco clearly wants to be the biggest, most physical team on the field every Saturday - which is cool by me. Besides, a famous coach once said: all the fast guys start to slow down by November anyway...

Reaction Score
I think Diaco is setting up a pro style offense with a mobile QB. I would love to see Davis in there with a read type offense thrown in for good measure.

Reaction Score

Run, stay turnover free, hit a few passes, score two TD's, rely on the D to win an ugly game.

Reaction Score
HCBD is bringing in some huge, blot-out-the-sun type of kids on oline - looks like he's going for the good ol' fashioned Northeast Smashmouth approach.

Diaco clearly wants to be the biggest, most physical team on the field every Saturday - which is cool by me. Besides, a famous coach once said: all the fast guys start to slow down by November anyway...

I've been thinking the same thing.... If you can guarantee yourself to have the biggest team in your league, a good RB, and a Mobile QB it's a tough offense to defend. Couple that with the big arms we're bringing in and the caliber of WR's we have and it's a dangerous combo... End goal seems to be a Malzhan/Leach passing offense with a Stanford style rushing offense. Big line, good backs, big arms, deep vertical routes with advantages based on speed or size.

I haven't seen anyone run passing concepts based on Franklin/Malzhan/Leach yet under center. It's a novel concept if we run it. I'm trying to run something similar in my youth program.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I just want to see us get to the point where we're winning games in the first quarter as opposed to trying to get to the 4th quarter with a chance. It's a tough transition, philosophically, to alter your risk-reward calculus from risk averse to a higher risk tolerance. I think HCRE, for example, was always going to coach like an underdog even when he had the better athletes.

Reaction Score
I just want to see us get to the point where we're winning games in the first quarter as opposed to trying to get to the 4th quarter with a chance. It's a tough transition, philosophically, to alter your risk-reward calculus from risk averse to a higher risk tolerance. I think HCRE, for example, was always going to coach like an underdog even when he had the better athletes.

We should try and be a team that scores enough points in the first half where our defense gives us a good chance to win the game. If we can average 17pts in the first half under Diaco I think we'll be in a good position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom