What is the latest on Paige's recovery? | The Boneyard

What is the latest on Paige's recovery?

Reaction Score
All,

I have been out of the proverbial loop for a few weeks, not only from the BY, but from our beloved UConn WBB program. Life has a way of getting in the way, as it were.

Please update me on what we know, what we surmise, and/or what we pray for. ;)

If you can refer me to the relevant thread, that would be great too.

Thank you.

Reaction Score
All,

I have been out of the proverbial loop for a few weeks, not only from the BY, but from our beloved UConn WBB program. Life has a way of getting in the way, as it were.

Please update me on what we know, what we surmise, and/or what we pray for. ;)

If you can refer me to the relevant thread, that would be great too.

Thank you.
Despite your absence you know as much as anyone else outside the program. Fudd it seems had been cleared by the medical staff and it was up to her alone whether she played or not. I'm just guessing but I'd say that Bueckers would be playing about 30 seconds after she gets medically cleared. I'm not excluding her from playing against Tenn. That would be almost at 8 weeks and the estimated recovery was 6-8 weeks. Everyone wants her 100%. If 100% comes earlier than then so much the better.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Despite your absence you know as much as anyone else outside the program. Fudd it seems had been cleared by the medical staff and it was up to her alone whether she played or not. I'm just guessing but I'd say that Bueckers would be playing about 30 seconds after she gets medically cleared. I'm not excluding her from playing against Tenn. That would be almost at 8 weeks and the estimated recovery was 6-8 weeks. Everyone wants her 100%. If 100% comes earlier than then so much the better.
As of the DePaul game, Paige still was wearing the brace on her leg. Maybe it's because of the jumping up and down watching the game on the sidelines, so maybe it's just a precaution.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My prediction. Paige extending on her previous TN game heroics comes in (just like Azzi with no warning) at the last second and pulls a Willis Reed inspired clutch 3pt shot. :cool:

Reaction Score
Geno said Paige is moving around well and has been working out in the weight room. We've also seen her participate in pre-game shootaround as well as not being terribly careful on the bench during games as she's taken over as #1 cheerleader. The use of a brace gives pause to being overly optimistic about her imminent return, but Azzi seemed to go from individual workouts up to 30 minutes to playing half a game practically overnight, so who knows. Geno himself may not even know as he said it's not up to him who is or isn't available when he was asked about Christyn's return from Covid.

Reaction Score
@UConn82 ... just to add to @Alydar 's info... What we know is limited to what we have been able to observe from watching broadcasts of games and just observing Paige. There has been NO official update from UCONN... except for a few responses by Geno during pressers.
We do know:
1. Paige had Xray (or some other scan of the damaged area) a few weeks ago. We were told if the results showed proper healing that she would be off crutches. She IS OFF Crutches and has been since that test.
2. Paige has been doing PT. There was at least one video clip of Paige doing some heal slides. And...during a presser, Geno was asked about Paige and he said she is in Therapy and doing well. Nothing further.
3. Paige has been on court during warm ups as evidence through some videos, and at practice. She has been engaged and involved with the Team as they practice and prep for each game. She is active in Team huddles before and during games, sharing her insights on things that could help the team and encouraging them. She has also been putting up shots during warm-ups.
4. Paige continues to wear a brace on her left knee from about mid-thigh to mid-calf. However, she has been very active on the bench during games, and even showed pretty impressive "ups" when Caroline made the game winning shot vs DePaul. She got up high enough that it prompted a thread about it, hoping she doesn't reinjure herself, and suggesting that CD put a seat belt on her.

I believe this is "what we know"... and that she is itching to get back out there!!!

GO HUSKIES.

Reaction Score
As of the DePaul game, Paige still was wearing the brace on her leg. Maybe it's because of the jumping up and down watching the game on the sidelines, so maybe it's just a precaution.
The brace is likely precautionary. Having had a very similar injury the brace is there to prevent the knee from being 100% extended. I used to have to walk on the ball of my foot to keep a little flex in my knee. It just takes time to heal. Like discs in the spine meniscus needs to re-expand after being squeezed too hard.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hopefully a courageous reporter probes this a bit harder.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if Paige will be wearing some kind of brace when she returns to action. And then ripping it off after she makes her first 3 pointer or no look, totally unexpected assist.

images.jpg

Reaction Score
Hopefully a courageous reporter probes this a bit harder.
Geno has been asked about Paige at almost every press availability as he was about CW and Azzi, and before them Aubrey.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In mid January It was reported that Paige is expected to return by mid February. It is/was unclear if that meant return to game action or if that was the start of the process/ramp to get her to be game ready. I'm thinking it was the latter and hoping will see Paige in the last three regular season games to end the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I kinda wondered if Geno “pulled a fast one” on Bruno by seemingly indicating that Azzi wasn’t ready to do much. Then, after the game he said she hit 25 straight shots in practice. So might he be intentionally staying quiet of Paige’s status? Are there any rules that a team must disclose a players status?

Reaction Score
I kinda wondered if Geno “pulled a fast one” on Bruno by seemingly indicating that Azzi wasn’t ready to do much. Then, after the game he said she hit 25 straight shots in practice. So might he be intentionally staying quiet of Paige’s status? Are there any rules that a team must disclose a players status?

No, but as gambling expands it will become an issue.

Reaction Score
Actually Geno said that Fudd "wasn't ready" and I took that to mean she wasn't ready in the opinion of the coaches/medical staff. The truth it seems is that it was up to Fudd to decide on her readiness since the staff had already cleared her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No such rules that I'm aware of. Keep in mind that this is still women's basketball which attracts very few people who would be able to profit from such information- think gamblers. I just think Azzi got ahead of schedule and surprised Geno. KML did the same thing in 2013. When the team left for a trip to Duke KML status was doubtful. At game time KML dropped 7 treys on Duke's head.

sun

Reaction Score
No, but as gambling expands it will become an issue.
It's a gambling issue but I don't see it as ever becoming an NCAA issue.
The coaches can make anyone sit on the bench for any reason, and it doesn't need to be health related.
That issue simply makes it more unpredictable to bet on college sports.

Reaction Score
I'm still holding out hope for the Tennessee game. That's the 8 week mark. She'll pull an Azzi on us.

Reaction Score
I would more likely bet that the "fast one" Azzi played on DePaul was more intended to be on South Carolina.

Reaction Score
I would bet there wasn't a "fast one" played at all. Geno said a week or two ago that he asked Azzi when she was playing, and she said "next game." That may have been tongue in cheek, but perhaps there's some kernel of truth to that and they were just waiting until she felt comfortable.

Reaction Score
My best guess at this, Paige had surgery on Dec 14th, recovery will take 2 months, that would put Paige at Feb 14th mark missing the Tenn game on Feb 6th.

Reaction Score
Azzi is cautious. It may have been that she was cleared by staff a few days ago. I hope Paige doesn't play against Tennessee. No need to push it. Bring her back the last game of the regular season.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I wondered about that as well!

Frankly, I feel he pulled a fast one on us fans, too!

Reaction Score
If it was up to me, I'd leave her out until the last couple of games of the regular season.
Use those games plus the BE tourney to get her up to speed and to get the team to
readjust (yet again) to having her in the lineup. Then we're ready to go for the big dance.
I'm just a little nervous about bringing her back too soon and risking reinjury.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom