what is a "commitment" in 2024? | The Boneyard

what is a "commitment" in 2024?

Reaction Score
Seeing these twitter announcements and cool photo shoots of kids who i'm not even sure will actually come to Storrs in the spring/summer.

what does a commitment mean, if they can de-commit at any point and go back to the portal? this makes it v hard to celebrate anyone's "arrival". What is the formal NCAA guideline for this process (i..e honoring your word)? does one exist?

I get if the head coach moves on you should be able to de-commit (i.e. Alabama/UW/Arizona, SJ State, etc.) - but if nothing has changed, why do you just get to leave? This is a very basic tenet of contract law, so while there isn't a law/legal aspect to this, the principle should still apply.

You made a deal, you need to fulfill your end of the deal, for however long the agreed upon timeline is (let's say 1 season/academic year). And likewise, your team needs to fulfill their end of the deal (your spot on the team must be honored, for the upcoming year - they can't just kick you off of the team without due cause, because they found someone better). I feel that we are teaching our young men to accept and even celebrate being a flake - there will always be a prettier girl than your wife. You don't get to leave just cuz she smiled at you. This is your team - honor it.

every commitment in society is binding to some degree (as far as I can think of):
  • marriage (family law, Tax benefits, etc.)
  • construction projects / contractor winning contract
  • college --- early decision admission
  • employment (benefits, stock vesting, NDA's, non-competes, etc.)

NCAA please enter the chat!!! :(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's all calvinball at this point. There is thr National Letter of Intent but beyond that it is all a mess.

Reaction Score
50% of marriages end in divorce. This thread can go in alot of directions...

Reaction Score
yes, but that's not the point. You have to pay a price (legally/financially/emotionally) to get out of it. That's what makes it BINDING.

The equivalent of this football situation, in marriage, is what i said in my post. The pretty girl looks at you, and you just go and "marry" her and announce on twitter you left your wife. no payment, no alimony, child support, paperwork, splitting of assets, etc.

you're just "not married" anymore. Really?

The institution is structured to honor the contract, and if you want to get out, you have to buy your way out. THAT is what i'm saying. There needs to be a structure here so that teams (and players) know clearly what terms they're working with.. at least for the next season.

Buying your way out in college football, wouldn't be financial i'd presume. But the kid needs to pay a price/penalty of some type for their decision if nothing outside of their control was the cause for the decision (i.e. they just WANTED to leave).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am very much in favor of NIL and free transfer but this is really is getting ridiculous. It's currently the wild West because the NCAA is scared of putting rules in place and then dealing with the inevitable lawsuits. The NCAA as an organization will do whatever it can at this point to not rock the boat so the executives can continue to be employed and collect fat salaries.

Competitive fairness went out the window a long time ago.

Reaction Score
I am very much in favor of NIL and free transfer but this is really is getting ridiculous. It's currently the wild West because the NCAA is scared of putting rules in place and then dealing with the inevitable lawsuits. The NCAA as an organization will do whatever it can at this point to not rock the boat so the executives can continue to be employed and collect fat salaries.

Yeah they massively overcorrected.

Reaction Score

And the number is significantly less for first marriages. Whereas it's something like 70% for 2nd and 3rd marriages.

I think that's relevant... probably reasonable to expect less loyalty from a kid on their 2nd or 3rd school.

Reaction Score
Seeing these twitter announcements and cool photo shoots of kids who i'm not even sure will actually come to Storrs in the spring/summer.

what does a commitment mean, if they can de-commit at any point and go back to the portal? this makes it v hard to celebrate anyone's "arrival". What is the formal NCAA guideline for this process (i..e honoring your word)? does one exist?

I get if the head coach moves on you should be able to de-commit (i.e. Alabama/UW/Arizona, SJ State, etc.) - but if nothing has changed, why do you just get to leave? This is a very basic tenet of contract law, so while there isn't a law/legal aspect to this, the principle should still apply.

You made a deal, you need to fulfill your end of the deal, for however long the agreed upon timeline is (let's say 1 season/academic year). And likewise, your team needs to fulfill their end of the deal (your spot on the team must be honored, for the upcoming year - they can't just kick you off of the team without due cause, because they found someone better). I feel that we are teaching our young men to accept and even celebrate being a flake - there will always be a prettier girl than your wife. You don't get to leave just cuz she smiled at you. This is your team - honor it.

every commitment in society is binding to some degree (as far as I can think of):

There's no contract between a player and a school. The only thing the player really signs is the financial aid agreement iirc. It's not that much different than employment in real life, which if we are being honest is what college ball is nowadays. I can "commit" to a job and then switch whenever I want if I so desire. Sure there can be negative consequences like burning bridges, but thats my prerogative.

If fans want the merry go around of players to stop, then they need to press the schools to come to an employment agreement with players to set some guard rails, but the vast majority of fans don't care as long as their team wins.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Part of me wonders if it was on purpose just to go "see? This is what you all asked for"
I don't think so. Once Emmert refused to make a decision on the original issue schools and state legislatures stepped in to fill the vacuum. Since then, boosters who want to give monies to kids can without being subtle about it. That combined with the free transfer rules have created free agency.

All this could be fixed going back to the rule that kids can't accept payments from boosters. That doesn't mean they can't make NIL money, that just means if they accept it from a booster they lose eligibility. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the powers that are going to ever allow this rule to come to pass, but it is an easy and clean fix that would solve 90% of the problems. Props to @HuskyHawk for coming up with it.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I don't think so. Once Emmert refused to make a decision on the original issue schools and state legislatures stepped in to fill the vacuum. Since then, boosters who want to give monies to kids can without being subtle about it. That combined with the free transfer rules have created free agency.

All this could be fixed going back to the rule that kids can't accept payments from boosters. That doesn't mean they can't make NIL money, that just means if they accept it from a booster they lose eligibility. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the powers that are going to ever allow this rule to come to pass, but it is an easy and clean fix that would solve 90% of the problems. Props to @HuskyHawk for coming up with it.
Emmert is worried if he says the wrong thing the top schools will break away and ditch the NCAA altogether at least for college football.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Emmert is worried if he says the wrong thing the top schools will break away and ditch the NCAA altogether at least for college football.
Emmert is worried about whether he can get the early bird special at Dennys. He's retired.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Q: What is a commitment in 2024?
A: meaningless?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think it was an article on ESPN about the annual coaches meeting and one of the key take aways was the desire to have some sort of mechanism in place so that a portal player can't do what we're seeing happen. When they commit from the portal, coaches want them to have to stay committed, like HS players need to do when they sign their NLI. So I guess they want a portal NLI? It makes sense to me. Imagine the headache this causes coaches too!

Reaction Score

Ridiculous for who?
Players get to control their lives
So coaches and fans don’t like it
Time to get over it
Perhaps all scholarships should be one year and renewable by the school if the players can
Move on from
The school the schools should be able to move on from the players

Reaction Score
I think it was an article on ESPN about the annual coaches meeting and one of the key take aways was the desire to have some sort of mechanism in place so that a portal player can't do what we're seeing happen. When they commit from the portal, coaches want them to have to stay committed, like HS players need to do when they sign their NLI. So I guess they want a portal NLI? It makes sense to me. Imagine the headache this causes coaches too!
portal NLI is only fair

Reaction Score
Ridiculous for who?
Time to get over it
Perhaps all scholarships should be one year and renewable by the school if the players can
Move on from
It's destroying competitive fairness - you know, competing, the entire point of sports. There's a reason every professional sport has contracts. Even some high school associations don't allow free transfers as easily as the NCAA currently does.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Most long term commitments (greater than one year) require an executed written agreement.
  • Marriage includes a written and signed license.
  • RFP winners execute a term sheet, if not a formal contract.
  • College early decision awards letters are signed to illustrate acceptance.
  • Most, if not all, states have at-will employment. Absent a guaranteed contract, either the employer or employee can end the working relationship for virtually any reason at anytime.
What's the lesson? A deal is not a deal until a signature appears on the line, which is dotted. Even then, most contracts have escape clauses, including non or under performance. The NCAA used to be more stringent against the athlete (I.e. sit out a year when transferring, while the coach can leave whenever for whatever.). They have actually become more fair and in line with the above examples.

IIRC, most college scholarships are one year renewable deals. Not to mention that full rides are rare outside the revenue generators.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ridiculous for who?
Time to get over it
Move on from

The schools should get safeguards like the players do.

If they want to be pros then they should be careful what they wish for. Most of these players are very replaceable.

Reaction Score
Ridiculous for who?
Time to get over it
Move on from
Scholarships are annually renewable.

Reaction Score
So, is it just a players commitment that has you upset?

What’s the commitment of this school to being P5? Not great

What’s this state’s commitment to the u? Not great

What’s commitment to football program by administration? Not great

What’s commitment of fan base to program? Not great.

You want to have a hissy fit about commitments from kids who are not allowed to legally drink a beer? How about we challenge the adults first?

My commitment is to keep coming to BY on a reg basis while praying the adults will wake up one day and provide more commitment to the program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom