What I'd like to see vs. Xavier | The Boneyard

What I'd like to see vs. Xavier

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Don't let the record fool you - Xavier has played pretty much no one this year (wins over Detroit Mercy, Wofford and Indiana State and a loss to Valpo), and was picked 9th out of 11 teams in the preseason big east. They aren't as bad as Georgetown or Providence, but the bottom of the big east in general is pretty bad.

Keep in Mind Creighton and Seton Hall were preseason 5 and 6, and we beat them by 33 and 27. I will honestly be disappointed if this is not a 40 point blowout or more.

I think most would agree that we will know more about this team after their first 5 games. they are playing them in rapid succession with only a day or 2 in between for tweaks for the next game. For Xavier, they have 2 days off, a luxury for this week!

Baby steps this season. I hope Paige bounces back and has a better game. You know the competitive fire burns super hot in her belly, and you know she was not happy with her performance against Creighton. Geno has commented on her steady demeanor - not too high, not too low, and while I don't expect a triple double from her, It will be really interesting to see how she bounces back from a game where everyone, including herself, probably thinks was sub-par. Xavier's starting PG is tiny - Dangerfield tiny - 5'4". I'm guessing she's quick. Could be a problem for Paige.

We will see if Olivia can build. She didn't miss a shot last game, but surprisingly few rebounds. Xavier has some decent size but their starting center is 6'2", and their 2 big kids (over 6'4") don't get much PT or score much. And let's be fair to Olivia - she's always going to be more of a finesse player. Aaliyah is a strong body banger. You are never going to see Olivia with the kind of strength of physicality of Aaliyah, so talking or complaining about it every week won't change anything. For her, I love how she scores in a variety of ways. She hit 2 shots from deep - one a deep 2 and 1 a 3-point shot. If she can use her variety of post moves and also have a good jumper, it makes it that much harder to guard her.

Christyn has been good at everything except scoring, even if that's what everyone looks at first (missed layups, missed wide open shots). I don't expect that to change any time soon. If anyone needs to work on her shot after the game, it's her. She was such a scorer in high school, it's kind of mystifying that as a junior, she misses so many open shots. Will they eventually start falling for her, or will she just continue with more of the same? Obviously I'd like to see more shots drop and for people to see why she was the #1 recruit coming out of HS.

Some have been a bit down on Anna, but if you look at the stats, both she and Evina do a lot of other things, and it's pretty clear if you focus on them and watch when they play. I'd definitely like to see each of them score a bit more - Anna to average closer to 10 PPG (she's at 8) and Evina in the 7-8 PPG range (she's at 5). That's literally 1 more made shot per game. They are 3'd and 4th on the team in minutes played so they must be doing something right.

Aaliyah (along with Paige) took a step back last game, but that's expected for freshmen. We will see how she responds. Hopefully Mir is out of the doghouse. Aubrey had a nice game vs. Creighton. Build on that! And NO letup in the 4th quarter please, no matter who is in the game. we got the lead up to 40 vs. Creighton and a barrage of 3's closed the gap.

Creighton actually had open 3 point shots all game long. we were lucky they missed so many. Mir would be a help on defending the 3 point line... at least I think she would be.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Paige follow Geno's advise and get her 20 before she tries to make everybody else happy. Actually, no so literally. Sort of one for me, one for you, one for me, another one for me, one for you....

Reaction Score
You guys covered it all. so I just reverted to coach speak, better consistency, more aggressiveness and better communication. I love Rocky comment about Paige.

Reaction Score
First, I would like to the see the team win convincingly. I would like to see strong defense. Olivia be consistent. Evina continue to be a steady force scoring between 8 and 12 points. Anna score 4 3 point shots. Aliyah get a double double. Mir McLean come in and score 15 points. Crystal be Crystal and drive the basket like crazy. Autumn make a 3 point shot. Piath get 6 points. Paige does not have to bounce back from anything. And, a partridge in a pear tree.

Reaction Score
First, I would like to the see the team win convincingly. I would like to see strong defense. Olivia be consistent. Evina continue to be a steady force scoring between 8 and 12 points. Anna score 4 3 point shots. Aliyah get a double double. Mir McLean come in and score 15 points. Crystal be Crystal and drive the basket like crazy. Autumn make a 3 point shot. Piath get 6 points. Paige does not have to bounce back from anything. And, a partridge in a pear tree.

Crystal? :oops:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You guys covered it all. so I just reverted to coach speak, better consistency, more aggressiveness and better communication. I love Rocky comment about Paige.
Thanks Geno! ;)

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Paige taking the last shot in any end of quarter or must get points situation! last game CW had the ball 3 times (the end of the first 3 quarters) and it resulted in no points on all 3 attempts.
So would Auriemma if he can get her to take it.

Reaction Score
Creighton actually had open 3 point shots all game long. we were lucky they missed so many. Mir would be a help on defending the 3 point line... at least I think she would be.

IMO no UCONN wasn't "lucky." The pace of the game - the speed of a top team's recovery vs what a team like Creighton is used to, plus the energy they use up on defense-- imo it wasn't lucky at all.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Paige take more shots and be more decisive to get rid of the walk calls.

I'd like Anna and Evina to continue their upward trend on scoring.

I'd like to see UConn style 3 pt scoring and efficiency.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What I'd like to see...
Great ball movement, stifling defense,
for the new kids to grasp the rudiments of the system.
continued aggression, fewer fouls, and good health...

Happy Holidays
MSF

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Paige taking the last shot in any end of quarter or must get points situation! last game CW had the ball 3 times (the end of the first 3 quarters) and it resulted in no points on all 3 attempts.
The ball should go in to Liv for a last shot at the end of any quarter .. if they collapse on her, someone should be open at the arc .. otherwise, she can score from close in, or get fouled and get to the line, eh? the pass to Liv should be made by Paige or Anna..

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Four things I'd like to see:

1-A video replay of the UConn-Xavier game
2-A video replay of Geno's postgame press conference
3-A video replay of the players' postgame press conferences
4-A video replay of "Huskies All Access"

Thank you.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the same things I hoped for and saw some of last game:
1. Liv continue to score through contact. She broke out with an arsenal of low post moves and jumpers last game. I don't think she will be perfect again, but more of the same and continue to build on it!
2. AE to come in and give us some good minutes. Show she can give a scoring punch off the bench.
3. Need CW to start hitting shots!

I left out PB bc I have no doubt she will get her mojo back.

My fourth and fifth would be for Anna and EW to score a bit more, and by a bit, I mean 10-12 points and hit their jumpers.

I would be thrilled to see MM gets some PT and make Geno happy with her again!! It's not nice to be grouchy around Christmas time!! :)

Reaction Score
Great points made by all. Just want to see the continued growth of everyone.

Reaction Score
The ball should go in to Liv for a last shot at the end of any quarter .. if they collapse on her, someone should be open at the arc .. otherwise, she can score from close in, or get fouled and get to the line, eh? the pass to Liv should be made by Paige or Anna..
Hey Jazz .. did you see Liv's step-thru & baby-hook? it was at 7:40 to go in 3rd quarter

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the same things I hoped for and saw some of last game:
1. Liv continue to score through contact. She broke out with an arsenal of low post moves and jumpers last game. I don't think she will be perfect again, but more of the same and continue to build on it!
2. AE to come in and give us some good minutes. Show she can give a scoring punch off the bench.
3. Need CW to start hitting shots!

I left out PB bc I have no doubt she will get her mojo back.

My fourth and fifth would be for Anna and EW to score a bit more, and by a bit, I mean 10-12 points and hit their jumpers.

I would be thrilled to see MM gets some PT and make Geno happy with her again!! It's not nice to be grouchy around Christmas time!! :)
CW getting too much playing time .. it's unwarranted .. 15 more minutes than Liv? .. I don't want to see a MW scenario develop .. it hurt us last year?

Reaction Score
Hey Jazz .. did you see Liv's step-thru & baby-hook? it was at 7:40 to go in 3rd quarter
Yes I just took another look at it. Thanks for the reminder. That was a great move. But.....she needs to finish through contact....

The great thing is, we all knows she has 5 low post moves in her arsenal and can hit the jumper too. Now the big question: Is she strong enough to be successful with this against good and strong competition? I am a bit worried about that. Even if she isn't, I still think she can get 12 and 10,m which I hope and think will be good enough.

She can't wear down as the game goes on and miss easy layups and commit silly fouls.

Reaction Score
CW getting too much playing time .. it's unwarranted .. 15 more minutes than Liv? .. I don't want to see a MW scenario develop .. it hurt us last year?
I think Geno likes to keep his guards in longer and he sat Liv for a good portion of the 4th quarter. No NM either. But, I hear what you are saying.

As far as MW, I'm not sure what happened last year. I think she had a good year. She is a scorer and showed she could be a good rebounder. I was particularly impressed with the rebounding. MW was not a good facilitator of the bb. But many are not.

In saying that, she disappeared against top competition. Missed her jumpers and wasn't creative enough on the drive. Could she have turned the corner in the post season?? I think she might have. All she had to do is hit her jumpers against top competition and the rest would have opened up. Remember TASS; they couldn't carry the load as juniors either and they had each other to lean on.

I think the coaches would have sat her down with the film and said: You need to come up big in these big games in an efficient way or we don't win. Let's say she did and they get to the FF or even win it all, are we having a different conversation?

On a side note, I wish I knew why she left early...maybe she felt alone being the last one left in her class...

Reaction Score
Yes I just took another look at it. Thanks for the reminder. That was a great move. But.....she needs to finish through contact....

The great thing is, we all knows she has 5 low post moves in her arsenal and can hit the jumper too. Now the big question: Is she strong enough to be successful with this against good and strong competition? I am a bit worried about that. Even if she isn't, I still think she can get 12 and 10,m which I hope and think will be good enough.

She can't wear down as the game goes on and miss easy layups and commit silly fouls.
Finishing through contact and getting fouled on a post move are two different things. It's difficult to tell how "hard" the foul is, eh? It looked to me that there was contact on the several post moves she successfully made vs Creighton. I mean, where do you draw the line?
You don't need to be a "power" player to be successful down low. I think Breanna & Kareem have dispelled that narrative, n'est-ce pas?

Reaction Score
Finishing through contact and getting fouled on a post move are two different things. It's difficult to tell how "hard" the foul is, eh? It looked to me that there was contact on the several post moves she successfully made vs Creighton. I mean, where do you draw the line?
You don't need to be a "power" player to be successful down low. I think Breanna & Kareem have dispelled that narrative, n'est-ce pas?
When I say finish through contact, I mean it would have been great if she would have made the shot. Also, I don't think all contact is called that could be called so she needs to take the bump and muscle up the shot and make it. I like to see that on a more consistent basis.

Two players who are really good at it are AG and CW. Breanna wasn't a power player (although I would argue she had more power than the eye would suggest), but is/was strong and made her share of buckets with the foul called or not called. Liv is a very linear player and loses balance on contact which makes it harder for her to muscle up her shots and make them on contact...especially if the contact is from a big.

Anyway, I don't want to take away from a great game from Liv...probably her best offensive game to date. I guess AG stole the rebounds Liv would have had, otherwise an even better game! :)

I'm am very excited to see where Liv goes from here and hope this isn't a 'one off' game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom