What is “Hoya Saxa”?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
EA5C0034-1A77-43AB-A207-6C8367F2961D.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As I mentioned in another post, “Hoya” is also a tropical flower, which has nothing to do with Georgetown’s nickname.

Reaction Score
As I mentioned in another post, “Hoya” is also a tropical flower, which has nothing to do with Georgetown’s nickname.
True but as you say not relevant to the original (censored) question in the other thread about Georgetown: "What is a Hoya?" .

To which the correct answer is Yes. What is Hoya.

And still leaving the question: Who's on first? These are important issues.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
True but as you say not relevant to the original (censored) question in the other thread about Georgetown: "What is a Hoya?" .

To which the correct answer is Yes. What is Hoya.

And still leaving the question: Who's on first? These are important issues.
The thread was drifting into a discussion thread. @MSGRET does a lot of work with the prediction threads and having people drifting off topic makes it more difficult for him to do the work. In the past, he’s requested people post predictions only with no off topic posts, perhaps he should add it back into his rules

Reaction Score
I was a grad student in DC during the early 80s at another Catholic school, and I spent a lot of time on the Georgetown campus (they had a really nice library) and this was indeed the story they told even then... except for the bit about students being required to learn Greek and Latin. That part may be apocryphal. But there are plenty of folks on that campus who know Greek and Latin even now.

Reaction Score
plenty of folks on that campus who know Greek and Latin even now
Most of us knew both Greek & Latin, probably many of our basketball players did as well, but it didn't help: decisively beaten by Georgetown 4 years in a row. Finally won a close game 2 years later.

Reaction Score
A classics scholar once said that this new thing called television would never work, because the word itself was an unholy marriage between a Greek word (tele, meaning far or far off) and a Latin word (videre, to see).

"Hoya saxa" appears to be equally unholy, for the same reason.

Reaction Score
A classics scholar once said that this new thing called television would never work, because the word itself was an unholy marriage between a Greek word (tele, meaning far or far off) and a Latin word (videre, to see).

"Hoya saxa" appears to be equally unholy, for the same reason.
OMG!! I'm a classics scholar! And I can say with some authority that the latin videre is not the only root of the English word vision or video. The Greek word for 'to see' is itself an unholy marriage between an opsomai (ὂψομαι) form (optics and optometrist come from this) and an eidon (εἲδον) form, and though it doesn't look like it, that eidon form contains within it an even older version that was spelled with a digamma which sounded like an English W. So it was pronounced weidon and sometimes widon. Hence our vision and video.

There, I'm sure that was more information than anyone really needed or wanted to know. Go Hoyas!... er, I mean Go Huskies!!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
OMG!! I'm a classics scholar! And I can say with some authority that the latin videre is not the only root of the English word vision or video. The Greek word for 'to see' is itself an unholy marriage between an opsomai (ὂψομαι) form (optics and optometrist come from this) and an eidon (εἲδον) form, and though it doesn't look like it, that eidon form contains within it an even older version that was spelled with a digamma which sounded like an English W. So it was pronounced weidon and sometimes widon. Hence our vision and video.

There, I'm sure that was more information than anyone really needed or wanted to know. Go Hoyas!... er, I mean Go Huskies!!!
I enjoyed it! What other sports board can one log on to and find a post about the classics?

Is eidon also the (or a) root of eidolon? Sounds pretty unholy to me. ;)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The thread was drifting into a discussion thread. @MSGRET does a lot of work with the prediction threads and having people drifting off topic makes it more difficult for him to do the work. In the past, he’s requested people post predictions only with no off topic posts, perhaps he should add it back into his rules
Thank you @HuskyNan, I will take your advise, but add it to the inscription with bold letters so everyone will see it, because some people don't read the rules.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom