What is? | The Boneyard

What is?

Reaction Score
I asked the same question. Supposedly Geno said it

Reaction Score
A recruited walk-on is a player who is recruited but not given a scholarship. Normally that player is guaranteed a roster spot.

The term "recruited walk-on" is a very common one in college basketball and football.

Reaction Score
Can someone please tell me what the hell a recruited walk-on is. Either you are recruited or you a walk-on. Hope these are not the announcers we can forward to next year....
Where is the in-game thread?

Reaction Score
A recruited walk-on is a player who is recruited but not given a scholarship. Normally that player is guaranteed a roster spot.
First time I have heard they were not given a scholarship....

Reaction Score
It happens in football every year....10+ student-athletes. However, I always thought Bent and Irwin were on scholarship, thus not walk-ons.

Reaction Score
It happens in football every year....10+ student-athletes. However, I always thought Bent and Irwin were on scholarship, thus not walk-ons.

Irwin definitely scholarship. Bent may have come as a recruited walk-on.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Is it a newer term? I'd heard preferred walk on before, but not this one. I assume it's similar.

Reaction Score
Recruited walk ons are common in softball where there are too few scholarships, so few that they give half scholarships—unless you can pitch in high 60s.

Reaction Score
What we could use, in my opinion, is an uber-talented 6'5" semi-recruited, full scholarship walk-on to add some post depth in case ONO gets into early foul trouble.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

The term "recruited walk-on" is a very common one in college basketball and football.
Exactly. In fact I have a nephew who is a recruited walk-on in football.

Reaction Score
What we could use, in my opinion, is an uber-talented 6'5" semi-recruited, full scholarship walk-on to add some post depth in case ONO gets into early foul trouble.

Wait 10 months.

Reaction Score
I believe Briana Pulido and Tierney Lawlor fit the description of recruited walk-ons although I doubt that's what the term means. Didn't Geno put out the call to the general student body for players to fill in the ranks when UConn was down players due to injuries and, I don't know, transfers or something? That's the way I remember it anyway. Later both received scholarships.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe Briana Pulido and Tierney Lawlor fit the description of recruited walk-ons although I doubt that's what the term means. Didn't Geno put out the call to the general student body for players to fill in the ranks when UConn was down players due to injuries and, I don't know, transfers or something? That's the way I remember it anyway. Later both received scholarships.
Actually it was Stewie that asked for walk-ons.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Both players came as walkons to fill out practice routines and both eventually earned scholarships. Briana (aka Polly), being pre-med had to be asked about her commitment once but ended up hitting my most favorite shot of all time

Reaction Score

Normally the term “recruited walk-on” refers to players who the coaches talk to before they make their college decision. This is for situations when a player is not good enough to get a scholarship or there are no scholarships available, but the coach is looking for a depth option.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom