What is the best solution to watch UConn's Men's hoops, Boston Sports, Network TV, Discovery channels, etc.? | The Boneyard

What is the best solution to watch UConn's Men's hoops, Boston Sports, Network TV, Discovery channels, etc.?

Reaction Score
What is the best solution (i.e. least expensive) to watch UConn's Men's hoops, Boston Sports, Network TV, Discovery channels, etc.?

We're getting FIOS in our neighborhood soon so that might be an option. I know there's FUBO or YouTube TV but I don't think either has all that I need.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What is the best solution (i.e. least expensive) to watch UConn's Men's hoops, Boston Sports, Network TV, Discovery channels, etc.?

We're getting FIOS in our neighborhood soon so that might be an option. I know there's FUBO or YouTube TV but I don't think either has all that I need.

Hulu + live tv

Reaction Score
I don’t know if YouTube TV has sny anymore, but Hulu Live seems the best.

YouTube best interface. I need NBCSN for Celtics. Which is an issue with some places in CT.

Reaction Score
Switched from Hulu Live to You Tube TV during tournament this year - audio way out of sync, getting stuck in broadcast looos during ads and not returning to game. Haven't looked back and get everything I need.
I am out of the area in DE.

Reaction Score
YTTV does not have NESN So you’ll need to add a baseball package for Red Sox games. Otherwise, it’s very good. Needs more 4k content and would love a NESN option. But YTTV shines when you travel. The mobile app is very good and watching UConn games in my hotel room on my iPad is convenient, trustworthy and of good quality.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
You might find yourself switching services based on the athletic season. YouTube TV was great for us until they dropped SNY. We switched to fubo (much worse interface) and soon back to YouTube tv for college hoops season. Constant switching might be the new reality.

CL82

Reaction Score
It is missing NESN. It is what I have, but loses the Sox and Bruins.
Ah got it. Those were not a part of my YouTube TV package in New Jersey.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ah got it. Those were not a part of my YouTube TV package in New Jersey.
Neither YouTubeTV nor HULU+ Live has NESN. You can get it on FUBO, but then you lose TNT, TBS etc. (NCAA tournament, NBA Playoffs).

CL82

Reaction Score
YTTV does not have NESN So you’ll need to add a baseball package for Red Sox games. Otherwise, it’s very good. Needs more 4k content and would love a NESN option. But YTTV shines when you travel. The mobile app is very good and watching UConn games in my hotel room on my iPad is convenient, trustworthy and of good quality.
Yeah, it's just that if you follow UConn woman's basketball not having SNY is kind of a dealbreaker. Also, if this is more of a "me" issue, YTTV had a weird interface with my, admittedly old, LG TV. Every other app comes in at 1080 P, but YTTV came in at standard def if I accessed it directly on the TV. The workaround was T access the app on my phone and then Chromecast it to the TV. Not a huge deal, but vaguely annoying and resulted in significant lag when watching games, which was only noticeable when I logged into the chat.

I can access Hulu live directly through the TV and it comes through at 1080P.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I use YTTV as it is the easiest (for me), I especially like how it keeps my recordings and settings (ie, it still knows to record BE games) each season when I reactivate. I tried most of the major services and for me, in Miami, they all had about the same (poor) quality of broadcast.

Reaction Score
FS-1 on DISH worked great for me, as did CBSSN for the couple of games on that mongrel network.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If you brought apps in via Apple TV would that solve interface problems?
Yes, if you mean Apple TV box instead of service, yes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes, if you mean Apple TV box instead of service, yes.
Does it? I assumed it worked like Roku or a FireTV stick, where the interface shows content from all the apps, but then each app is still its own interface. I wish they had priced those more competitively.

August_West

Reaction Score
Does it? I assumed it worked like Roku or a FireTV stick, where the interface shows content from all the apps, but then each app is still its own interface. I wish they had priced those more competitively.
It is like that but If you are committed to streaming instead of a Cable box, then I would HIGHLY recommend using an Apple TV box as your App interface. Its worth the 129 bucks. The other stuff works (fire sticks and Roku boxes) but it is not as solid. I was anti cord cutting in that I still think Xfinity X3 is the most headache free and feature rich option for TV viewing and ease of use, but was forced to cut the cord on a recent house move and went down a big rabbit hole (and Im a tech guy).... I went through a lot of stuff and ended up with Apple boxes and a Hulu Live subscription (an obviously the 100 other dumb app subs my wife buys for no reason whether we were on Xfinity or now this setup.

The win has been as while I had to give up X3, the trade of is I got 2 GB synchronous Fiber for 99 bucks a month! with a eero wifi mesh network (3 Access points) for FREE with the contract. Paired with the Latest gen Apple boxes and it has worked beautifully. When I ran a fire stick or the TV apps directly from the Samsung Frame TV's it wasnt nearly as robust.

Reaction Score

For Discovery channels do Discovery Plus. It's the only stuff my wife watches and it's a pretty good deal $7/month for ad-free.

That would then free up your streaming TV for whatever works better for your sports.

CL82

Reaction Score
Ok again. If I do you tube TV. Am I going to miss any uconn games?
Men's basketball? No. But if you are also fan of the woman's team you will miss the vast majority of their games because YouTube TV no longer has SNY on their channel list.

Reaction Score
It is like that but If you are committed to streaming instead of a Cable box, then I would HIGHLY recommend using an Apple TV box as your App interface. Its worth the 129 bucks. The other stuff works (fire sticks and Roku boxes) but it is not as solid. I was anti cord cutting in that I still think Xfinity X3 is the most headache free and feature rich option for TV viewing and ease of use, but was forced to cut the cord on a recent house move and went down a big rabbit hole (and Im a tech guy).... I went through a lot of stuff and ended up with Apple boxes and a Hulu Live subscription (an obviously the 100 other dumb app subs my wife buys for no reason whether we were on Xfinity or now this setup.

The win has been as while I had to give up X3, the trade of is I got 2 GB synchronous Fiber for 99 bucks a month! with a eero wifi mesh network (3 Access points) for FREE with the contract. Paired with the Latest gen Apple boxes and it has worked beautifully. When I ran a fire stick or the TV apps directly from the Samsung Frame TV's it wasnt nearly as robust.
Post pics of SpeedTest. I can't get more than 300MB.

August_West

Reaction Score

Attachments

• IMG_1018.png
    IMG_1018.png
    229.7 KB · Views: 100
Reaction Score
This thread just saved me some money- I was keeping Direct tv just for the college basketball access.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom