What I'd like to see vs. Dayton | The Boneyard

What I'd like to see vs. Dayton

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
First, Dayton seems to play a rotation of 8. Some decent size - Two at 6'2", two at 6'1", then two at 5'6" and one at 5'10". They account for the majority of scoring and minutes. They were always well coached when Jim Jabir was there, but now the HC is Shauna Green. He stepped down in 2016 for personal reasons.

They take almost 20 3-pointers per game and make about 6.5 on average - we've had problems giving up open 3-point shots to other teams. I expect Dayton to try to exploit this and get us out of position on defense. But they only average 68 PPG and have losses to South Carolina by 26 and Central Michigan by 1. SC blitzed them in the 1st quarter by a 16 point margin and then it was "fairly" close the rest of the game (SC won the last 3 quarters by a total of 10).

I'd like to see UCONN score over 80. I'd like our offense to get on track better. So many missed layups - we've often poked fun at other teams who miss bunnies left and right, and this is the first UCONN team I can remember in a long time that has struggled so much to finish around the rim.

Anna had a really nice game vs Virginia, taking several steps forward, but was a mess vs. OSU so it felt like 3 steps back. I'd like to see something closer to Virginia. Score 8-10 points, dish out 5-6 assists, grab some boards and contribute to the flow of the offense.

Kyla has been a bit of a revelation this season, right? I mean this as a positive - I no longer cringe when she comes off the bench. I know she's going to do good things out on the court INCLUDING score the basketball. I think her confidence has soared as she realized she needs to stick to doing what she does well, and not try to do too much. I really hope this continues because not only does she totally deserve every good thing, but she's a vocal leader out there and a steadying influence.

I didn't think Megan was great vs. OSU - I thought she was great in every other game this season. I'd settle for "just" very good tonight!

Christyn has had moments of incredible greatness punctuated by long stretches of disappearing. I'd like to see more involvement and good stuff, even if it's not great, and less of the MIA. I thought she looked improved vs. OSU so keep it moving forward please!!

Crystal - not sure if it's still injuries or what - but she's struggling IMHO as the team leader. I don't feel like she has total control of the offense, even tho she does some really good things. There is so much more pressure on her this year because aside from Megan (and Kyla), the rest of the core group is filled with underclassmen. Maybe I am expecting too much from her because I don't think Geno has ever criticized her, so maybe she's performing at 100% of what she's capable of...

Olivia - please do not bring the ball down so far, or shoot from your hip. You will be blocked or stripped. Please keep the ball high and use your height as a weapon. OSU was big and strong and it bothered her. In fairness, 38 minutes on the floor vs. OSU and 4 fouls. That was solid.

It also felt like Aubrey took a small step backwards vs. OSU. I just didn't notice her out on the court, but she only played 7 minutes so let's hope that improves.

Bottom line - I'd like to see our starters play less than 35 minutes each (Crystal, Christyn and Megan played 40 vs OSU while Olivia was out there for 38). I'd like to see small improvements in the motion offense. I'd like to see more layups actually go in. I'd like to see us clamp down on the 3-point shooting and not let Dayton go off. I'd like to see a 25-30 point win. Go UCONN!

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I'd like to see us jump out to a healthy lead (15+ points) by half time to Geno can rest CD and ONO.

While they're resting, I'd like to see combinations of the bench with MW and CW able to hold and, hopefully, increase the lead.

But if I'm making a wish list...
AM scores 10+ or has 5+ assists.
AG has 6+ rebounds.
MB gets her first points of the season.
EA for 5+ minutes.
KI stays perfect from the field (and not because she doesn't take any shots...).

Reaction Score
I want the score and Geno's allocation of minutes to be such that Molly,Evelyn,Aubrey,and Kyla all get at least 15 minutes of playing time.Also i would like someone other than the clear and present Danger play the point just in case it ever becomes necessary later on.I have seen video of Evelyn scoring 28 points vs. the orange marmalade team and now she can't make it to the floor? Wassup wi dat. Seems like she should be a major contributor by now.Hope this is the game she at least gives us a glimpse of what might come later.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Don't leave me hangin. Which thread?
No game threads. Real time game comments are in the chat forum. See "Chat" at the top of the Boneyard page and then go to Women's Basketball.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sorry, I edited it to say "chat room" but you were too quick for me. But I see @Biff took good care of you :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think I may need to make these posts a habit. The only other one I did was for the UVA game. As I said after that game, as far as my "wishes"... I got all that and a bag of chips. Tremendous effort by all who played...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom