What Is Your Favorite Championship Game? | The Boneyard

What Is Your Favorite Championship Game?

Reaction Score
2021..........just kidding my favorite championship game is probably 2016 because the “dynasty fulfilled its destiny”, but my favorite tournament run would have to be 2010 because of how spectacular Tina Charles and Maya Moore were the entire tournament (despite a rather ugly championship game).

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I agree with Sonny that 2013's semi win against ND, after the regular season losses to them. It was an "in your face!!!!!!" win and coming out for Stewie. I've watched that game no fewer than 20 times. Whenever I need a "fix" I watch some of my favorites and that one game is always top of the list. I know most every shot and still get satisfaction watching. The wife and I were there that night and we had very unsettled expectations as we approached the arena. Not a good feeling going into a game against a team that has eaten your lunch all year. Approaching the 3 minute mark of the first half started to ease some of the anxiety, but knowing there was a lot of BB to be played yet was still unsettling. ND made some runs, in the 2nd half, but our kids played with a purpose that was missing during the regular season.

Reaction Score
I can't remember the year, it was the one where Pat Summit went to the UCONN locker room and told the team how great they were...Wonderful memory of a great woman.

Reaction Score
I can't remember the year, it was the one where Pat Summit went to the UCONN locker room and told the team how great they were...Wonderful memory of a great woman.
It was 2002. It was after the national semis in which UCONN destroyed the Vols 79-56. While many of us think of her as the arch nemesis, that rivalry advanced the sport by light years. We should also never forget her famous quote " I will do it for the good of the game" when deciding to play the biggest game ever in women's college basketball on MLK Jr Day in 1995. She could have easily declined.

Reaction Score
2015. It was a close, competitive game against a very good Notre Dame team. In a tour de force defensive performance, Moriah Jefferson completely shuts down Skylar Diggins in the first half. Then late in the game, with the Irish surging, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis explodes on offense with three buckets to ice the game for the Huskies. Pure Bliss.

Dave O'Brien had the call: "UConn does it again! For the tenth time, they are the champions!"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Toss up because of the emotions for the BENCH. Heather Buck with a steal, drive, and layup I think was Louisville 2013 and Briana Pulido with a corner shot in the waning seconds against Syracuse in 2016. Both of those bring tears of joy for both ladies,

Reaction Score
2015. It was a close, competitive game against a very good Notre Dame team. In a tour de force defensive performance, Moriah Jefferson completely shuts down Skylar Diggins in the first half. Then late in the game, with the Irish surging, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis explodes on offense with three buckets to ice the game for the Huskies. Pure Bliss.

Dave O'Brien had the call: "UConn does it again! For the tenth time, they are the champions!"

I think skylar graduated in 2013. Maybe u mean jewel Lloyd ??

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
My faves (boy are these hard to rank):
  1. 2000: The breakneck intensity from the opening tip was just something to behold. A truly dominant performance from start to finish. This is the final that I find myself rewatching most often :D

2. 2016: "The dynasty fulfills its destiny." The unprecedented four-peat. I don't care if the outcome was considered a foregone conclusion. I don't care if that year's tournament was laced with accusations that we were "bad for the game." I still loved every minute of it :D

3. 1995: Hard to beat that first-time feeling. A legendary team completes a legendary season, silencing the doubters with an epic show of resilience in a come-from-behind win over Tennessee.

4. 2013: The final felt more like a victory lap after the cathartic semifinal win over Notre Dame, but still oh so satisfying.

5. 2002: More because of that team than the final per se, which wasn't one of UConn's best performances of that season (credit is due to Oklahoma for stepping up that game), but that starting five were just such a buzzsaw and a true joy to watch all season long.

6. 2009: The Renee-Tina-Maya show was a breathtaking trio. An utterly dominant team that left no doubt with a blowout win over a surprising Louisville team.

7. 2003: Most people figured UConn would take a step back after losing 4 of 5 starters. But they forgot about that player that "we have and you don't" :D

8. 2014: In the first-ever final between undefeated teams, UConn left no doubt that it was well seated in the dynastic throne.

9. 2004: Another vintage Taurasi-led performance. I believe this was the only time UConn won the title as something other than a #1 seed.

10. 2015: I remember being really bummed that South Carolina didn't beat Notre Dame in the semifinals. UConn won a gritty and scratchy final. KML was simply brilliant in her last college game; her pair of buckets proved to be the dagger.

11. 2010: I have no memory of this game. I'm pretty sure all copies of the tape have been burned :cool:

Last edited:

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
2014-2015 beating an undefeated ND in the championship game

I think that was 2014.

My fav is a toss-up between 1995 and 2000.

In 1995, they came back from being down a bunch and having foul trouble. Rebecca hit a key jumper late and Jen and that drive to the hoop :)

In 2000, between Tennessee leaving the backdoor open and not realizing that Schuey was a blocking machine, it was such an enjoyable game.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Mine is 2003. 28 magnificent points from Diana plus she "Taurasiized" her teammates to play at another level. It helped too that we beat Tennessee 73-68.
But I thought the semi-final was just as sweet. The play that Geno drew up to let Taurisi drive one on one caused Stacey Dales to foul out was just awesome.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That 2010 game against Stanford. Being down 8 points (12-20) at the half of a very low game. That game was ugly on the surface. But knowing that Maya, Kalana, Caroline, Kelly Faris, Tina Charles, and Hayes would find their shooting touch and bring home that title, made this game my favorite. This game was all heart & effort.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
2000. Performed a backdoor clinic on the Vols. Showed that UConn was not a fluke and was here to stay on the national stage.
Add in Pat's stubborn refusal to make even the most fundamental defensive adjustment meant that Geno was deep in her head.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom