What? No BAD-ASS? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What? No BAD-ASS?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There was a play in the game when Laksa received the ball at the arc on what looked like your basic catch and shoot 3-pt shoot, only to have Kia come flying at her with her arm extended. Kia’s momentum caused her to go crashing into UConn’s bench, but it also caused Laksa to double clutch on her shot, before finally releasing it. With her timing off, Laksa put up a clanker, part of her 0-11 shooting night.

Now that’s what I call BADASS!

Exactly. This type of effort does not show up on the stat sheet, or is as impressive as a made 3 point shot, but both will win games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I originally voted for Napheesa (I was a prisoner of the moment), however...upon further review and reflection, I'm going to change my vote to Kia. We must remember that to be a Bad-Ass, does not mean you have be the team's leading scorer. While it's true that Kia did not light it up on the offensive end of the court last night, she did do work on the defensive end.

I would not say you were a prisoner of the moment, Pheesa had a great all around game, not just points. 12-15 (25 points) is pretty impressive and so is 11 rebounds, 4 assists, (defensively) 4 blocks and 2 steals. I did not rewatch and isolate but I know she was a big part of why USF did not drive into the lane successfully. Using the same formula, and without adding a full 21 points for defending a particular player (which others guarded too as they switched,) Pheesa wins my vote. But great game by both for sure, I just think Pheesa's was a little more bad-ass overall.

## Player Name FG-FGA FG-FGA FT-FTA OF DE TOT PF Tyler Phommachanh A TO BLK S MIN
15 Williams,Gabby...... f 3-7 0-0 3-4 1 8 9 0 9 6 1 1 3 26
24 Collier,Napheesa.... f 12-15 1-2 0-1 3 8 11 1 25 4 0 4 2 28
05 Dangerfield,Crystal. g 4-10 2-6 0-0 0 2 2 0 10 5 1 0 1 28
11 Nurse,Kia........... g 2-5 1-4 3-5 2 2 4 1 8 5 0 1 2 34
33 Samuelson,Katie Lou. g 4-9 4-7 3-4 0 3 3 3 15 3 0 0 2 22

Reaction Score
I'm not discounting or minimizing what Napheesa did Saturday. Napheesa did what she does. She ran the floor, filled the lanes on fast breaks, and scored in the paint and on mid-range shots. Just another day at the office.

I remind everyone that Laksa is not a scrub. There are players in division one that are close to unstoppable, no matter what. She is one of them. Laska can score the basketball. Kia took her out of the game, which is one of the reasons why the margin of victory was so large.

No one else has been able to do that before. During several possessions, Laksa didn't even touch the ball, as Kia denied her access. That's much harder than putting a shot up. That entails playing defense the entire duration of a given possession.

Most of the time, unless an announcer mentions it, viewers are not aware that a player has not scored. When a player throws a blanket over an opponent, it does not show up in the box score or the highlight reel. Scoring 25 points will easily over shadow any defensive effort or accomplishment. Kia Nurse was the badass of Saturday's game. My hat is off to Ms. Nurse for a job Well done.

Laksa's HARD fouls told the story of her frustrations at the other end, Kia bouncing back up, the double in your face and in your head performance.

Reaction Score
I originally voted for Napheesa (I was a prisoner of the moment), however...upon further review and reflection, I'm going to change my vote to Kia.
Same experience. . . if I had to choose. Worth noting that Phees had 4 blks and 2 stls., 11 rebs., and of course 25 pts on 12 for 15 shooting. I think most of those were close to the rim (which is why Phees doesn't get enough love). It's easy not to notice how she gets there. Hence, the silent assassin.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Laksa's HARD fouls told the story of her frustrations at the other end, Kia bouncing back up, the double in your face and in your head performance.

Correct!!! There was "payback" intended on those hard fouls. I loved the way Kia bounced up smiling and grinning, and shrugged it off. A totally forgettable game in the minds of Jose Fernandez and his Lady Bulls...............until Feb 26, when USF visits Storrs to closeout regular season play for both teams.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Same experience. . . if I had to choose. Worth noting that Phees had 4 blks and 2 stls., 11 rebs., and of course 25 pts on 12 for 15 shooting. I think most of those were close to the rim (which is why Phees doesn't get enough love). It's easy not to notice how she gets there. Hence, the silent assassin.

Which is easier.........standing in the corner waiting for the ball to come around to you for a quick "catch and launch" 3 point shot, or guarding (chasing/constantly moving) an opposing player all over half court for the duration of the shot clock, the entire game?

Maya would do the same thing. She'd have 20-25 points at the end of a game, and you'd wonder when did she score all of those points? Like Roberta Flack (Killing you softly), Maya would do it so smoothly and without fanfare, like a paper cut. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'll also point out that UConn's defense is always a team effort. Gabby and Azura each had at least one block against Laksa. Jesperson averaged 17 and had 8 on 3-13 shooting; Ferreira averaged 12 and had 4 on 1-16. Kia was really impressive and had a lot to do with shutting Laksa down, but there was a whole lotta defense going on, including on Pheesa's part.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'll also point out that UConn's defense is always a team effort. Gabby and Azura each had at least one block against Laksa. Jesperson averaged 17 and had 8 on 3-13 shooting; Ferreira averaged 12 and had 4 on 1-16. Kia was really impressive and had a lot to do with shutting Laksa down, but there was a whole lotta defense going on, including on Pheesa's part.
As you point out, defense is always a team effort, and Kia got a lot of help from her teammates, but watching the game again today, I focused on Kia and she was absolutely on a mission, relentlessly pursuing Laksa all over the court.

I suspect Kia may have even showed up in Laksa’s nightmares last night.

Reaction Score
Of course everyone contributed to the defensive effort and Pheesa's offensive efforts are certainly not overlooked. Heck, she may get AAC Player of the Week honors because it will be a cold day in hell before a purely defensive effort earns it. But USF came to play and the refs let them play, and rather hard at times. It wasn't just that Kia shut Laksa down, and much of it was single-handed, but she comes equipped with an attitude, seemingly relishing the opportunity to "mix it up" a bit. She's got that bit of DT in her although she may be more subtle about it. I think back to the ND game when Mabrey appeared to be giving Collier and the ref some lip. Kia moved into the vicinity to make her presence known and the party quickly disbanded. Not sure who's bringing that type of intimidation next year. Can't recall another UCONN player with the same presence since DT.

Reaction Score
Of course everyone contributed to the defensive effort and Pheesa's offensive efforts are certainly not overlooked. Heck, she may get AAC Player of the Week honors because it will be a cold day in hell before a purely defensive effort earns it. But USF came to play and the refs let them play, and rather hard at times. It wasn't just that Kia shut Laksa down, and much of it was single-handed, but she comes equipped with an attitude, seemingly relishing the opportunity to "mix it up" a bit. She's got that bit of DT in her although she may be more subtle about it. I think back to the ND game when Mabrey appeared to be giving Collier and the ref some lip. Kia moved into the vicinity to make her presence known and the party quickly disbanded. Not sure who's bringing that type of intimidation next year. Can't recall another UCONN player with the same presence since DT.

Can't say enough good about Kia. I absolutely agree . . . in terms of toughness and attitude, Kia is a UConn legend. There has got to be a place for her on the Wall.

Another favorite moment from the game against USF--how Kia never gives up on a play, is always involved and looking to make something happen. A scrum following a miss. Kia chases down the rolling ball at the top of the key. Having already seen Kyla off to the left, Kia grabs the ball from the floor, moving to her right. She then immediately fires low and across her body -- a rope to Kyla's hip; Kyla catches and drains a 3. Whadda pass!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom