What It Takes To Schedule Homecoming Games | The Boneyard

What It Takes To Schedule Homecoming Games

sun

Reaction Score
The new Pitt coach Tori Verdi didn't have a problem playing UConn in a secret scrimmage last year when he was the HC of UMass.
As a native of New Britain, CT, he must have some familiarity with Geno & UConn WBB from his youth too.
Maybe he got some bad feedback from his AD about going forward with the game due to where it was expected to be played.
UConn players already had visas because of their trip to Italy, but it could have meant that all of the Pitt players would need to get visas too, not a routine task or requirement for US teams.
There could have also been financial reasons related to renting out the venue or not being able to make any or enough revenue for the Pitt program.
In the article, Geno didn't mention any of the fine details about why Verdi didn't want to go forward with the game.
There may have been several legimate reasons.
Just 2 coaches and programs bucking heads.
I'm surprised that some reporter didn't call Verdi & ask him about it just for the sake of publicity & giving him a fair opportunity to respond.

Reaction Score
The new Pitt coach Tori Verdi didn't have a problem playing UConn in a secret scrimmage last year when he was the HC of UMass.
As a native of New Britain, CT, he must have some familiarity with Geno & UConn WBB from his youth too.
Maybe he got some bad feedback from his AD about going forward with the game due to where it was expected to be played.
UConn players already had visas because of their trip to Italy, but it could have meant that all of the Pitt players would need to get visas too, not a routine task or requirement for US teams.
There could have also been financial reasons related to renting out the venue or not being able to make any or enough revenue for the Pitt program.
In the article, Geno didn't mention any of the fine details about why Verdi didn't want to go forward with the game.
There may have been several legimate reasons.
Just 2 coaches and programs bucking heads.
I'm surprised that some reporter didn't call Verdi & ask him about it just for the sake of publicity & giving him a fair opportunity to respond.
I suspect you meant passport, not visa. You don't need a visa for Canada. On the other hand, if you don't have a passport, you're not getting one anytime soon.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
As far as I know, you don't need a passport to visit Canada. If Pitt had any foreign players on their roster they would have already had a passport just to get to the USA. The reason for scheduling UConn would be to show the players the bar in which they would have to reach to be a legitimate contender, but the biggest thing would be to fill up their arena for their fans. Having the game in Toronto would not accomplish that, so if the game was in Pennsylvania he may have played.

Reaction Score
As far as I know, you don't need a passport to visit Canada. If Pitt had any foreign players on their roster they would have already had a passport just to get to the USA. The reason for scheduling UConn would be to show the players the bar in which they would have to reach to be a legitimate contender, but the biggest thing would be to fill up their arena for their fans. Having the game in Toronto would not accomplish that, so if the game was in Pennsylvania he may have played.
I think they changed that 3 or 4 years ago. You do need a passport to get into Canada. Can any BY'er verify this?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think they changed that 3 or 4 years ago. You do need a passport to get into Canada. Can any BY'er verify this?
Yes it was changed a few years back. When I lived in Syracuse many years ago, my wife and I took several trips to Canada. All that was required then was a valid driver’s license. Now, a U.S. resident must show either a valid US passport or a NEXUS card, which is like a passport, but only applies to the Canadian/US border.

Reaction Score
As the game was scheduled well in advance, wouldn't US players have been able to obtain a passport in time? I don't know how long it takes in the US however I would like to believe it would have been feasible.

Reaction Score
As the game was scheduled well in advance, wouldn't US players have been able to obtain a passport in time? I don't know how long it takes in the US however I would like to believe it would have been feasible.
The last I heard the wait time can be 3 or 4 months. I'm not sure if that can be expedited with $$$. (Everything else can...).

Reaction Score
The last I heard the wait time can be 3 or 4 months. I'm not sure if that can be expedited with $$$. (Everything else can...).

Wow. Didn't think it would be that long.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It occurs to me that the real scheduling problem comes in a couple of years, when Jana is a senior. What then? University of Suez? Cairo Polytechnic?

Just play in Brooklyn, covers all the bases

Reaction Score
I suspect you meant passport, not visa. You don't need a visa for Canada. On the other hand, if you don't have a passport, you're not getting one anytime soon.
We just received ours last month, only took about 4 weeks. Our previous ones had lapsed, and we didn’t bother to renew. I was expecting 3 months minimum and was pleasantly surprised.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom