What if...... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What if......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As a player, no brainer.

Are we a better team? Would Gibbs minutes be better served by more Adams and Purvis and a smattering of TSam. Maybe.

It's an interesting hypothetical and I was talking to my dad about it this morning. I can't believe I'm saying this but I would probably trade Gibbs for Tsam. Gibbs is not a PG and as a result Adams is the only player on the team that can handle the ball. Gibbs also hasn't exactly helped team chemistry at any of his 3 schools.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
BUT what you are misunderstanding is AW said his scenario would have forced JA to be PG at the start so TSam's ball handling would be minimized.
In addition - TSam understood the position better that SG will ever and his skills (except outside shooting) are on par
To me, SG has been the biggest disappointment this year
No way TSam skills are on par with Sterling even discounting outside shooting.

You and others are discounting and/or ignoring other possible reasons why JA hasn't started more often or played more minutes by focusing in on just Sterling.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
BUT what you are misunderstanding is AW said his scenario would have forced JA to be PG at the start so TSam's ball handling would be minimized.
In addition - TSam understood the position better that SG will ever and his skills (except outside shooting) are on par
To me, SG has been the biggest disappointment this year
Exactly, TSam is a Donnel Beverley type in my scenario ( in my mind) ....someone to spell starters and be solid and not try to be the guy. We have too many jack of all trades master of nones here. Adams seems to be able to make us play like the team we need to play like. Pieces fit better when he's on floor. Plus he's a supreme talent.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It's an interesting hypothetical and I was talking to my dad about it this morning. I can't believe I'm saying this but I would probably trade Gibbs for Tsam. Gibbs is not a PG and as a result Adams is the only player on the team that can handle the ball. Gibbs also hasn't exactly helped team chemistry at any of his 3 schools.
Gibbs is not the chemistry problem on this team, not by a long shot.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
No way TSam skills are on par with Sterling even discounting outside shooting.

You and others are discounting and/or ignoring other possible reasons why JA hasn't started more often or played more minutes by focusing in on just Sterling.
That's absolutely true. There are other factors in JA development , I'll grant that. But this hybrid limbo we are stuck in seems to have kept us from becoming anything different than we were in November.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Gibbs is not being used in the right place. At times neither is Hamilton. What hamilton bring to the team is special if used as a 2/3. 4 against smaller teams for the advantage. He should not be leading the team in assist. In my opion, the structure or expectation of the team and some players hurt what should be a less then 5 loss team. I cant help but to imagine what we would do in the Big ten or what Ohio State or Michigan would do in the AAc. or Texas for that matter.
In my opinion Gibbs needs to be played as if he were a pure sharpshooting 2. Ollie's insistance on Sterling playing a heavy role in the PG/ball handling duties is hurting him and this team, he's simply not skilled enough to do that, ball handling should be left strictly to DHam and Adams.

Reaction Score
Was never a fan of TSam because he wasn't good ball handler, passer or shooter. What he did do for us is drive open lanes a few times in the tourney that were created by the outside threats of Bazz and Boat. Gibbs is head and shoulders above TSam.
The other thing is we wouldn't have Miller and he has been outstanding for us.
Maybe Jalen would have played more PG and that would have been a plus for us but overall I'll take the transfers.

Reaction Score
I think I might actually prefer Palatine's suggestion that we put the bench on the court.

This is some insane revisionist history regarding Samuel.

Reaction Score
I think the move ultimately worked out best for all involved (even though it appears the best for UConn was just a bridge 5th year transfer to the Adams legacy). Samuel thrived with a great leader by his side. Napier had what no player on this team has....the ability to make teammates better on a regular basis. Adams will grow into that role (hopefully as we enter March) and the addition of Gilbert will bring JA's game to another level. Both these guys will bring a very healthy competition to the table as it relates to team dynamics. Gilbert is a tireless worker with boundless energy. Adams has all the physical tools to grow into an NBA guard after 4 years at UConn. I wouldn't be surprised to see TSam turn into a key starter by his senior year at Penn State. That could be the year Penn State is a legit sleeper nationally. His experience will be very valuable to Penn State that year. Samuel loved UConn. He really is a great kid.

Reaction Score
Somehow a team whose offense is already bad is going to improve by trading their only reliable outside shooter for a kid who was one of the more destructive offensive players in UConn history last season? Help me out with that.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
That's absolutely true. There are other factors in JA development , I'll grant that. But this hybrid limbo we are stuck in seems to have kept us from becoming anything different than we were in November.
I came on strong because, like most public trends, people create scenarios that are overly simplified, other people echo it and suddenly the scenario is fact.
Last year it was Rodney. This year it's Sterling. In Germany pre WWII it was Jews, Boshevicks etc. Currently in America it's Mexicans, Muslims etc.

This is not a dig on your hypothetic suggestion. You're suggestion is a narrative that is worth exploring. But taken with what I observe in the chatroom and the plethora of threads recently in this forum I felt the need to butt in. I'm choosing a thread less charged than others.

There are valid possible reasons JA has been brought in slowly.
Of the guards his 3 pt shooting has been the worst.
He was the most turnover prone until recently.
He's not a pg that is balanced. He is focused more on driving to the basket than distributing. His athleticism makes up for it in that if he gets into trouble he can contort his body and distribute, (yes this is his much superior attribute over SG), but teams will easily figure out how to negate his drives to the basket if he doesn't become a better 3 pt shooter unless some of the other weaknesses on this team improve. That's what happened to TB but at least his supporting cast made up for the weakness and TB was a pass first guard.
His defense has been the poorest of the four guards prior to his benching.
He yells at his team mates on and off the court. That's maturational but if not taken to task will not change and will be a big problem.
He is foul prone. He would have received a lot more playing time in the first half but he picked up two quick fouls. And yes they were bogus but part of his problem is he doesn't know how to interact with the refs. Kemba was a master at interacting with the refs. His smile was infectious. Bazz didn't use this method but chose to go to the refs and politely discuss what happened. Jerome, Jalen, Amida and Shonn scowl at the refs. The refs should be unbiased. But most of us know that's not how things work. Smart players figure things out and work with the system. The "so called" principled players will be sitting on the bench with foul problems.

SG can drive to the basket. He struggles with finishing and/or distributing. Is he selfish? I disagree with people proposing this. He certainly lacks Jalens quick burst and jumping ability so the coaches move the bigs away from the basket to allow for more spacing. It's compensation for his limitations. But not having players to distribute is part of the problem. SG does not inflame the refs or other players. He drastically improved his defense (Jalen has as well) and manages to stay out of foul trouble. I love TSam, but he was a poorer version of SG in all aspects of the game imo and I feel strongly that forcing the coaching staff to put in an immature and undisciplined Jalen from the start of the season would have inhibited his development and the future of UConn as opposed to helping it.

Reaction Score
Somehow a team whose offense is already bad is going to improve by trading their only reliable outside shooter for a kid who was one of the more destructive offensive players in UConn history last season? Help me out with that.

Purvis is our most reliable outside shooter this year not Gibbs. Just looking at this years stats at UConn. Samuel also had the ability to be a plus defender to mitigate some of his offensive woes (which their were plenty). Defending at a high level is not really in the Gibbs DNA although he has been good at times.

Reaction Score
Purvis is our most reliable outside shooter this year not Gibbs. Just looking at this years stats at UConn. Samuel also had the ability to be a plus defender to mitigate some of his offensive woes (which their were plenty). Defending at a high level is not really in the Gibbs DNA although he has been good at times.

True. Gibbs is in that range though. I think he's been better defensively.

Reaction Score
I came on strong because, like most public trends, people create scenarios that are overly simplified, other people echo it and suddenly the scenario is fact.
Last year it was Rodney. This year it's Sterling. In Germany pre WWII it was Jews, Boshevicks etc. Currently in America it's Mexicans, Muslims etc.

This is not a dig on your hypothetic suggestion. You're suggestion is a narrative that is worth exploring. But taken with what I observe in the chatroom and the plethora of threads recently in this forum I felt the need to butt in. I'm choosing a thread less charged than others.

There are valid possible reasons JA has been brought in slowly.
Of the guards his 3 pt shooting has been the worst.
He was the most turnover prone until recently.
He's not a pg that is balanced. He is focused more on driving to the basket than distributing. His athleticism makes up for it in that if he gets into trouble he can contort his body and distribute, (yes this is his much superior attribute over SG), but teams will easily figure out how to negate his drives to the basket if he doesn't become a better 3 pt shooter unless some of the other weaknesses on this team improve. That's what happened to TB but at least his supporting cast made up for the weakness and TB was a pass first guard.
His defense has been the poorest of the four guards prior to his benching.
He yells at his team mates on and off the court. That's maturational but if not taken to task will not change and will be a big problem.
He is foul prone. He would have received a lot more playing time in the first half but he picked up two quick fouls. And yes they were bogus but part of his problem is he doesn't know how to interact with the refs. Kemba was a master at interacting with the refs. His smile was infectious. Bazz didn't use this method but chose to go to the refs and politely discuss what happened. Jerome, Jalen, Amida and Shonn scowl at the refs. The refs should be unbiased. But most of us know that's not how things work. Smart players figure things out and work with the system. The "so called" principled players will be sitting on the bench with foul problems.

SG can drive to the basket. He struggles with finishing and/or distributing. Is he selfish? I disagree with people proposing this. He certainly lacks Jalens quick burst and jumping ability so the coaches move the bigs away from the basket to allow for more spacing. It's compensation for his limitations. But not having players to distribute is part of the problem. SG does not inflame the refs or other players. He drastically improved his defense (Jalen has as well) and manages to stay out of foul trouble. I love TSam, but he was a poorer version of SG in all aspects of the game imo and I feel strongly that forcing the coaching staff to put in an immature and undisciplined Jalen from the start of the season would have inhibited his development and the future of UConn as opposed to helping it.

Some fair points there...

Reaction Score
True. Gibbs is in that range though. I think he's been better defensively.

Glad to see you are pretty high on Gibbs. He is a shooter when he can get his shot off. That bodes well for our chances in March. ;)

The Tournament should be great this year.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Glad to see you are pretty high on Gibbs. He is a shooter when he can get his shot off. That bodes well for our chances in March. ;)

The Tournament should be great this year.
SG and OC and Jalen have become quite good at defense. There is a reason for the teams defense being so good and it's not just Rodney and AB.

My biggest concern on defense is DHam followed by Shonn. Last season Omar was guilty of the same problem - over hedging on help defense or rebounding at the expense of defending his respective player. He's tightened this up considerably. And he, Jalen and Sterling have improved significantly at keeping their players from getting by them, although they still sometimes struggle.

If you watch the past three games you will notice that in every one of the runs the primary culprits in allowing the 3 point shots were either DHam or Shonn. Now they make up for it somewhat by getting defensive rebounds. But they can significantly help the team if they can time their rebounding help with guarding their respective players better. I don't think DHam can guard players better at driving to the lane, but I didn't think Omar would ever be able to tighten things up at all and he most certainly has improved.

Reaction Score
No, we wouldn't. TSam served his purpose in 2014 in the tournament and didn't do anything for us after that.

Gibbs is a good player who hasn't had a good season. I still want him when/if we get into the tournament.

Reaction Score
In my opinion Gibbs needs to be played as if he were a pure sharpshooting 2. Ollie's insistance on Sterling playing a heavy role in the PG/ball handling duties is hurting him and this team, he's simply not skilled enough to do that, ball handling should be left strictly to DHam and Adams.
Agreed

Reaction Score
Adams would have been playing huge minutes at the start of the year which is intriguing to think how he may have developed but I think you are forgetting how horrible TSam was last year, he looked so out of place at this level. He did have some great moments in the torunament as a change of pace guy off the bench in a 3 man backcourt with the other 2 studs, once he was forced into big minutes the following year it became clear he wasn't a Uconn level player.
He actually ran the offense pretty well after a rough start in the ASU game last year.
I even think he score in double figures. He was a tough kid.
I also think he understood the KO offense better than Gibbs having played in it for a couple of years with no previous system baggage.
The Big question is ,could he shoot good
enough to force the defense to play him.?
If he did than he would be an upgrade if not Gibbs hands down.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to seeing a Penn State game next season!
I'm also.
TSam had heart ,I hope he recognized that shooting was the main thing standing between him and significant minutes. I would love to see him succeed.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
So if all of you were baseball managers, you would have your big draft pick skip the minors?
There is a reason players are broken into a new level. Sometimes being thrown to the wolves hurts a player and a team.
We have seen our star freshmen not start for decades. Suddenly, Adams not playing 38 minutes a game makes Ollie a war criminal.

I honestly don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3