What is Ollie's game plan to start games? | The Boneyard

What is Ollie's game plan to start games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Virtually every game we come out and just stink for the first ten minutes. We made one shot in the first 7+minutes against Houston.

What is said in the locker room? Why do we begin every game in a hole? Why do we give every opponent confidence that this is their night? It's incredible how poor we are in the first five minutes.

More importantly, can anything be done?

Reaction Score
The UConn gameplan: F@%k around for 35 minutes, get down double digits, crawl back to inspire fans, let down said fans with a 3-5 point loss.

Reaction Score
Virtually every game we come out and just stink for the first ten minutes. We made one shot in the first 7+minutes against Houston.

What is said in the locker room? Why do we begin every game in a hole? Why do we give every opponent confidence that this is their night? It's incredible how poor we are in the first five minutes.

More importantly, can anything be done?
Unfortunately this team plays only slightly better in the following fifteen minutes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ollie is trying to coach like he would an NBA team or a team of upperclassmen. Work the ball around, get the post players involved, blah, blah, blah.

Unfortunately, he has a group of inexperienced players that get timid and unsure the longer possessions last. This team is built for shoot the first good shot they see.

It sucks for us fans this year, but Ollie is coaching these kids for 2015-2016. This year is lost.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
When did he tell you that ?

When he sits patiently watching them make mistakes. He's coaching this team to develop and grow, not to win. He hasn't even attempted to shorten the rotation or define the rotation. He's still tinkering.

Which, OBTW isn't the worst thing in the world. This team shows glimpses and pieces. Losing Boat will be huge but everyone else comes back. He's working on combinations. I mentioned it in another thread. This team has the chance to be really good by March 2016. It sucks as a fan watching the current team, but I see hope in the future.

Reaction Score
Walk out of locker room and sit on the bench. That's all I got. Almost every night the other team is way more amped up to play us than we appear to be to play them. It's on both coaches and players.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the game plan for the first half is getting all too predictable and least for away games it is the same game plan that is used to start the second half. Confused, half-hearted defense followed with confused, half-hearted, consistently inconsistent offense. It is only when our Boatright has to attempt to salvage the game that UConn starts to make a move and there is energy at all - though it always seems to fall short. The continual look of hangdog frustation and complete lack of intensity and leadership from the HC seems to have been fully adopted by the team. It is only when Boatshow abandons the team concept and starts to rely on just himself that the energy level rises.

I feel bad for Boatright, despite his tremendous efforts to get his teammates involved, there is still no reliable secondary scorer or ball handler on the team. That is too much weight to put on any point guard's shoulders and more than even the great Kemba Walker and Shabazz Napier could deal with. It is no wonder that Ryan doesn't look happy during the game.

I will give KO a pass this year because of his other off court issues, bit good grief if KO can't prepare them to deal with Houston, there is essentially no preparation at all. In one season we went from heroic to pathetic. When a team contiuously gets worse as the season progresses the spotlight should be directed entirely on the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
He's coaching this team to develop and grow, not to win. He hasn't even attempted to shorten the rotation or define the rotation. He's still tinkering. [for 2015/16]
Not a bad theory. Not sure if I'm buying it, but it's got it's merit.

Reaction Score
What I noticed is Ollie continually telling them to push the ball after a defensive board and then when the ball gets pass half-court the ball comes to a grinding halt (dribbling for 8-10 more secs and then a few passes).

Watch Coach, he's yelling/waving them to push it, run and they do for half a court. Its like the players aren't following directions. What is that all about?

Reaction Score
Kit most of our guys are content to trail the ball, no one is really filling the lanes, it is noticeable.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Walk out of locker room and sit on the bench. That's all I got. Almost every night the other team is way more amped up to play us than we appear to be to play them. It's on both coaches and players.

That's because UConn are the defending champs a have the huge target on their backs.
To EVERY team - beating the champs brings out the best. I'm not saying that UConn is playing in a manner that deserves Champion motivation but it is what it is.
What puzzles me is why UConn can't show a higher degree of desire - getting beat on the D in fast breaks and leaving open shooters is concerning.
This team is back to standing like statues on offense and praying Boat pulls it out.
I feel for Boat - I really do.
I love Dham's potential BUT I don't understand why he just doesn't take control of his game - he has the talent.
Facey a year away from being an important player - we see glimpses but a glimpse we only get.
AB is probably a 4 yr player at this point but I like that - will he get drafted? Hell yes.
OC and RP are bench players at best. OC is a HUGE defensive liability and RP is just an enigma - and there is little there to show me he will blossom - perhaps a head case.
I am excited about JA next year - a bonafide point guard, the real missing ingredient this year - Boat has not the experience to be a pure point.
I will continue to watch my Huskies this year but am not expecting any turn around or run - but would like to see some success at the tournament in Hartford.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Ollie's plan tonight was obvious. Continue to give up offensive rebounds until his team is six points behind. Then toss the ball into Brimah for a quick turnover and an offensive foul. At least now we understand why Ollie was flying all over creation hunting down recruits.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Next year will be better than this year. The issue is on the surface it will look better. Please let me know who is going to be the go to scorer next year and please don't say a freshman PG

Reaction Score
Next year will be better than this year. The issue is on the surface it will look better. Please let me know who is going to be the go to scorer next year and please don't say a freshman PG
We will not improve that much having only one primary ball handler. I also don't expect Adams to handle the ball pressure, double teams and the pg demands like Boat does only because he'll be a freshman.

Giving him a backcourt partner with ball handling skills will help tremendously. If he doesn't get that then we may be doing the same thing expecting different results.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
We will not improve that much having only one primary ball handler. I also don't expect Adams to handle the ball pressure, double teams and the pg demands like Boat does only because he'll be a freshman.

Giving him a backcourt partner with ball handling skills will help tremendously. If he doesn't get that then we may be doing the same thing expecting different results.

I really meant to say will not* I guess I'm still can't see straight after last night. I was convinced they called a run play...

Reaction Score
What I noticed is Ollie continually telling them to push the ball after a defensive board and then when the ball gets pass half-court the ball comes to a grinding halt (dribbling for 8-10 more secs and then a few passes).

Watch Coach, he's yelling/waving them to push it, run and they do for half a court. Its like the players aren't following directions. What is that all about?

Yeah I wish they would at least attempt to run. In addition to some easy baskets it might help the confidence of Purvis, Omar and Dham just by seeing the ball go through the hoop. If UConn has a Ferrari, let it run! The halfcourt offense is clearly a disaster and there is nothing to lose at this point.

Reaction Score
Sorry but they're 18-22 year old kids wearing UCONN on their chests. If that isn't enough to get up for every game then . KO is preparing, they just aren't listening and potentially aren't good enough to wear UCONN on their chests.

If you're not suddenly seeing other teams looking better than them consistently than you're missing the games. It's on KO to get better players and kids who listen, learn and grow. If they don't want to play from the opening tip at Houston leave them home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom