What makes Stewie such an incandescent player? | The Boneyard

What makes Stewie such an incandescent player?

Reaction Score
We all know Stewie is an incandescent player. That is obvious. But, I ask, why? What factors cause her to be so great?

I think there are three factors.

1. Immense natural talent.
We all know about Stewie's height, her length, her incredible athleticism. That is natural talent. This is like a great musician having a great ear and a phenomenal musical memory, or a great physicist having immense cognitive ability and power.

2. World-class training
No one can be so world-class without getting the finest training available. Well, Stewie sure got that: at UConn with Geno and CD. And, also, her playing up in USA Basketball, e.g., playing U-16 when she was but 14. This reminds me of Michael Phelps, who started training with Bob Bowman, a world-class coach, when he was only 11, because his sister was an Olympic-level swimmer. Or the great physicist Richard Feynman, trained at MIT and Princeton, who spent his early 20's at Los Alamos with some of the greatest physicists in the world--Bohr, Bethe, von Neumann, etc., etc.

3. The will to be truly great
As we know, Stewie works so very hard on her game. We all know the story of her dribbling the ball around the block for a mile every day when she was a kid. Etc., etc. (There is a story that when Michael Phelps was training for Beijing, after a 20-hour plane flight home from Japan, the first thing he did was call Bowman and say, "Let's train.")

We have all seen so many talented people (athletes, and others) who squander their talent. How sad. But, with Stewie, the work ethic is part of who she is.

Stewie has these three in spades. These are what make her the Stewie we all love to watch.

Thoughts?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thoughts?
Incandescent is a seldom used, though appropriate, compliment. Otherwise fully agree.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Extreme Confidence. She knows she will come through. Even if she has a bad stretch or a bad shooting game etc, she will find a way to impose her will.

Also, ridiculously unselfish playing at her own pace and trying to get everyone involved.

Reaction Score
Her split second decision making and mid-range shooting have always impressed me. Obviously she is solid in every aspect of her game, and even after a great play on offense she instantly shifts to defense ie. no celebrating while the ball is live. I'm just glad to have been able to watch her play as she may well be the best ever.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
All of the comments above ring true. I would add:

1. 7'1" wingspan. Helps her rebounding and shot blocking obviously, but also she knows she can get her shot off in any situation. She also has a high release.

2. Very accurate shooter from deep. Makes her impossible to guard.

3. She glides around the court. Moves very easily and athletically. Very quick for someone her size. Or of any size.

4. The moment is never too big for her, she embraces the big stage. She expects to win, has a long track record to draw upon, and is not afraid of losing. Her attitude is "we got this".

5. She has generally been in situations where she has good teammates who also play unselfish basketball.

Reaction Score
There are several articles about Breanna's upbringing and how her parents instilled in her the habits and mentality that would lead her to her success. Without those building blocks nothing extraordinary happens.

Reaction Score
Her split second decision making and mid-range shooting have always impressed me. Obviously she is solid in every aspect of her game, and even after a great play on offense she instantly shifts to defense ie. no celebrating while the ball is live. I'm just glad to have been able to watch her play as she may well be the best ever.
Very little chatting to refs either. I don't think she has quite the record to be the GOAT yet, but for me this where is she is ahead of Diana by a mile. Maybe two miles.

Another thing I love about Stewie is her personal way of using her length. She really uses it all, quickly and knows it's limit to the millimeter. How many times have I seen her arm shoot out to snag a ball that looked way out of reach, and she didn't even move her feet.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Personally, I’d go with fluorescent and a lot of LED!

fluo·res·cent
Perhaps Laser Focused leading to a Fusion of highly energetic elements culminating in a nuclear explosion

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Perhaps Laser Focused leading to a Fusion of highly energetic elements culminating in a nuclear explosion
That would make her parents very proud, although she already is the light of their life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom