What is UConn's Status For B1G FB Scheduling Purposes?? | The Boneyard

What is UConn's Status For B1G FB Scheduling Purposes??

Reaction Score
For all the folks on here who have been demanding UConn Basketball get preferential treatment over UConn football...
Have you forgotten this?
There was a time that the B1G was allowing UConn to take the place of a P5 team for scheduling purposes.
I don't think those days exist anymore... but... that's how far UConn athletics (as a whole) have slipped.
Edsall (and his stupid contract) should have never happened.
For a team that got B1G respect, there was no reason Dave Benedict should have ever given Hurley such a significantly better coaches contract than the FB coach.
FB was the ONLY window to P5 status.
Benedict is the reason football slipped and got ignored this week as 4 new P5's were minted.
UConn needed that promotion and there was absolutely no reason to jump the gun and do the dumb FB hire and switch leagues.
That's self-sabotage.
For a program that used to be considered a P5 win in B1G circles: That's sabotage. (its absolutely stunning when you put what's happened in context)

Reaction Score
For all the folks on here who have been demanding UConn Basketball get preferential treatment over UConn football...
Have you forgotten this?
There was a time that the B1G was allowing UConn to take the place of a P5 team for scheduling purposes.
I don't think those days exist anymore... but... that's how far UConn athletics (as a whole) have slipped.
Edsall (and his stupid contract) should have never happened.
For a team that got B1G respect, there was no reason Dave Benedict should have ever given Hurley such a significantly better coaches contract than the FB coach.
FB was the ONLY window to P5 status.
Benedict is the reason football slipped and got ignored this week as 4 new P5's were minted.
UConn needed that promotion and there was absolutely no reason to jump the gun and do the dumb FB hire and switch leagues.
That's self-sabotage.
For a program that used to be considered a P5 win in B1G circles: That's sabotage. (its absolutely stunning when you put what's happened in context)
Shut up already

Reaction Score
If you're anointed special status by a league like the B1G, IMO there is a fiduciary responsibility to hire a top notch coach at a respectable salary to guard that status. (particularly if you're trying to become part of the club)

If you disagree, then you are part of the problem, Sir.

Reaction Score
If you're anointed special status by a league like the B1G, IMO there is a fiduciary responsibility to hire a top notch coach at a respectable salary to guard that status. (particularly if you're trying to become part of the club)

If you disagree, then you are part of the problem, Sir.

It's not hard to make the assumption that the B1G saw UConn football as a possible candidate down the road (given they bestowed that status).

Consequently, in a situation like this year (when there were 8 Big 12 teams showing interest), perhaps they could have combined UConn with a candidate of their liking. I'm assuming the B1G couldn't settle on any 2 available teams.

IMHO, all things considered, UConn needed to be just as vigorous in protecting football status (probably moreso) as they were basketball status; given the B1G's trust in the program.

It's astounding the program was treated so shabbily when it had already made those inroads.

Reaction Score
UConn football was abysmal in 2016 as well. Over half of those metrics in the tweet above have nothing to do with football.

I am a huge advocate for the football team and want to see the program succeed. but let’s be realistic here - if you think leaving the AAC , hiring Hurley and putting a lot or resources into our basketball program was a bad idea and hurt our football program you are delusional.

even if you could double the salary for a head football coach today who is taking the job? It’s not always about money. Even if you could lure a big name coach with money there is no chance they will succeed. I mean look at the times big time programs missed on coaches - USC, Texas, Notre Dame and the list goes on. They have tremendous history and tons of money behind their programs and at times it hasn’t worked out for them. You think increasing the salary pool at UConn will automatically lead to a big hire or massive success? I highly doubt it.

UConn needs a program builder who wants to be here long term. That means we have to find the right coach who is likely well under the radar right now. That’s a tough task for anyone.

UConn’s sell to other conferences has never been about the actual football program. It’s been about the possibilities of the program. At least Benedict has taken some chances. Canned Edsall, left AAC, scheduled some quality games. You have got to give him a chance on this next hire.

Reaction Score
I've completely lost track of all the "should've, would've, could've"s that this program has botched. We have made every single Scalatoing wrong move a football program could possibly make at the wrong times and here we are with this constant fizzling weekly s**teshow.

Skiblets is right. It's unfathomable and inexcusable that this football program is this bad.

Reaction Score
There is no P5. Do u not understand what’s happening? The B12 is the Big East circa 2009. It’s over for them.

Reaction Score
There is no P5. Do u not understand what’s happening? The B12 is the Big East circa 2009. It’s over for them.

Did you watch the BYU game last night? That conference is actually looking really good. The New Big 12 has the highest Kenpom in basketball and in football The Big 12 is winning at a very high clip. The best thing they did was going back to 12. The old Big East never had the #s or an autonomy designation.

[twitter]

Reaction Score
UConn football was abysmal in 2016 as well. Over half of those metrics in the tweet above have nothing to do with football.

I am a huge advocate for the football team and want to see the program succeed. but let’s be realistic here - if you think leaving the AAC , hiring Hurley and putting a lot or resources into our basketball program was a bad idea and hurt our football program you are delusional.

even if you could double the salary for a head football coach today who is taking the job? It’s not always about money. Even if you could lure a big name coach with money there is no chance they will succeed. I mean look at the times big time programs missed on coaches - USC, Texas, Notre Dame and the list goes on. They have tremendous history and tons of money behind their programs and at times it hasn’t worked out for them. You think increasing the salary pool at UConn will automatically lead to a big hire or massive success? I highly doubt it.

UConn needs a program builder who wants to be here long term. That means we have to find the right coach who is likely well under the radar right now. That’s a tough task for anyone.

UConn’s sell to other conferences has never been about the actual football program. It’s been about the possibilities of the program. At least Benedict has taken some chances. Canned Edsall, left AAC, scheduled some quality games. You have got to give him a chance on this next hire.

The point was there was no attempt made. It's absolutely absurd for an aspiring all-sports school to pay a basketball coach so much more than a football coach.

UConn's fall is very similar to Rice University. They went all-in on baseball instead of football/basketball because their fanbase squawked. Now they are also stuck.

Reaction Score
I’m sure the B1G schools will be lining up to schedule games to UConn, If UConn continues to play the way the did on Saturday. Good game to pad the stats and get everyone playing time.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score

USC, Texas, ND “not succeeding” with coaches is very different than what is going on at UConn right now. The comparison is illegitimate. Those programs view failure as not going to the CFP - we are merely trying to kick a field goal against another FBS team. Let’s open our eyes here folks.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Self. Inflicted. Wounds.

[twitter]

I have thought about this a lot and I remember following the story closely in 2016. My how far we have fallen.

Reaction Score
Did you watch the BYU game last night? That conference is actually looking really good. The New Big 12 has the highest Kenpom in basketball and in football The Big 12 is winning at a very high clip. The best thing they did was going back to 12. The old Big East never had the #s or an autonomy designation.

[twitter]

Assuming no P4 conf expands, look at tv market data for new B12. Now, pretend your calling the shots at Fox. Want to pay any of those wannabes more than say 10mm per year? And don’t tell me Houston is a top 5 market because few in Houston care about UH.

we’ve all lived the demise of a good conference to tv execs wanting to pay less. You’ll learn. It won’t be fun. But it is certain.

but fret not, you want to enjoy others pain - wait until SEC moves on Clemson and FSU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom