What I Learned Today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What I Learned Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
What I learned...

Take what you can in points. I will not fault HCPP for going for it on 4th and 2 in the 1st half. But now he should know better. I don't think we can rely on offense for points. So if it's there, take it.
That field goal wasn't a given because of the wind. I watched Christen miss 45 yard field goals in warm ups at half time. He usually sticks everything from that range easy.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what to think to be honest. We just played terribly against a good team and we only lost by 3. On the other hand, we played terribly.

Reaction Score
Our problem is two fold. One our offensive line is not to the standard that past lines have established. This can and should be addressed quickly. The other problem is more complicated. We need play makers at all the skill positions on offensive. Receivers who can separate from the defender a bigger all purpose back and most importantly a quality QB. Major BCS play makers are not a dime a dozen say like quality linemen.

Yes we had Dan O and yes we had Donald B and some quality wrs. The problem is we didn't have them at the same time. And that will take a big time coach who can recruit with the 2nd tier teams.

Our WR's and RB's are fine. The Oline is HORRIBLE other than Bennett and our QB isn't the sharpest tool to say the least. Some of the worst decision making I've seen from a UConn QB. QB's in the past just didn't have the talent. TW has the arm but things aren't connecting upstairs...maybe he needs more time in the offense or maybe it's DeLeone. Whatever it is we know that our offense SUCKS...again...

Reaction Score
I have no idea what to think to be honest. We just played terribly against a good team and we only lost by 3. On the other hand, we played terribly.
Correction, the defense played, outstanding!! They are the pride of this team, and without them, we would have lost by 30 easily. A ton of turnovers and weak special teams play is usually the recipe for getting blown. We gotta give credit to the D.

Reaction Score
Whitmer doesn't have a strong arm. it seems like his deep ball float too much, it doesn't have that zip. Plus, he definately needs to make better decisions. Believe it or not there were open receivers, he just didn't see them nor could he get the ball to them consistantly. So far he has 5 picks and 0 touchdowns in two games.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Crowd was great in the first quarter. When it takes over a full quarter to generate a first down not resulting from a penalty, the enthusiasm gets sucked out of everyone. End of story. The crowd got a second wind when we had the first big pass to Williams. False start. QB falls down. Crowd is dead again. In the 4th quarter the crowd was begging for a reason to care. They finally got it and erupted. That was one of the most boring first 42 minutes of football I have seen in a long long time. The crowd came ready for this game and the team took them out of it.

Our offensive line is abysmal. We could not run as a result. Their secondary is very good. They knew we had to pass to have a chance to move the ball. Good secondary + knowing the pass is coming = Bad things for an average at best passing team. All game you just knew that to win we needed a special teams or defensive TD. Their punt team did a great job with hang time and coverage. I think Williams was only able to receive and not fair catch one punt and he got maybe 2 yards on the play.

Our defense is the best in the conference.

My final point, when your offense is struggling to generate anything and your defense is flat out dominating, how do you not go for a 4th and 1 on the 39. Worst case you don't get it and your defense shuts them down and you do it all over again. Instead we punted and they botched it so the ball comes out to the 20. Congratulations, we gained 19 yards of field position.
Well said, Mets.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Correction, the defense played, outstanding!! They are the pride of this team, and without them, we would have lost by 30 easily. A ton of turnovers and weak special teams play is usually the recipe for getting blown. We gotta give credit to the D.

To put this UConn defense into perspective; NCState turned the ball over 4 times against Tennessee and was still able to put 3 touchdowns up on the board. We gave them 3 extra possessions today (4-1 turnovers), and they could only put up 10 points. Sheezus!!!

Reaction Score
Yeah, but that would have been a 47 yarder into the wind. I'm not going to fault him on that, especially since he has already stated that his comfort zone with Christen is around 45 yards or shorter. I thought it was the right call, to be honest.

Very valid point.

Reaction Score

I'm more talking about the silly mistakes. The penalties, Whitmer falling down, the turnovers, the ridiculous play calling.

Even with all of that, the defense was great. And if Trevardo gets to Glennon literally a split second earlier on that touchdown pass, UConn probably ends up winning.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm more talking about the silly mistakes. The penalties, Whitmer falling down, the turnovers, the ridiculous play calling.

Even with all of that, the defense was great. And if Trevardo gets to Glennon literally a split second earlier on that touchdown pass, UConn probably ends up winning.

I was thinking the same thing on the Glennon pass. Also, think about the fact that it was a picture-perfect pass and an outstretched catch. They found one perfect play, and it turned out that it was enough to beat us. Back to the whiskey...

Reaction Score
Coach P still can't manage the clock. I have no idea what he was doing at the end of the first half.

Sad to see an incredible defensive effort wasted because of offensive ineptitude...

Reaction Score
Another scoop of vanilla, George. Deleone is so unimaginative, it is inept on a struggling offense. He is not doing his boys any favors. A good coordinator can make up for lapses in offensive production by scheming and adapting. I feel like I could sniff out every play he was going to run. Those third down and shorts were abysmal and the wrong personnel were on the field constantly. That is the job of a coordinator to adapt the game to meet the challenge. If I were coach P, I would have to have a serious doubt with Deleone's abilities and would kick his butt back into shape as soon as he tries serving up his dry pie with another scoop of gluey vanilla. The only thing I don't blame on Deleone are the procedure penalties, whitmer's two stumbles after the snap, the fumble by Delahunt.

Can anyone else tell me why McCombs is the only back out there? What about a Delorenzo and Osiecki or McQuillan. Thank you for our defense. I wish we had Shamar back though.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The one thing that I keep thinking about is the fact that Foley is no longer our O-Line coach, and I think it shows. I need to put out a thread on the Boneyard asking our members who have been football coaches at one level or another how they feel about the following statements that I'm going to make (because I'm clearly NOT a coach!):

1) I don't see any of the guard pulls that UConn was so famous for over the last 7 or 8 years. The type of guard pulls that normally open up that gap for the north-south run, and are now non-existent, to my somewhat untrained eye.

2) I'm seeing personnel changes on the O-Line during the game (i.e., Cruz). I thought that was sacrilege when it came to an offensive line, because everyone has to be in sync with each other and the QB. Unless someone was dinged up, this is the second consecutive week that we are doing that.

Both of these facts (if they are indeed facts) suggest to me that we need to get Foley back as the OLine coach. I haven't made up my mind yet whether or not I'm bothered with DeLeone's playcalling, but the OLine certainly seems like it has taken several steps back, and I'm just not convinced it has anything to do with the talent level of the players...

Reaction Score
What I learned.

1. Collectively, our fans suck. More people at UMass game. Those that came were loud. Those that stayed were loud. First cloudburst and hundreds headed for the exits. It was the second quarter. Place should have been packed today.

2. Pasqualoni sounded like Edsall in the post game. " Just need to execute better".

3. I'm glad Deleone replaced Foley coaching the O line. That zone blocking scheme is not working at all. Hell, when we didn't have a QB, at least we could run it down people's throats. Now, nothing.

4. Last week I said that it looked like we had a QB. Now, not so sure.

5. Not quite sure why we cannot get the ball to Ryan Griffin.

6. P's time management continues to be awful. End of first half was atrocious.

7. Good to meet Jarhead and his blue solo cup

8. Kevin Nathan talks a lot but doesn't say anything

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, because I'm sure that most of the fans at the game don't have a wife who's 8 months pregnant. Thanks for your concern...

While I feel your pain, you know about calendars right? :)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
While I feel your pain, you know about calendars right? :)

That's the problem with the cold months....you gotta stay warm somehow, right?? ;)

Reaction Score
What I learned.

1. Collectively, our fans suck. More people at UMass game. Those that came were loud. Those that stayed were loud. First cloudburst and hundreds headed for the exits. It was the second quarter. Place should have been packed today.

2. Pasqualoni sounded like Edsall in the post game. " Just need to execute better".

3. I'm glad Deleone replaced Foley coaching the O line. That zone blocking scheme is not working at all. Hell, when we didn't have a QB, at least we could run it down people's throats. Now, nothing.

4. Last week I said that it looked like we had a QB. Now, not so sure.

5. Not quite sure why we cannot get the ball to Ryan Griffin.

6. P's time management continues to be awful. End of first half was atrocious.

7. Good to meet Jarhead and his blue solo cup

8. Kevin Nathan talks a lot but doesn't say anything
He's thinking about his wonderful days in division 3 :confused:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's the problem with the cold months....you gotta stay warm somehow, right?? ;)

That's the beauty of post-game - generally is going to keep you out of the next season unless you've impregnated an elephant or gone to the GMAC bowl.

Reaction Score
Yeah, because I'm sure that most of the fans at the game don't have a wife who's 8 months pregnant. Thanks for your concern...

Before my wife died we went to games on off-chemo weeks. True. I was there and 1. This should have sold-out. 2. Get your 's in the seat before the guys come out.

And wanted to add, think about the beauty of delivering at the Rent. My middle daughter was born at home, what a better story you could have. You could name the child Section 241!!!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Before my wife died we went to games on off-chemo weeks. True. I was there and 1. This should have sold-out. 2. Get your 's in the seat before the guys come out.

Sorry to hear about your wife, Stinger. She sounded like a true Husky. And I agree with your two points...

Reaction Score
What I learned today...our line is horrible...and P's seat may be starting to get warm! Our AD learned his craft at his alma mater where winning games is expected! Too many more debacles like we had today on offense and I can't see Warde Manuel keeping P around long! I was at the game...fans have to follow the students lead...we need to get loud..especially when we are on D and it is 3rd down!

Reaction Score
dont have stomach to watch DVR but wasn't penalty in this sequence near end of first half related to wildcat switch?
Uconn 2-3 at Uconn33 WHITMER, Chan. pass complete to Williams, Nick for 30 yards to the NCSU37, 1ST DOWN UCONN (BISHOP, Brandon).
Uconn 1-10 at Ncsu37 PENALTY UCONN false start (Friend, Kevin) 5 yards to the NCSU42.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When you have three different players calling snaps how can you not expect false starts on the cadence change?

For the size of the debacle they had a total of 26 penalty yards - 1/3 what NCSU had - not why they lost.

Reaction Score
agreed penalties were not a problem today, but switching to wildcat in that situation - which killed momentum after a long gain - was one of many poor offensive coaching decisions today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom