WHAT I BELIEVE ABOUT BOB DIACO | Page 4 | The Boneyard

WHAT I BELIEVE ABOUT BOB DIACO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"The difference IMO, is the consistent and well spread out level of competition kids in these "football states" compete against. I am under the impression, the level of talent these kids face year after year and week after week in the "football states" is better and the some teams are made up of many more 2* athletes than non football states. While yearly, the top 4 and 5 star athletes come from many of these football states, their teammates often make up a good mix of the 2 and 3 star athletes as well. Not saying all of them, but I am sure you can find a lot of good talent on many teams in those states you have highlighted."

This ^^^ is exactly what I'm saying.

Reaction Score
"The difference IMO, is the consistent and well spread out level of competition kids in these "football states" compete against. I am under the impression, the level of talent these kids face year after year and week after week in the "football states" is better and the some teams are made up of many more 2* athletes than non football states. While yearly, the top 4 and 5 star athletes come from many of these football states, their teammates often make up a good mix of the 2 and 3 star athletes as well. Not saying all of them, but I am sure you can find a lot of good talent on many teams in those states you have highlighted."

This ^^^ is exactly what I'm saying.
Disregard my main point I see. What I am saying and did say, it's difficult for a school like UConn in New England to poach more than one of these kids at a time and convince them to come play for a school like UConn. As I said, what you are hoping for is easier said than done. We all want players from the "football states" that's where the true talent is. Those kids play ball all year long. Let's be realistic. Kids from Texas don't often come to CT to play football, they have many other better options.

Reaction Score
Disregard my main point I see. What I am saying and did say, it's difficult for a school like UConn in New England to poach more than one of these kids at a time and convince them to come play for a school like UConn. As I said, what you are hoping for is easier said than done. We all want players from the "football states" that's where the true talent is. Those kids play ball all year long. Let's be realistic. Kids from Texas don't often come to CT to play football, they have many other better options.

I didn't disregard your point, you broke down what I was stating and I thought I should point that out.

Reaction Score
* Not all coaches can coach a 2* player to a 3 or 4* player like Edsall did here.

No, but that's a type of coach we need, and hopefully Diaco ends up being that guy. Nobody is going to come in here and magically have us consistently beat out p5 schools for higher ranked players right away. That's ok, you shouldn't need to do that to have success in this conference. If Diaco can get his system in place, and get guys who fit the system, we should get better, then we can think about landing some more talented players and winning some of those battles.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry Carl stars do matter, nothings perfect, so of course there's some flaws, but for some to say the star system is just for show is ridiculous. Yes, it's part for fans, but at the same time these recruiting sites put effort in evaluating a lot of these athletes.

We recruit majority of 2* players and then when we can barely beat STONY BROOK, or lose to Tulane, Army, etc... that's when we say we lack talent. The same people who say we lack talent are the ones who defend the 2* players. Most, not all, impact players in D1 football are 3, 4, and 5 * recruits and that's a fact. Two star recruits are projects, not all can come in right away and compete, most you have to red shirt. Unlike most 4 and 5 * players, they can come in and make an impact immediately. If we want to win and compete with the best then we HAVE to focus on at least recruiting more 3* star athletes than 2* athletes. We have according to Rivals four 3* players and 16 or 17 2* players for 2015.

Diaco recruited a lot of 3, 4, and 5 star players at Notre Damn, and at the same time he says recruiting stars doesn't mean anything.

Stars don't matter (that much). Programs like Michigan State and Oregon, among others, have built their programs on developing kids who aren't highly recruited (3* or lower). It all revolves around development more than anything else. Getting plug and play players (4* and up) are usually just icing on the cake for the Ohio States and Alabamas of the world.

Reaction Score
More than not, two star athletes who come from football states usually end up really good players in college. A kid from Texas ( A known football state ) who receives a two star from the recruiting sites has a lot more upside in college than a kid from, let's say, New Hampshire where it's not known as a football state. Players from Texas are different animals compared to players in states like New Hampshire.

If we're going to recruit two star athletes which I'm okay with, just not a whole recruiting class full of them, then let's recruit the two star players out of states where football is a religion, such as Texas, Cali, Florida, etc... not from MA, NY, NH, VT, etc... because more likely than not they won't have a lot of upside.

So a 2* from a "football state" is under-rated and a 3* from a "non-football state" is over-rated?

Are Ohio and NJ "football states"?

Reaction Score
So a 2* from a "football state" is under-rated and a 3* from a "non-football state" is over-rated?

Are Ohio and NJ "football states"?

Ohio and NJ qualifies as football states. Look, I think you understand where I'm coming from your just trying to nit pick because you disagree with my point. I lived in Florida for 4 years I know what football means to those kids in these "football states" and I played football up here growing up, I'm telling you it's a big difference. I guess people who has witnessed living down south or Cali understands where I'm coming from.

Reaction Score
Geno gets players from all over. It doesn't matter what states are involved, it is the program that matters more. UCONN women have no problem recruiting from everywhere because their program is so strong. I fwe could build up the football program as well, I believe we could attract several players from Texas or Florida. this will take time, but not out of the question. Kevin Ollie is doing a good job recruiting from different states also. I know that football rules the roost and right now our program is in its infancy, but we will have to be patient with the football program as it stands now.

Reaction Score
Carl, don't buy into that BS, AAU status and transcripts do not matter...it's big time college athletics. On field performance, fan support/TV ratings, merch dollars that's what matters.
Hopefully it matters to the recruits. Not all of them are going to the next level so a good education might come in handy at "their next level".

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I've read similar comment on this forum this season. Can someone please define what people mean when they say "Diaco does (or want to do) things the right way" and "Diaco could've taken short cuts to get more wins"? Please define these two concepts for me. From my understanding, all coaches are judged by wins and losses. This isn't pee wee league (where I'm sure parents also care about wins and losses). Not many coaches lose the majority of their games but graduate players, build character etc. and keep their jobs (and no, I don't mean that Diaco should be fired).

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
In football there is only one truth and Al Davis had it right. "Win, baby, Win."
Everything else is just an excuse, a story. Building character, school reputation is baloney.
Doing things the right way? Means nothing if you lose.
Jameis Winton, raped(maybe) a girl, had it video taped, robbed a store and has half the state of Florida cheering for him every weekend.
His coach can get any job he wants except Alabama's. His team is going to the championships.
The unemployment lines are crowded with high character coaches who failed to win.
Even a Sandusky was tolerated because Penn St. won.
Who was it that said, "Winning isn't everything, its the only thing?"
That guy has his own New Jersey rest stop.
Losers talk about building character in young men, winners polish trophies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

No - but no issue getting Florida kids - a 2star recruit in Florida is MOST likely to have played with and against better competition than a 2 star from CT or RI - and they most likely have been coached much better and come to school with a higher FB IQ.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
In football there is only one truth and Al Davis had it right. "Win, baby, Win."
Everything else is just an excuse, a story. Building character, school reputation is baloney.
Jameis Winton, raped(maybe) a girl, had it video taped, robbed a store and has half the state of Florida cheering for him every weekend.
His coach can get any job he wants except Alabama's. His team is going to the championships.
The unemployment lines are crowded with high character coaches who failed to win.

You're rooting for the wrong program. 1990s-era The U is thattaway.

Reaction Score

Did you ever hear of a man named John Wooden? Real Loser eh!

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
And just how many UCLA BB coaches have been fired for lack of winning since Wooden left forty years ago. Everyone of them.

Reaction Score

If that's the tack UConn chose to take in order to win I would rather lose.

Reaction Score
I would rather have players from non football states than a player like Jamesis Winston, who is a thug. I would rather have a QB who loses to a winless team than a QB who steals seafood from Big Y. (Winston took seafood from Publix).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I will steal the frigging seafood myself for some wins. If that is the worst thing someone does it would make you the best behaved team in the country.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And just how many UCLA BB coaches have been fired for lack of winning since Wooden left forty years ago. Everyone of them.

Actually, Harrick was fired for being a scumbag. And it wouldn't be the last time that happened.

Reaction Score
In less than 2 years there has been 3 head coaches and 3 different offensive coordinators-offenses. No organization can be successful with this constant change. Only consistency can bring success

Reaction Score

Your entire post is pathetic and quite frankly unbelievable. After reading it a second time the Sandusky comment really hit me like a ton of bricks. You can't be serious. I don't even want to debate this. That is just a sick.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I believe he has taken the optimism and enthusiasm of TJ Wiest and turned the clock backwards. Do not give 2 ts about smoothies and nutrition. Eye test, backwards.
He is Peter Pan, that is what I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom