What improvement would you like to see from the returning Huskies ? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What improvement would you like to see from the returning Huskies ?

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I agree with your main point that many posters think players are a little better than they are, which is hard to see unless against top top competition. Now that said, one game does not over ride an entire season. Especially when the team went undefeated this season and have players on all or parts of 111 wins in a row. They had a bad game as a team it happens, for UConn it's only usually 1 or 2 times a year.. Also against the best teams in country.

I agree but think that this board currently has a lot of say "homer" posters who elevate their own and put down your other players. It will probably get worse with the newbies coming on board. If there is one thing I have noticed watching the incoming classes across the country, they have confidence in how they like to talk about themselves ;)

Reaction Score
This board is becoming somewhat of cough cough posters with tainted glasses. Did some of you watch the last game? Did some of you watch the games where some of your players were left open as the defense was focusing on other players? Did some of you notice which players cannot pass the ball on a cutter, or a post up by a cutter as they were unable to make quick decisions. Getting rebounds or assists for example does not define a player as a good defender or passer, you have to look at the points they are giving up around the basket, fouling or not boxing out, you have to look at the players who are not making those passes to the cutter especially on closely guarded players, that takes good decision making and a couple of your players are not good at that. In fact if anything, I would think Geno was trying to hide those flaws and they bit you in the butt in that last game.

I agree. So many times during the seasons I would see cutter flashes in the lane and the person with the ball is slow/hesitant to make the pass and goes somewhere else with the ball, and it makes the job of a cutter even harder to try to be even more open.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
ALL PLAYERS – integrate with Stevens; learn to play with her as a unit this summer before practice starts; help the coaches develop a bench which can significantly contribute in prime time; start teaching the frosh early and often this summer

Samuelson – emulate KML’s two years shooting of 49% from the arch; you were not recruited to be UCONN’s 3rd best 3FG shooter; be capable of leveraging your 6’3” inside the paint for offense, rebounds, and defense (10 blocks?); lift weights for strength not just to toned. Continue to improve at passing particularly passing into the post to Stevens

Dangerfield- Stop the high school dribble, dribble, dribble offense; get with the UCONN passing offense; be consistently very good, not intermittently; play the entire game hard; practice keeping your opponent in front of you, don’t let them dribble by at will; learn to read defenses and react appropriately; don’t worry about your points, you are the PG with scoring options galore; with this team you should be able to destroy the UCONN assists per year record not to mention the career record

Williams – continue to play with intensity but know you will make mistakes, don’t dwell on them; Geno will do that for you:p; be consistently confident, you are the best; practice intermediate jumper and 3FG (Geno may want the option at times to insert Stevens and Camara and move you to guard); watch film for ways to reduce TOs; practice with Collier, Stevens, and Camara learning to play the paint together; jump higher?! :rolleyes:

Nurse – learn to make USA layups:); same as Gabby, don’t dwell on mistakes; learn from them and move on; practice 2FG and 3FG jumpers to keep the edge you displayed this season; push KLS for best 3FG% (she needs the competition for motivation); watch film and practice PG position in case Crystal does not make the sophomore jump and to spell her

Collier – practice, practice, and practice with Stevens and Camara learning to share the post offensively and defensively; learn how to pass to each other plus integrate with Williams; work on developing a high/low game with Stevens and Williams; practice 2FG and 3FG jumpers; you may be taking more with Stevens in the paint; for God’s sake learn to defend someone (Geno made me type this:D)

Camara & Stevens – please be effective as early as possible; commit to learning to playing together as a whole with this season’s players

Megan Walker – we can only hope you are the 2nd coming of the MAYA!;) Even if in lower case.

Mikayla Coombs – hopefully your defense is as good as advertised; if so, you will see playing time

Lexie Gordon & Andra Espinoza-Hunter – at least one of you be offense of the bench

Great post!!! An excellent and workable blueprint for success next season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This board is becoming somewhat of cough cough posters with tainted glasses. Did some of you watch the last game? Did some of you watch the games where some of your players were left open as the defense was focusing on other players? Did some of you notice which players cannot pass the ball on a cutter, or a post up by a cutter as they were unable to make quick decisions. Getting rebounds or assists for example does not define a player as a good defender or passer, you have to look at the points they are giving up around the basket, fouling or not boxing out, you have to look at the players who are not making those passes to the cutter especially on closely guarded players, that takes good decision making and a couple of your players are not good at that. In fact if anything, I would think Geno was trying to hide those flaws and they bit you in the butt in that last game.

An honest and fair assessment. This is the type of honest unbiased observation we need (and should welcome) from non-UConn fans. Whether or not you can take these types of comments at face value is up to each individual that reads them. I think there is substance to your comments. I hope each and everyone of them is addressed, once official practice begins in October.

Other posters have made some very poignant and honest observations here. If UConn is to improve in areas they were soft in this season, those areas first need to be identified and recognized, even if to do so is a bit disconcerting. We heard Geno say several times throughout the year that the team had weaknesses that he was trying to hide.
Now that he has a full complement of players, he can go about the task of addressing/fixing those problem areas.

Reaction Score
* Lou gets stronger physically (at least similar to the change in Pheesa from last year this year)
* Crystal Dangerfield a better mid range shot so she stops trying to take NBA 3-pt shots
* Nat, better hands and footwork, although after almost 3 years at UConn I am not holding out any real expectation.

Since neither you nor me know much about what happens off year---
I assume Dangerfield will perfect the NBA 3 and defense.
Natalie--is what she will be-----we've said all year it is what it is and it was what it was.
Kia will continue being Kia and keep her 3 ball hitting the bottom of the nets
Kyla --will improve her defense and 10 to 15 ft shot percentage
Molly --will improve her confidence and start hitting the 3 and top of key Jumpers (she was noted for in HS) and improve her D
Batuloy will create on her own and hit the 3 with confidence, and play Uconn D
Azura will change how Uconn plays offense and Defense--she will be the "catcher" behind the plate, the soccer goalie and an offensive threat--POY candidate--I presume.
Geno --may learn to play the game and not allow players to think--or to attack the basket without permission---I'm sure he has read our stuff and learned how to be a proper coach. I think each player should have a BB credit card and punch it before scoring--that would be new for 2018 advances advances.

Reaction Score
You keep saying that, and I think the implication that you seem to draw from it (that UConn will still be undersized in the paint) is completely wrong.

It is true that Azura has a diversified offensive game, and on offense, I'm sure Geno will take advantage of that, moving her all over the court as he did with Stewie. But on defense, her customary position (again as with Stewie) will be right under the basket, protecting the rim and blocking layup attempts by any quick guard who gets past Kia or Lou. She will also use her long arms to grab defensive rebounds in quantity. She may not get too many offensive rebounds (except of her own in-close misses), but she will get a full load of defensive rebounds.

When UConn plays South Carolina, Azura will guard A'ja Wilson, and will probably be guarded by A'ja. That will be a marquis matchup, and it is probably one that they will re-enact in the WNBA for the next 10 years or so.

I know that "there is only one Stewie" and that Azura is not Stewie, but there is enough similarity in their physiques and their games that it makes sense to use them similarly at both ends of the court.

I could not agree more--6 ft 6in Guard, in Women's bb??, Mens yes, women hardly. Wing?? Walker is a Wing. Gabby was turned from a guard to a post---struggle but successful---Azura--from all reports has been playing post against this 2016/17 team--would Geno waste that size?? The ONE thing this team needed is a big POST presence---with that, along with the nongraduating core players--that spells Championship--Aja had issues with Miss st's big post---eventually learned to hit shots from 8 or 1o ft and reduced McCowan's effect--
Against Uconn's D with a big post going against Aj 'a --Uconn will have an easier time of it.

We shall see what we shall see---if Azura is a Stewie--super great--if she is a partial Stew--fantastic--but all she has to be is the best possible Azura on the floor and Uconn wins.

Reaction Score
I want to see a change in Geno. Assuming nobody leaves and all the transfers stay and all the freshman still come, he will have very deep and talented team. But, he has a tendency to not use his bench a lot, even when he has deep teams. I never understood why he didn't play Butler, Bent or Irwin more. When he was leading by 30, how much could they have hurt by playing in the second quarter against the other teams first team. That would valuable experience.

The key to beating Miss State was to pressure the ball and taking them out of their rhythm, but it really wasn't possible because he never got the above players ready to be in those situations.

It will be interesting next year because he will have 11 or 12 players who have credentials to play a lot of college minutes.

Funny funny funny---I love these tongue in cheek comments---everyone fall for them---great joke
Geno changing---my belly hurts from laughing---thanks great fun---subtle but funny.

Reaction Score
Read the above while replacing Lou with Stewie. Same ectomorphic body type. Stewie managed to get stronger so can Lou. Stewie is a driven person She wants to succeed. We will see if Lou has a similar drive to improve including strengthing her body. You are absolutely right about a strong core being the key. Not only are you stronger but you will develop better body control on and off the ground.
Replace KLS with Stew, Stew with Maya, Maya with DT, DT with Rebecca---and the list goes on and on. If you are talented beyond the norm--coaches will use physical beatings to control you---take you out of your rhythm---it worked with Stew, partly worked with Maya and only angered DT --and she made you pay. Kia--when you bang her--protect your teeth or body--you'll pay.

Reaction Score
I want to see a change in Geno. Assuming nobody leaves and all the transfers stay and all the freshman still come, he will have very deep and talented team. But, he has a tendency to not use his bench a lot, even when he has deep teams. I never understood why he didn't play Butler, Bent or Irwin more. When he was leading by 30, how much could they have hurt by playing in the second quarter against the other teams first team. That would valuable experience.

The key to beating Miss State was to pressure the ball and taking them out of their rhythm, but it really wasn't possible because he never got the above players ready to be in those situations.

It will be interesting next year because he will have 11 or 12 players who have credentials to play a lot of college minutes.

I don't agree at all. Dangerfield got a quick hook against either UCLA or Oregon after she got lost on defense too easily and gave up a layup. And she was the most highly regarded freshman in the country. Bent and Irwin were good players, but to think they could have played against Miss St and they could have pressured more without giving up more is ludicrous. It's easy to think what coulda been, especially after Miss St took all the effort to beat the undefeated, undisputed top team in the country and then turned around and coughed it up against South Carolina, but they way they played on Friday, I don't think there is a chance in hell that Bent, Irwin, or Butler make a difference in that game in the second half, at least not for the better.

Reaction Score
We align well on the points you're making. The crack about an "American" layup comes from Geno. He was making fun of her recently based on the very things you're citing: she's good at going hard to the basket but "forgets" (Geno again) that when she gets there she has to shoot.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Reaction Score
Gabby - range and consistency on the jumper (look out). Fundamental post moves (that don't rely solely on her quickness).
KLS - Strength yes, but I would add quickness and ball handling. She sometimes has trouble creating her own shot because she's not the quickest or the best ball handler. I'd like to send her to the Rip Hamilton School of Moving Without the Basketball.
Collier - quickness, foot speed, and post moves. You give her righty and lefty baby hooks to go with her shooting ability? Wow..
Dangerfield - Work on shooting, watch a lot of game film on great PG's. Confidence!
Nat - Other than conditioning, just needs a mean streak and to get out of her head a bit. Play with confidence!
Kia- Midrange shooting touch, dribble drives. Would be nice to have another player to beat someone on the bounce other than Dangerfield.
Geno - turn on the press next season! We'll have the depth, athleticism and a veteran team.

Reaction Score
I'm just amazed that someone would want Gabby to work on hitting threes. That is not her game ad eve in the new UConn configuration, it probably never will be., She needs to be able to hit the midrange jumper. You know, the shot every announcer says is almost extinct in the women's game? With her inside moves, the ability to consistently hit a midrange shot will make her virtually unstoppable. If she spends time on threes, she won't have the time she needs to perfect her game. Simple as that.

Other than that, Pheesa getting maybe a bit stronger. I think we can bet she is not likely to have a game like the MSU game again. Others have critiqued Katie Lou's game, and I think they're right. Also spot on are comments about Crystal. Let's hope for a sophomore leap, rather than a jump. If Natalie continues to improve at the same rate as between last year and this year, I think we'll be happy with the result.

Reaction Score
Natalie Butler, when she gets the ball in the paint she needs to go hard to the basket and not put the ball on the floor. She will either make the basket, get fouled, or both.

Reaction Score

I agree with all the posts until this post came along.

Sorry don't agree here.

We can agree to disagree.

IMO there is no way for example "you can pressure the ball" when you have Nat or Kyla in - the way you are suggesting because you open up the floor. That isn't their strength defensively- an open floor And if you have Molly in; they wouldn't guard her.

And all teams don't get better just because they give bench players far less talented than the starters more minutes.

And Geno has won championships with a short bench. I don't understand why you openly say you don't get that when you've seen it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hmmm, to me it is obvious:

1. Gabby needs to increase the reliability of her mid-range jump shot. it has already gotten fairly good, but it could be better, and then she would be unguardable. I don't think she needs to hit 3's.
  2. Napheesa needs to defend without fouling. She has been in foul trouble in nearly every game this year against a Top 10 opponent, as well as some other games. All of those games were closer than they should have been solely because of that.
  3. Lou needs to be less streaky in her 3-point shooting. I think that will happen just as a result of greater personal maturity and experience. KML was much more reliable and less streaky in her last two years than in her first two years, and I think the same thing will be true for Lou.
  4. Molly needs to think less while she is playing, and play more instinctively. And her instincts should include shooting when she is open.
I completely disagree with those who say that Geno will never play more than eight players. Go back and watch some of the games from 2000 and 2001 if you think that. I think Azura will start, Batouly and Megan Walker will get major minutes comparable to what Lou and Napheesa got as freshmen, Crystal will be the backup PG and will play more and better than she did this year, and the other freshmen and bench players will get minutes as their performance in practice warrants.

If Gabby or Napheesa show any signs of still being prone to foul trouble next year, Geno will not hesitate to replace them with Batouly and Megan, and the team will probably do almost as well with that lineup as with the starters. Even the biggest teams will have trouble out-rebounding UConn next year, and opponents will find it nearly impossible to strategize about beating UConn by getting the front court players into foul trouble.

Love this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Azura isn't a post player - she's a wing/guard.

She'll play post and wing. She's 6'6. No way Geno just keeps her outside. He didn't do it with Lou, he won't do it Stevens. She has to learn to use her size to beat opponents. And she is tougher than Lou so she will play some post.

Reaction Score
You keep saying that, and I think the implication that you seem to draw from it (that UConn will still be undersized in the paint) is completely wrong.

It is true that Azura has a diversified offensive game, and on offense, I'm sure Geno will take advantage of that, moving her all over the court as he did with Stewie. But on defense, her customary position (again as with Stewie) will be right under the basket, protecting the rim and blocking layup attempts by any quick guard who gets past Kia or Lou. She will also use her long arms to grab defensive rebounds in quantity. She may not get too many offensive rebounds (except of her own in-close misses), but she will get a full load of defensive rebounds.

When UConn plays South Carolina, Azura will guard A'ja Wilson, and will probably be guarded by A'ja. That will be a marquis matchup, and it is probably one that they will re-enact in the WNBA for the next 10 years or so.

I know that "there is only one Stewie" and that Azura is not Stewie, but there is enough similarity in their physiques and their games that it makes sense to use them similarly at both ends of the court.

love it again!!!!!!!!!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Danger is small and doesn't want her shot blocked... she's not use to playing against trees game after game, that takes some adjusting to

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think the FOULS only happened because the players played out of position all season long... Gabby and Napheesa

Reaction Score
Don't know how many times the esteemed Mr Auriemma himself has pointed out that high school performance means nothing, nothing at all once you put on the husky uniform. High school awards and honors are just that. For high school. Over the years we've had quite a few H.S. stars make their way to UConn who despite their size and abundance of talent took a year or two or three to find their place in the scheme.
So you're saying you want the freshmen NOT to be freshmen? That sounds pretty silly because you say high school stars come in and aren't ready to play until a year or two or three into their college careers.

Reaction Score
Lou played way better than Nurse or Collier did. I have no problem with her game on Friday.
I think other than Gabby, who played better than Lou? I'm amazed at how disrespected Lou has been in remarks about that Final Four semi-final game. Didn't any of you watch it and see exactly who played and who didn't? I'm stunned hearing some of these type comments, again and again. If the rest of the Huskies played the way that she did, we would have been playing for the title on Sunday. PERIOD!

Reaction Score
Just considering the top 6 returnees:

Lou needs to be stronger and improve her defense. She used her length to get lots of steals late in the season. Hopefully, she can work on guarding one-on-one. She needs to be stronger and more assertive on the boards. I'd love to see her add a jump hook.

Pheesa needs to improve her defense. She probably could get a little stronger too. Her offense was really good, but further refinement and expanding her repertoire would be great.

Gabby needs to extend the range on her jump shot and also work on the jumper off the dribble. She has gotten quite proficient at the catch and shoot up to 16' or so. Maybe she could limit the low percentage passes.

Kia has become an elite shooter, so she just needs to maintain that. I'd like to see an expanded offensive repertoire. I like the pull-up bank shot. A little improvement on defense against quick guards would help.

Crystal is likely to make the biggest jump, based on her class status. I'd like to see her FT shooting at 80%. I'd also like to see her shoot closer to the arc. I think her floater is a huge weapon. I want her shooting a little more and probably dribbling a little less. More effort on defense would be a plus.

Nat needs to improve her footwork and her hands. I know those are not easy. I'd also like to see more upper body strength for rebounding and an improved vertical.

In general, there is not a huge amount of room for growth, but some improvement is normal and expected. A little more maturity across the board and leadership could help. Plus a short course in Badassery.
I think Crystal needs to really work on her decision making. I saw her often make poor decisions including dribbling too much along with bad shot making choices.

Reaction Score
Read the above while replacing Lou with Stewie. Same ectomorphic body type. Stewie managed to get stronger so can Lou. Stewie is a driven person She wants to succeed. We will see if Lou has a similar drive to improve including strengthing her body. You are absolutely right about a strong core being the key. Not only are you stronger but you will develop better body control on and off the ground.
I honestly don't remember Stewie getting pummeled like I've seen KLS get banged around, even in her freshman and sophomore years before she "built up her core"! The amount of contact she absorbed this year far exceeded what I saw Gabby and Pheesa take. How many head shots did she have, even in the last few weeks of the season? Headshots have absolutely nothing to do with body contact and regardless of how much stronger you get, what does that have to do with shots to the head???

Reaction Score
I can't think of anything else I want to see from Gabby or Pheesa. They did everything that was asked of them and more. And with a couple more bigs available next year, I think they'll both be able to be more aggressive on the defensive end. Lou needs to get stronger, not just in-game, but over the course of the season. She really seemed to fade toward the end this year. Again, having Azura and Camara will help. I doubt anyone will be playing 40 minutes on a regular basis next year.

For the guards, more consistency and better shot selection for Crystal Dangerfield, a full recovery from the ankle injury for Kia.

And for Molly and Kyla, an opportunity to play and contribute meaningful minutes.
You don't see any potential growth from Pheesa or Gabby? So does that mean that if there was no restrictions in the WNBA and it was worthwhile money wise to do so, you wouldn't have any problem with either of them going straight to the WNBA? Interesting!

Reaction Score
So you're saying you want the freshmen NOT to be freshmen? That sounds pretty silly because you say high school stars come in and aren't ready to play until a year or two or three into their college careers.

No idea how silly it may or may not sound. Just know what I've been seeing watching college ball for three or four decades now. And as I mentioned earlier, in case you missed it, Auriemma has pointed out repeatedly that whatever happened in high school doesn't count at all with regard to playing time. What strikes me as silly is expecting that the incomings will already have the working understanding of what it takes to play UConn offense and defense well enough to start. I expect to read that on certain other boards where the contributors exist on wildly unrealistic expectations. I suppose if it works for them...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom