What if the STREAK never ends? | The Boneyard

What if the STREAK never ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, this has become absolutely ridiculous. It's now been 3 straight games vs ranked opponents since Geno was practically begging for a team, any team, to "beat this team's ass, soon and good." Surely, on the road in a hostile environment, against the number 1/2 team in the nation, a team loaded with talent, coached by one of the best in WBB.....surely, UConn could be expected to lose at mighty Notre Dame....but alas, it was not to be.

One of two things is going on here. Either all of these ranked teams are not as "good as everyone says they are," or these young, rebellious Huskies continue to defy Geno's wish that they would be brought down to earth soon and good.

As I have stated in an earlier post, if this continues throughout the season, UConn WBB may never lose another game.....ever.....and you know what that will lead to? Dan Shaughnessy will write another one of those stories about how UConn is bad for WBB. Everyone will get pissed off. There will be finger-pointing and recriminations among the press, coaches and fans. We will all descend deep into the Heart of Darkness.

The horror! The horror!

;):):cool::p:D:rolleyes:

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK, this has become absolutely ridiculous. It's now been 3 straight games vs ranked opponents since Geno was practically begging for a team, any team, to "beat this team's ass, soon and good." Surely, on the road in a hostile environment, against the number 1/2 team in the nation, a team loaded with talent, coached by one of the best in WBB.....surely, UConn could be expected to lose at mighty Notre Dame....but alas, it was not to be.

One of two things is going on here. Either all of these ranked teams are not as "good as everyone says they are," or these young, rebellious Huskies continue to defy Geno's wish that they would be brought down to earth soon and good.

As I have stated in an earlier post, if this continues throughout the season, UConn WBB may never lose another game.....ever.....and you know what that will lead to? Dan Shaughnessy will write another one of those stories about how UConn is bad for WBB. Everyone will get pissed off. There will be finger-pointing and recriminations among the press, coaches and fans. We will all descend deep into the Heart of Darkness.

The horror! The horror!

Dan Shaughnessy was advocating for "closer more competitive games" so I now picture him very satisfied as if he was stuffing a dozen Crispy Cream donuts in his face! Unless he never cared for WCBB at all, which I suspect was the case. UCONN will be no different, even if the streak had ended. They will go into the next practice figuring out how they can get better. The win streak is just a by product of that hard work. This team's legacy will not be defined by the ND win or even if they happen to break the streak, as much as if they were to deliver Championship #12- which could be a gateway to break UCLA's 7 in a row.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I had an imagine last night of the team singing " How Ya Like Me Now".
:cool:

Maybe ND Nation awakening suddenly in the middle of the night, shaken by Queen: "We will, we will rock you!":mad:

Then becalmed by (Irish) Andrea McArdle, singing, "The sun'll come out - Tomorrow.":)

Back to sleep with the leprechauns.:D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In all honesty, I am overwhelmed by just how hard these ladies play: Lou, getting hand-checked & bumped all game, driving to the basket time after time for key scores, Pheesa in constant motion on offense, making cut after cut to the basket, Kia digging in on defense all game long against ND's guards and Gabby being all-worldly doing just about everything. Throw in some solid efforts from Danger, Saniya and Nat.....unbelieveable effort by this team.

Reaction Score

The horror! The horror!

This year, our margin is narrow. So many things can tip the delicate balance, fouling out, season-game ending injury, a good opponent on a tear, the bench falling apart, the power going out as we put up the last shot. However, getting past Maryland will help.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This year, our margin is narrow. So many things can tip the delicate balance, fouling out, season-game ending injury, a good opponent on a tear, the bench falling apart, the power going out as we put up the last shot. However, getting past Maryland will help.
That's exactly right--the margin of victory and the margin for error are smaller the year. But we won by something like 38 ppg and 40 ppg the past two seasons, so we could afford to drop off some and still win all the time. This is a proud and tough bunch. And they are getting better.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe ND Nation awakening suddenly in the middle of the night, shaken by Queen: "We will, we will rock you!":mad:

Then becalmed by (Irish) Andrea McArdle, singing, "The sun'll come out - Tomorrow.":)

Uhm... Shouldn't that be Queen's "We will, we will rock you" ? :eek:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I was at XL for the magical win #89 in a row back in December 2010. It was an amazing evening. However, in 2016 and 2017, Ohio State and Maryland will be no walks in the park. If UConn got to 91 in a row, that would be an incredible accomplishment. I'm just thoroughly enjoying the ride and would love to see another winning streak: 6...at the end of the NCAA Tournament.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If, (a pretty big if!) they do go undefeated this season, there is just no telling how far it might extend. It is very hard to see how anyone is going to play with them for the next couple of years, especially if Stevens stays for her last year of eligibility, but even if not. Tony's notorious prediction may yet prove accurate, just a few years off! Looks like maybe the road goes on forever and the party never ends!

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score

The horror! The horror!

The streak will end ...................One day. But let's all hope its next season.

Reaction Score

Smart post, FF. The issues at the start of the season persist: inexperience, size, depth. The ladies have dealt decisively with the first two, but they cannot afford to lose a single one of the Core Four. Depth will be the prevailing issue no matter what the team's success. I hold my breath every time Lou, Napheesa, Gabby, or Kia get bounced around too much. All have had various nicks and bumps in the past. Let's hope.

HGN

Reaction Score
I don't understand. What is the problem with not losing another game ? :cool:
Its bad for women's basketball , that's what...........Haven't you been reading the pundits comments?
Not losing means you are doing your job and everybody else is not doing theirs.

Mediocrity loves company. And here the Huskies are running around year after year being malcontents and trying to win. It's shameful what the Huskies are doing.

Just ask any pundit or most any other WCBB team. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The streak will end ....One day. But let's all hope its next season.
HGN, if the streak is going to end one day, and I'm not for a second agreeing with you on that particular point, why not hope that it is some day far in the future when you and I are pushing up daisies, rather than next season?

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
The danger to the streak before NCAA's is really only MD and SCarolina and SC is the bigger threat. They should go 16-0 in conference again and win the conference tourney. SC could be #100 in a row. This is the year of worry. UConn will be big favorites in the following 2 to win it all and possibly to go undefeated again. The roster will be stacked!

Reaction Score
If the team gets through this season undefeated, the term "streak" will have to be amended to "fact of life;" and a popular adage will become "death, taxes and UConn."

Reaction Score
OK, this has become absolutely ridiculous. It's now been 3 straight games vs ranked opponents since Geno was practically begging for a team, any team, to "beat this team's ass, soon and good."

The horror! The horror!

It's hard for me to believe there are still many BY'ers naive enough to believe that statement of Geno's.

Reaction Score
OK, this has become absolutely ridiculous. It's now been 3 straight games vs ranked opponents since Geno was practically begging for a team, any team, to "beat this team's ass, soon and good."

The horror! The horror!

It's hard for me to believe there are still many BY'ers naive enough to believe that statement of Geno's.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No, and I don't believe the players were buying it either, but it probably pissed the team off when he said it, and they worked that much harder to beat the hell out of DePaul, TX & ND. So from Geno's point of view, it worked like a charm.

Reaction Score
OK, this has become absolutely ridiculous. It's now been 3 straight games vs ranked opponents since Geno was practically begging for a team, any team, to "beat this team's ass, soon and good." ...

What I think was going on here was simply Geno the master psychologist at work again. In the parlance of some in our society he was trying them. They responded by saying, "Oh yeah? We'll show you". He challenged them to eliminate so many mistakes and to play harder and tougher. They have. The key players have all stepped up their games.

HGN

Reaction Score
HGN, if the streak is going to end one day, and I'm not for a second agreeing with you on that particular point, why not hope that it is some day far in the future when you and I are pushing up daisies, rather than next season?
Ok, I'll take that. FAR FAR FAR in the future.

Reaction Score

The only thing better would be "The Wind Beneath My Wings.":D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member