What should we make of this??? | The Boneyard

What should we make of this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"Other high schoolers to make it are A’ja Wilson, a 6-4 forward from Hopkins, S.C.; Brianna Turner, a 6-3 forward from Pearland, Texas; and Gabby Green, a 6-1 guard from Oakland, Calif. This was Wilson’s first tryout for USA Basketball. As if life for other teams was not difficult enough in UConn’s universe, she said last week – during the trials – that Storrs was a likely college destination. She flew to the trials on the same flight as the UConn trio.

With that, UConn has dropped its pursuit of Turner who has Baylor and Duke as her top two choices. Green, though, remains another UConn possibility. The hint: She played on Team Taurasi in California summer leagues."

From Mel Greenberg's blog..... LINK

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think Mel's reaching here. She said during the trials that Storrs is a likely destination for one of her college visits.

Edit: it wasn't Mel who wrote this but some guy named Mike Siroky who writes for his blog.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I think Mel's reaching here. She said during the trials that Storrs is a likely destination for one of college visits.
That's what I thought she meant. But her hanging out so much with Stewie and co. Is a big plus.

HGN

Reaction Score
"Other high schoolers to make it are A’ja Wilson, a 6-4 forward from Hopkins, S.C.; Brianna Turner, a 6-3 forward from Pearland, Texas; and Gabby Green, a 6-1 guard from Oakland, Calif. This was Wilson’s first tryout for USA Basketball. As if life for other teams was not difficult enough in UConn’s universe, she said last week – during the trials – that Storrs was a likely college destination. She flew to the trials on the same flight as the UConn trio.

With that, UConn has dropped its pursuit of Turner who has Baylor and Duke as her top two choices. Green, though, remains another UConn possibility. The hint: She played on Team Taurasi in California summer leagues."

From Mel Greenberg's blog..... LINK
Good Link, Pap.........Do you think she was just referring to Storrs as a possible 'Official visit' destination ; or do you think she was sort of saying that Storrs was a final college destination for her ? I didn't see her original statement.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Strange linkage: Wilson to visit U Conn (none news) and "with that UConn has dropped its pursuit of Turner...." Perfect example of Blog speak BS.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yes, sounds like pure (and possibly harmful) speculation only.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
This and a cup of coffee gets you...a cup of coffee

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hard to really read anything into that especially since she's not even visited UCONN yet. And there's a likelihood that she will add a few more schools besides UCONN and SC to her list. However, Gabby Green is a "new" name with regards to UCONN interest to me. Maybe the staff feels Calhoun is wavering and they want another 6'1" wing-type kid to look at.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
However, Gabby Green is a "new" name with regards to UCONN interest to me. Maybe the staff feels Calhoun is wavering and they want another 6'1" wing-type kid to look at.

You know what they say, you can't ever too many good Gabby's. Or something like that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You know what they say, you can't ever too many good Gabby's. Or something like that.
You know, we went thru the Bria/Bree's etc (Brianna, Bria, Breanna), and then thru the Mo's (Moriah and Morgan) so it makes sense that we'd load up on some Gabby's!!!

Reaction Score
Strange linkage: Wilson to visit U Conn (none news) and "with that UConn has dropped its pursuit of Turner...." Perfect example of Blog speak BS.

That's not that strange of a linkage. A big part of Geno and CD's traditional recruiting pitch is exclusivity. They're bold enough to tell a recruit that they want she is the special player they have identified, and that they're willing to risk missing out on other top recruits. Sometimes it doesn't work, but a lot of times that all in approach works really well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That's not that strange of a linkage. A big part of Geno and CD's traditional recruiting pitch is exclusivity. They're bold enough to tell a recruit that they want she is the special player they have identified, and that they're willing to risk missing out on other top recruits. Sometimes it doesn't work, but a lot of times that all in approach works really well.

I can understand it as a recruiting tool when it will close a deal so to speak. But this is just a blogger's chit chat unless you know differently. There is no commitment, so there would be no reason to drop pursuit of the other player.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
"All is not gold that glitters, and all is not pork that is pie." Not all committments are publically reported when made, for a variety of reasons.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"All is not gold that glitters, and all is not pork that is pie." Not all committments are publically reported when made, for a variety of reasons.
I thought the phrase was "Not every 'Pi' is apple."

Reaction Score
I can understand it as a recruiting tool when it will close a deal so to speak. But this is just a blogger's chit chat unless you know differently. There is no commitment, so there would be no reason to drop pursuit of the other player.

You misunderstood me. UConn will absolutely drop pursuit of other players once they identify the player they want most long before that player makes a commitment. This is a Geno way of operating that he used even before UConn was an elite program. Geno makes it clear to the recruit that UConn is committed to the recruit even though that recruit has yet to commit to UConn, and UConn demonstrates its commitment by backing off similar players that they had been recruiting. UConn tells a recruit it is you or no one, and we will wait for you to decide whether you want to commit even if it means missing out on other players.

I'm not saying Wilson is secretly committed to UConn. I'm saying that when the coaches identified Wilson to be the player they wanted the most, stopping or significantly back off recruiting a similar player like Turner fits with their typical recruiting practices. It is the double edged sword of the UConn recruiting style. They're conservative who they will recruit, but then they're willing to risk a lot on those few players they do decide to recruit. They don't play many hands, but they're willing to push all their chips in when they decide to play.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You misunderstood me. UConn will absolutely drop pursuit of other players once they identify the player they want most long before that player makes a commitment. This is a Geno way of operating that he used even before UConn was an elite program. Geno makes it clear to the recruit that UConn is committed to the recruit even though that recruit has yet to commit to UConn, and UConn demonstrates its commitment by backing off similar players that they had been recruiting. UConn tells a recruit it is you or no one, and we will wait for you to decide whether you want to commit even if it means missing out on other players.

I'm not saying Wilson is secretly committed to UConn. I'm saying that when the coaches identified Wilson to be the player they wanted the most, stopping or significantly back off recruiting a similar player like Turner fits with their typical recruiting practices. It is the double edged sword of the UConn recruiting style. They're conservative who they will recruit, but then they're willing to risk a lot on those few players they do decide to recruit. They don't play many hands, but they're willing to push all their chips in when they decide to play.

I find that weird and frankly hard to believe. Could explain a few painful years of post player draught however. Why weird? Because I do not know how you sell that strategy. We like you so much, we are going to withdraw interest/and offers for all of your competition. Me, as a candidate, listening to that, well, I am inclined to say: Your Xs and Os chart is broken! So I am calling Coach X as soon as I can.

You are turning over your team make up and whether it has a hole in it, to a 17 year old. I see nothing in Geno's make up to give that strategy credence.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Z could you give me 2 or 3 of those reasons? Would you be prepared to testify to that effect to a select committee of the Senate?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I find that weird and frankly hard to believe. Could explain a few painful years of post player draught however. Why weird? Because I do not know how you sell that strategy. We like you so much, we are going to withdraw interest/and offers for all of your competition. Me, as a candidate, listening to that, well, I am inclined to say: Your Xs and Os chart is broken! So I am calling Coach X as soon as I can.

You are turning over your team make up and whether it has a hole in it, to a 17 year old. I see nothing in Geno's make up to give that strategy credence.
Geno explains the strategy in his book a bit. He also doesn't like when recruits come to visit and then wait to see other schools before committing. In his mind, if they come to visit Connecticut and aren't prepared to commit, they will never be.

Now, I don't know if he has shifted this strategy over the years. But as fans, I really don't think we have room to complain about the caliber of players we get to see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom