What Interaction between Coaches and Players is allowed? | The Boneyard

What Interaction between Coaches and Players is allowed?

Reaction Score
Hi,

I know there are NCAA rules about the amount and kind of interaction coaches can have with players until official practice starts in October.

What precisely can coaches do with players during this pre-practice period?

Thank you.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hi, I know there are NCAA rules about the amount and kind of interaction coaches can have with players until official practice starts in October.
What precisely can coaches do with players during this pre-practice period?
Thank you.
As long as students are enrolled in classes they are allowed to practice for 20 hours per week-not to exceed 7 consecutive days and not more than 4 hours in any single day.
Practice means exactly that and coaches can work on whatever they want to work on.
The team spends much more than 20 hours per week in the gym however. Things like weight lifting and conditioning runs and open gym (pickup games) do not count against the 20 hour limit since coaches are not allowed to be in the gym.

Reaction Score
As long as students are enrolled in classes they are allowed to practice for 20 hours per week-not to exceed 7 consecutive days and not more than 4 hours in any single day.
Practice means exactly that and coaches can work on whatever they want to work on.
The team spends much more than 20 hours per week in the gym however. Things like weight lifting and conditioning runs and open gym (pickup games) do not count against the 20 hour limit since coaches are not allowed to be in the gym.
Great information, CocoHusky

Reaction Score
So the freshmen get a healthy dose of running with the big dogs right about now.

Should the players choose to work on the things the coaches would want them to during their pick-up games (rather than, you know, just have fun) who among the upperclasswomen would lead those sessions? There is no obvious candidate.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So the freshmen get a healthy dose of running with the big dogs right about now.
Should the players choose to work on the things the coaches would want them to during their pick-up games (rather than, you know, just have fun) who among the upperclasswomen would lead those sessions? There is no obvious candidate.
Sure there is. Evina, Christyn or Olivia will. Pick up games at UCONN are not designed for having fun. Maya Moore was alleged to be the most ruthless pickup game player EVER.

Reaction Score
Sure there is. Evina, Christyn or Olivia will. Pick up games at UCONN are not designed for having fun. Maya Moore was alleged to be the most ruthless pickup game player EVER.
More so then Jen or Jamelle

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One or all of those three may be an on court enforcer and Geno alter ego, but do any of them have the in-your-face authority of a Maya, Jen, Jamelle, or DT, Sue, Mo Jeff, or Shea? Proven great players with a passion to win, more than willing to point out the errors of ones ways. Evina may have the game and personality but since she has yet to enter the UConn stat book, hard to tell if she can be a leader on the team. Can or will Squeeks or ONO make you cry? This leadership question isn't just about practice but also about who will take charge during games.

Next year - Paige's way or the highway.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One or all of those three may be an on court enforcer and Geno alter ego, but do any of them have the in-your-face authority of a Maya, Jen, Jamelle, or DT, Sue, Mo Jeff, or Shea? Proven great players with a passion to win, more than willing to point out the errors of ones ways. Evina may have the game and personality but since she has yet to enter the UConn stat book, hard to tell if she can be a leader on the team. Can or will Squeeks or ONO make you cry? This leadership question isn't just about practice but also about who will take charge during games. Next year - Paige's way or the highway.
You bring up an interesting point with regards to having the "personality" to do it. I don't think it is necessary to make anyone cry. That style of leadership would be frowned upon in today's politically correct society. Geno has often spoke about hearing one voice in a huddle when times are tough. Renee & Mo Jefferson had to learn it when they had All time greats as teammates. KML had to learn it, Crystal had to learn it. I have no doubt that Christyn will as well.

Reaction Score
Thanks to CocoHusky for the informative answer.

I have a follow up. If all of this is allowed, what is different once "official" practice starts in October?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks to CocoHusky for the informative answer.
I have a follow up. If all of this is allowed, what is different once "official" practice starts in October?
It is mainly the intensity level, detailed game specific preparation and the focus. The players are also taking more classes and there are also more organized team activities (eg. broadway play) like team dinners and study halls. By the time formal practices start the players have passed their conditioning test-yes there is still such a thing. Pick up games are done. Recruiting visits also happen during this time frame (fall) and the players are assigned as a host for the recruits coming in. Weight lifting specifically get's cut back to maintenance model which at most is a couple of times per week.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I recall reading a few years ago that in the summer, it is permissible for position coaches to work with players on individual skills related to their position, but anything related to team offense or team defense is off limits until October 15.

When the team went to Europe a few years ago and had to play games there, my recollection is that there was a special exemption (granted to all teams who do foreign travel in the summer) to allow team offense and defense to be prepared for those games. But if they hadn't been traveling and playing other teams, it wouldn't have been allowed.

I also recall (since that was the year that the Walker et. al class were freshmen) that Geno complained that when they started "real" practice in October, the freshmen had forgotten everything that they had learned in the summer. He also expressed impatience with their learning pace during the season. That led to the false impression that "Geno never plays freshmen" -- it was largely true of that class, but that was a unique situation. I don't foresee the same issues with this year's freshmen, or next year's.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I recall reading a few years ago that in the summer, it is permissible for position coaches to work with players on individual skills related to their position, but anything related to team offense or team defense is off limits until October 15.

When the team went to Europe a few years ago and had to play games there, my recollection is that there was a special exemption (granted to all teams who do foreign travel in the summer) to allow team offense and defense to be prepared for those games. But if they hadn't been traveling and playing other teams, it wouldn't have been allowed.

I also recall (since that was the year that the Walker et. al class were freshmen) that Geno complained that when they started "real" practice in October, the freshmen had forgotten everything that they had learned in the summer. He also expressed impatience with their learning pace during the season. That led to the false impression that "Geno never plays freshmen" -- it was largely true of that class, but that was a unique situation. I don't foresee the same issues with this year's freshmen, or next year's.
No, this year the complaints will be "Geno never starts freshmen".

Reaction Score

Sorry for the late response, but I just got my Wi-fi back. The above is incorrect. The 20 hour per week rule (and 4 hours per day) ONLY applies to the playing season - which basically starts 42 days before the first game date. Prior to that period, this is the rule:

"Bylaw 17.1.7.2.2 Outside the playing season, . . . only a student-athlete's participation in required weight training, conditioning and skill-related instruction shall be permitted. A student-athlete's participation in such activities per Bylaw 17.02.1 shall be limited to a maximum of eight hours per week with not more than four hours per week spent on skill-related workouts."

Banned activities are laid out in this rule:

17.4.2.2 Prohibited Activities. Prior to the start of on-court preseason basketball practice per Bylaw 17.4.2 (i.e. 42 days prior to first game), members of the institution's coaching staff may not be involved with one or more team members at any location in any of the following activities except as permitted in Bylaws 17.1.7.2.2 and 17.4.6:
(a) Setting up offensive or defensive alignments;
(b) Chalk talks;
(c) Discussions of game strategy;
(d) Reviewing game films or videotapes;
(e) Activities using basketball equipment; or
(f) Observing student-athletes in any basketball activities even if such activities are not arranged by the institution's coach.

Reaction Score
So it would appear that the coaching staff is hands off until sometime in early September, except weight training, conditioning and skill related instruction (whatever that may be - couldn't involve basketball equipment). The players can have pick-up games, but couldn't be ordered to, and the coaches can't be involved with that.

Reaction Score
So it would appear that the coaching staff is hands off until sometime in early September, except weight training, conditioning and skill related instruction (whatever that may be - couldn't involve basketball equipment). The players can have pick-up games, but couldn't be ordered to, and the coaches can't be involved with that.

More like the end of September or the beginning of October.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom