What Hurts the Sun Franchise | The Boneyard

What Hurts the Sun Franchise

Reaction Score
I hate to be that guy, but there are a few issues with the CT Sun as a franchise that are rarely discussed, if not taboo to mention.

First, the Sun have issues attracting big stars in the free agency market (exception Bonner), who often opt for bigger and "flashier" markets like Minny, Vegas, Phoenix, etc. The Sun are rarely EVER in contention for big names. This means that the Sun generally must home-grow their talent through either the draft (Jonquel/Brionna Jones) or by acquiring underrated/underutilized players trying to prove themselves in the league (Jasmine Thomas). Then, once these players grow and develop, the franchise must pray that they don't leave for more money or a bigger market for their prime years (see Courtney Williams and Tina Charles). Fortunately, the Sun have been somewhat lucky recently in this regard, but with the new CBA, stars are demanding more money than ever. The Sun are paying out big $$$ to Bonner and Alyssa Thomas and may not be able to pay Jonquel her worth this off-season.

This is without even mentioning the fact that many current WNBA players have burned bridges with Coach Miller, the Sun franchise, or the state of Connecticut in some form or fashion (Cambage, Lexie Brown, Ogwumike sisters, Arike, Diggins, Parker are a few that come to mind). I know for certain that CT has a bad taste in the mouth of many in the WNBA for one reason or another, making it even harder to attract big free agents IMHO.

Yet, often times, the Sun succeed in developing what talent they DO have and overachieve in the regular season, only to lose to a franchise with an unstoppable force in the playoffs (see EDD, Taurasi, Griner, Parker, Sloot). What do they get for their efforts? A late first-round or second round WNBA draft pick, who often rides the bench or is traded.

Rise and Repeat. What say you?

Reaction Score
LOL!! Appreciate you putting my home state (Minny) in the "flashier" market category. We never get that kind of love. So I appreciate that. Great points for the most part. Connecticut Sun is right on the cusp of finishing the deal in order to win a title. They just struggled in the playoffs with finishing and decision making. Those bad shots, the turnovers, and going scoreless for minutes at a time is going to hurt any team. I think Coach Curt Miller does a great job of developing a system that works with the talent that he has around him, which has the Sun among the ELITE teams of the WNBA.

Reaction Score
LOL!! Appreciate you putting my home state (Minny) in the "flashier" market category. We never get that kind of love. So I appreciate that. Great points for the most part. Connecticut Sun is right on the cusp of finishing the deal in order to win a title. They just struggled in the playoffs with finishing and decision making. Those bad shots, the turnovers, and going scoreless for minutes at a time is going to hurt any team. I think Coach Curt Miller does a great job of developing a system that works with the talent that he has around him, which has the Sun among the ELITE teams of the WNBA.
Minny deserves that label!! The Lynx have had their fair share of big free agency signings in recent years (Fowles, Mcbride, Powers) and that speaks to what Reeve has built there. I agree, Miller has done an outstanding job with the talent he's had. I can only imagine how well he would do if he had an established veteran star who could take over in clutch playoff moments that require near perfection. That way, the chances of having those bad shots, turnovers, and droughts that you mentioned are greatly reduced. Unfortunately, at this time, Jonquel Jones just isn't a "closer" in big games despite being a rising star.

Reaction Score
The big challenge to me for the Sun is their remote location when compared to other teams/markets. The team receives solid support and I think Miller is a good coach. Something is missing for sure though and I think they need a good 2 guard. January is fine but they need a good scorer in the backcourt to help out J Thomas, who isn't a good outside shooter.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The original poster's reference to "burning bridges" mentions three players (Parker, Diggins, and Arike) whose only cause of friction with anyone in Connecticut is with Geno or UConn, not with the Sun or Coach Miller. Do you really think they would pass up a professional opportunity that was otherwise attractive to them because of a problem with people whose only connection to the Sun is that they live within 30 miles of the home arena?

You also mention Cambage, who might be PO-ed at Miller because of his comment (in the heat of the moment) about her weight. But she is not the kind of player whom I think the Sun would be interested in -- more of a 'tude than they want to deal with, and not someone who has ever played near her potential.

Lexie Brown is hardly a major talent lost -- I think Natisha Hiedeman is a better player than her in just about every dimension.

I don't know the inside story with Chiney Ogwumike. I thought she left to play with her sister and to play in a city where she might get more opportunities for a media career. Are you aware of other factors?

I do share your concern about whether they will be able to keep Jonquel Jones, given salary cap constraints. But if the dollars can be worked out, my sense is that JJ would like to stay where she is.

Reaction Score
The original poster's reference to "burning bridges" mentions three players (Parker, Diggins, and Arike) whose only cause of friction with anyone in Connecticut is with Geno or UConn, not with the Sun or Coach Miller. Do you really think they would pass up a professional opportunity that was otherwise attractive to them because of a problem with people whose only connection to the Sun is that they live within 30 miles of the home arena?

You also mention Cambage, who might be PO-ed at Miller because of his comment (in the heat of the moment) about her weight. But she is not the kind of player whom I think the Sun would be interested in -- more of a 'tude than they want to deal with, and not someone who has ever played near her potential.

Lexie Brown is hardly a major talent lost -- I think Natisha Hiedeman is a better player than her in just about every dimension.

I don't know the inside story with Chiney Ogwumike. I thought she left to play with her sister and to play in a city where she might get more opportunities for a media career. Are you aware of other factors?

I do share your concern about whether they will be able to keep Jonquel Jones, given salary cap constraints. But if the dollars can be worked out, my sense is that JJ would like to stay where she is.
What ever players have an issue with Connecticut because of Geno, your not in college any more this is the pros time to grow up. If this is really the case, only speculation

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom