What now? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What now?

Reaction Score
LOL... lights are up, dugouts and outfield walls are up, scoreboard installed, turf going down in the next few weeks.

You do know the Big East has an auto-bid to CWS.

Yep...good thing. The Big East had one team in a regional last year...Creighton, their champion.

And one team the year before...their champion, St. Johns.

And one team in 2016...Champ Xavier.

Reaction Score
But it will be hurting baseball! When a conference is 5th best, to join a 20th best conference, you aren't going to be respected. That would be like Florida - if they started an ice hockey program - to jump from the SEC to the Southern Conference so the hockey team can play in the Hockey East! Maybe that is not a good comparison, but UConn is damaging baseball!

The AAC has better depth than the Big East but UConn as a program can overcome that w/ smart out of out of conference scheduling and winning consistently as they have.

UConn already has the respect/reputation as a solid college baseball program - they are not trying to build that.

They had a solid reputation when they were in the Big East previously and it will continue heading back to the Big East.

>>For the purpose of this exercise, we don’t care what happened in the 1970s or 80s, or even the 90s — that’s ancient history to a potential recruit in 2019. Tradition is nice, but it’s more important to establish a tradition of consistent winning in the last decade, and especially in the last five years. Our ultimate goal here is to identify the programs in the best shape right now, with an eye toward the next five to 10 years. <<

36. Connecticut (2017 Rank: 57). The Huskies just keep moving up the rankings, and that’s a testament to head coach Jim Penders and his coaching staff. UConn is in the process of building a brand new, beautiful facility. But fans across the country would be astonished if they saw what the Huskies were playing in before while also putting together consistent winning seasons and postseason appearances. UConn has reached the NCAA tournament in three of the last four seasons, going 38-25 back in 2016 before narrowly missing the tourney in 2017 with a solid 33-25 mark. Penders’ program has made back-to-back tourney appearances the last two seasons, going 37-22 two seasons ago before once again impressing with a 39-25 mark this past season. Like most Northern schools, there’s no doubt the Huskies have some obstacles, but the nation now views them as a consistent winner with a solid national brand. — Kendall Rogers<<

Reaction Score
Actually, staying in the AAC was killing all our other sports. And, in case you weren’t paying attention, it hasn’t exactly been great for the health of the football program either.
If Tulane can win, so can we. We've been mismanaged, plain and simple. Conference has nothing to do with our showing. Other than somewhat traditionally incompetent programs look like they are run by geniuses right now.

The fact Temple, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU can all win throws any anti-AAC arguments out the window. We left the conference due to a bad TV deal.

Reaction Score
We went from of the the best baseball conference to one of the worst. Creighton was the champs last year. Sorry, but the baseball will fail in the Big East. We are going to sacrifice all of our teams, to try to return to greatness in men's basketball. Men's basketball was ruined not by the AAC, but by hiring THE PAUL PASQUALONI OF MEN'S BASKETBALL - Kevin Ollie!

Football was hurt by idiots running the Athletic Department who hired the wrong coaches!!

When PP gets a national championship it will be the first. Yes, KO struggled and deserved to be fired but to call him PP of Men's basketball is just insulting.

Reaction Score
Can't wait to be in the Big East and be back home. It's time we realize the Football experiment was a mistake and right the wrongs that were done to the basketball program over the last 5 years.

Reaction Score
What I would see is UConn asking the AAC if they can be FB only. Independence will kill the program, we aren't BYU or ND, so the Athletic Department is killing FB to save Basketball, but they are going to kill baseball, too. AAC is the 5th ranked conference in baseball, Big East is 20th. I think they should stop building the new baseball stadium...
Kill the program? The program has been dead for years, and we hired the snake who helped kill it. Now that snake is coaching the worst program in the country two years in a row.

Reaction Score
Actually, staying in the AAC was killing all our other sports. And, in case you weren’t paying attention, it hasn’t exactly been great for the health of the football program either.
This board is the dumbest place on the interwebz.

Reaction Score
During the Illinois game, there were what seemed to be some signs of improvement, and the crowd was really pulling for these kids to put up a signature win. They were right in that game, and it was the first real tangible hope for turning this program around. Since then, they have suffered Diacoesque poundings every week with no signs of improvement. After listening to the latest Hartford Courant insider podcast(essentially a basketball preview), the discussion changed to football and topic of “What does Uconn do?” Dom Amore seemed to suggest that perhaps yet again is the time to start over again with a different coach given that UC is going independent. Fresh start and all that. It seems as though all the options are pretty poor. I would like to hear what others think of the best way to get out of this crappy spiral.

I get what your saying, but the fact is that Illinois wouldn’t have been a signature win. I get that it’s a name and a big ten program but they stink and were playing a walk on and 2 third stringers on defense. I actually expected to win that game. Illinois is really bad, I think it may have given a lot of people a false sense of hope unfortunately that it was a competitive game.

Reaction Score
If Tulane can win, so can we. We've been mismanaged, plain and simple. Conference has nothing to do with our showing. Other than somewhat traditionally incompetent programs look like they are run by geniuses right now.

The fact Temple, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU can all win throws any anti-AAC arguments out the window. We left the conference due to a bad TV deal.
I agree with the mismanagement thing, but I don't think it was the TV deal. If I remember correctly, being in the conference always had negative connotations for UConn fans. The other AAC schools seemed to embrace the conference, (at least by outward appearance) and used it to improve their athletic programs. UConn, reeling from the desertion after the Fiesta Bowl, the bad hires, poor administration, all took their toll and it may have become clear to the administration that there was just no sense to persist here.

Reaction Score
This board is the dumbest place on the interwebz.
You don't surf around the web a lot, do you?

Dumbest? Not even close. There are some astonishingly stupid places just a few clicks away. Take the average yahoo comments section as an easy example. Spend even 5 minutes on a comment section of your typical story and you will have a whole new outlook on the average BYer. In fact, I give people here a lot of credit. On average, people at the boneyard are of above average intelligence, IMO. Maybe some are a little more grumpy than your average person but I think people here are pretty smart despite the occasional odd take. In the end they are only odd takes on sports which does not represent a persons overall intelligence all that much...just sports. Or maybe you just said that in jest in which case, carry on!

I agree with Guapo a little, the aac was doing Uconn no favors, at least brand wise. Glad they are moving back to the BE and hope they can find a solution for FB, somehow. The move back to the BE will generate a lot of interest in Uconn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with the mismanagement thing, but I don't think it was the TV deal. If I remember correctly, being in the conference always had negative connotations for UConn fans. The other AAC schools seemed to embrace the conference, (at least by outward appearance) and used it to improve their athletic programs. UConn, reeling from the desertion after the Fiesta Bowl, the bad hires, poor administration, all took their toll and it may have become clear to the administration that there was just no sense to persist here.
Some people here don't grasp that long term survival in college athletics, especially for very large schools, involves having a football program.

We should be back in football one day, just no idea when. We've been fortunate to have a very successful athletic department, in spite of some lousy decisions.

Reaction Score
Some of these posts crack me up. Indy would kill this program, really? It is dead already absolutely stone cold dead. We are being outclassed by Tulane. We will lose this game by 40+! This team won’t sniff another win this season. I had some hope with HCRE 2.0 but that has long waned. If I was a school administrator or trustee, I would be seriously considering a move to FCS or total shutdown, those options have to be on the table. Honestly don’t think we would be a .500 program in FCS with this roster. I just can’t believe this is where we are, am totally sick over it.

Reaction Score
Hiring Edsall was a mistake. I couldn't believe it at the time (thought the early announcements were a prank). The sooner UConn gets rid of him the better. Need an offensive-minded, pass-loving coach. Think back, the closest UConn has come to being competitve and entertaining was '17 under Lashee and Shiriffs. Randy-ball went out in the '60s. Why can't UConn get that concept.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Everyone who is angry about the move still thinks there is a chance of conference realignment. And to that point that UConn is the team everyone wants. Conference realignment is over. UConn athletics was dying in the AAC due to lack of rivalries, continued bad leadership in the Athletic Department, Miscalculations at the presidential level of what it took to get in the ACC, poor coaching and recruiting by PP, BD, and RE, and a fan base who is sick and tired of being not only bad but the worse football product this side of Kansas.

We all wish we could have made the transition to a P5. Hell, we wish we could just be competitive in the AAC. But the cat is out of the bag and we just pulled up with an ACL tear. Football is done. But basketball still has a chance to survive. I am not willing to give that up by staying in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Other than baseball there is not a single men’s athletic program that is worth a crap right now at UConn.

Reaction Score
Other than baseball there is not a single men’s athletic program that is worth a crap right now at UConn.

Well, we know that is untrue but even if you were down on all of the other men’s programs you would still have to say they are FBS competitive. FB is absolutely not and no coach worth a damn is coming here regardless of age.

Reaction Score
I've stayed quiet about UConn Football for so long but I can't take it anymore. Edsall needs to be fired, maybe even after the game.

I'm not sure why his re-hire was viewed as such a positive. He was not a good coach at Maryland and while he worked in the mid-2000s, he has not been an effective head coach for nearly 10 years. I'm not giving up on football but it needs a new direction. We've reached a borderline point-of-no-return with this program.

Reaction Score
Can't wait to be in the Big East and be back home. It's time we realize the Football experiment was a mistake and right the wrongs that were done to the basketball program over the last 5 years.

Good one. The basketball team reeking has nothing to do with the conference. They just stunk due to horrible management of the team.

Reaction Score
Baseball really! How many national championships have they won or are in the future!

Reaction Score
Drop to FCS and join the NEC. Some very good teams—Duquesne, CCSU, Robert Morris, Wagner, Sacred Heart,...
Teams are all in the Northeast so you’ll save on travel costs. You can pick up a couple OOC FBS games per year. ‍
(I’ll duck while all of you start throwing stuff at me for that suggestion.)

Reaction Score
Drop to FCS and join the NEC. Some very good teams—Duquesne, CCSU, Robert Morris, Wagner, Sacred Heart,...
Teams are all in the Northeast so you’ll save on travel costs. You can pick up a couple OOC FBS games per year. ‍
(I’ll duck while all of you start throwing stuff at me for that suggestion.)

In addition to this, I’ve been a big proponent of the app idea where people in the stands get a chance to vote for the next play.

Reaction Score
Baseball really! How many national championships have they won or are in the future!
Jackass I said right now. Your b-ball program was 16-17 last year and that was an improvement over year before where it was one of worst in country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom