What shot(s) is more difficult to make? | The Boneyard

What shot(s) is more difficult to make?

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
After watching Kyle Guy hit three free throws with essentially no time left to send Virginia to the Championship game, it got me thinking about Ogunbowale’s last-second shots last year in the Final Four and Championship game. Which is more difficult: nailing a three at the buzzer under intense defensive pressure or needing to make all three free throws with no time left on the clock, with a timeout thrown in to ice you?

Obviously the three had an obvious wow factor because of the difficulty, but at that point, you aren’t thinking and running off of adrenaline. But with each free throw, you have time to ponder and lose your concentration, especially given the enormity of the situation. So which is more difficult to do?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
O'wale shot was much harder.

This guy sits at the line, dry his hands, take a few deep breaths, a few dribbles, wiggle his arms and legs if he wishes... and swish (repeat routine 2 more times) #cake

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Disagree. Arike's shot was mainly physical with adrenaline at the peak etc. No time for worry and if she did not make it, the world would not hold it against her and call her a 'choker'. What Guy did was insanely clutch under the circumstances.

Reaction Score
IMO, I'd much rather take the contested 3. No time to think about consequences, just react.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The AO shot was much harder to make based on angle/trajectory/etc. The higher percentage shot by far are the free throws, but they're more mentally draining too. As a coach youd much rather have your team shooting free throws than taking a shot line AO took at the buzzer.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Disagree. Arike's shot was mainly physical with adrenaline at the peak etc. No time for worry and if she did not make it, the world would not hold it against her and call her a 'choker'. What Guy did was insanely clutch under the circumstances.
I'm with DC on this. While not a piece of cake because of the pressure. It is infinitely easier making a shot standing still than on the move while being defended.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
For me, the most difficult shot is a downhill left to right break from 12 feet or more. Just mark me for a 3 putt and move on:mad:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
After watching Kyle Guy hit three free throws with essentially no time left to send Virginia to the Championship game, it got me thinking about Ogunbowale’s last-second shots last year in the Final Four and Championship game. Which is more difficult: nailing a three at the buzzer under intense defensive pressure or needing to make all three free throws with no time left on the clock, with a timeout thrown in to ice you?

From a pressure point of view in my opinion making a must shot in the course of game action even with defensive pressure is the easier of the two. I only played high school, college intramural, and industrial league basketball. So no great stakes. I never felt pressure in the game situation. Everything was moving quickly and making such a shot in the flow of the game didn't seem hard. Everything seemed automatic. No time for doubt. I felt having to make a foul shot was harder because I had time to think about missing. Our high school coach taught us to take the free throws quickly to minimize time for negative thoughts. I noticed Kyle Guy took his foul shots relatively quickly once he was given the ball. In end the answer may be both depending on the player and his/her confidence in each situation. Confidence is the key. How many game winning shots did Larry Bird make? I don't know but he did so in both game action and the foul line. I remember Danny Ainge and Kevin McHale both saying they thought they were very confident players until they met Bird. OK! I found a video of Ainge talking about Bird's confidence level. It is actually funny if you watch the whole video.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Didn't both of #24's baskets come with the score tied?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Didn't both of #24's baskets come with the score tied?
If you mean the 2 buzzer-beaters in the 2018 Final Four, yes, both were with the score tied.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom