What is a "Tipton Edit" and how On3 gets recruiting scoops | The Boneyard

What is a "Tipton Edit" and how On3 gets recruiting scoops

Reaction Score
Figured I'd post this since I thought it was interesting. It's a long article about how the recruiting service On3 started and how Tipton uses his "Tipton Edits" to trade for recruiting scoops. Makes sense. Tipton tells a kid he'll make one of these cool graphics for them to announce their commitment on social media if they give him the scoop first and an interview with some quotes for a commitment article. If you're a recruiting junkie it's kind of interesting. I didn't realize the guy who started On3 also started Rivals (sold to Yahoo) and 24/7 Sports (sold to CBS).

That brief transaction is one of hundreds that Tipton juggles throughout the year, working long hours to build graphics for every major transfer announcement and recruiting commitment across the basketball landscape. It’s painstaking work—especially during busy recruiting seasons—which requires loads of screen time and a regimented daily calendar to ensure every photo request gets completed and treated with the same effort and amount of creativity. “While the portal is open, it’s absolute mayhem and madness,” Tipton tells FOS. “Every time my phone buzzes, I have to check it.”

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Figured I'd post this since I thought it was interesting. It's a long article about how the recruiting service On3 started and how Tipton uses his "Tipton Edits" to trade for recruiting scoops. Makes sense. Tipton tells a kid he'll make one of these cool graphics for them to announce their commitment on social media if they give him the scoop first and an interview with some quotes for a commitment article. If you're a recruiting junkie it's kind of interesting. I didn't realize the guy who started On3 also started Rivals (sold to Yahoo) and 24/7 Sports (sold to CBS).

That brief transaction is one of hundreds that Tipton juggles throughout the year, working long hours to build graphics for every major transfer announcement and recruiting commitment across the basketball landscape. It’s painstaking work—especially during busy recruiting seasons—which requires loads of screen time and a regimented daily calendar to ensure every photo request gets completed and treated with the same effort and amount of creativity. “While the portal is open, it’s absolute mayhem and madness,” Tipton tells FOS. “Every time my phone buzzes, I have to check it.”

Pretty good business strategy to keep making and selling the same company over and over again.

Insiders get scoops in other ways too. This is just the most concrete way to go about it. Most insiders for teams have relationships with the coaching staff or people inside the program they manage well. Or they develop relationships with the kids themselves.

It really can’t get anymore of a sure thing than “hey can you make my commitment graphic” for me though lol

Reaction Score
Thanks for this. So many terms float around and materialize, that it's nice to know where they came from and what they mean.
Now if someone can tell me what the hell jelly fam is.
Jelly fam was a group of high school kids (Jahvon Quinerly who went to Villanova then Alabama and Memphis probably the most prominent one) who got popular for doing fancy finger rolls moreorless. Usually they have a lot of spin. Eventually people just started calling that a jelly and now here we are.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So one guy has pretty much created the same company 3 different times?
A good friend of mine dropped out of college started a business sold it for sh'ton of money, watched it crater, bought it back for pennies on the dollar, sold it to someone else for even more money, then started a new company which he sold to someone else for even more money.

He is the nicest most low-key guy in the world his only fault is not particularly a sports fan.

Reaction Score
A good friend of mine dropped out of college started a business sold it for sh'ton of money, watched it crater, bought it back for pennies on the dollar, sold it to someone else for even more money, then started a new company which he sold to someone else for even more money.

He is the nicest most low-key guy in the world his only fault is not particularly a sports fan.
Sounds a lot like what Dave Portnoy just did with Barstool lol. Sold it for $400M and then 2 years later repurchased it for a literal single dollar.

Reaction Score
Sounds a lot like what Dave Portnoy just did with Barstool lol. Sold it for $400M and then 2 years later repurchased it for a literal single dollar.
I don’t think Portnoy has friends though so it probably isn’t him

Reaction Score
I'm surprised people are still going to him for these graphics. There are a bazillion fans who would do comparable stuff (or better, since his are not exactly mind-blowing) for free for major athletes.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised people are still going to him for these graphics. There are a bazillion fans who would do comparable stuff (or better, since his are not exactly mind-blowing) for free for major athletes.
Same thing as getting Gucci or whatever people like these days. If you or another poster on here made it, people wouldn’t care.

Reaction Score
Same thing as getting Gucci or whatever people like these days. If you or another poster on here made it, people wouldn’t care.
"Hey did Meleek Thomas commit?"
"I guess? When I saw it wasn't a Tipton graphic, I didn't even bother to check what school he picked"
"Pfft, I don't even want him here without that Tipton Edit"

Is that how it's playing out? I don't follow recruiting much.

Reaction Score
"Hey did Meleek Thomas commit?"
"I guess? When I saw it wasn't a Tipton graphic, I didn't even bother to check what school he picked"
"Pfft, I don't even want him here without that Tipton Edit"

Is that how it's playing out? I don't follow recruiting much.
I think most of the time they go with Tipton cause he’s known by most. But a lot of the time they will just go on a major recruiting site and stream their announcement. I have seen other places make edits, just not as common.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think most of the time they go with Tipton cause he’s known by most. But a lot of the time they will just go on a major recruiting site and stream their announcement. I have seen other places make edits, just not as common.
Pretty much. Especially in this age of NIL where building a social presence/following is equitable. Guys are going to go with the designers (Tipton and Hayes) that can make their commitments known the most.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom