What have we seen through 2 games? | The Boneyard

What have we seen through 2 games?

Reaction Score
A Quarterback who is an absolute turnover machine. For every nice throw he makes he either has a turnover or near turnover. He never feels pressure and what exactly was that INT by the DL supposed to be? Where he threw that there were nothing but OL in the area.

DBs that don't turn their heads and the attempts to jam the WRs are hilariously bad.

The 1st tackler NEVER makes the tackle and they don't wrap at all.

The OL never picks up the blitzer and every 3rd down is a jail break.

Any others?

I bought the whole bigger, faster, stronger narrative and that the year off was a necessary "redshirt" for the entire year. They are worse. If we are being truthful, it was never THIS bad under Diaco.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
A rollicking scheisen show. Sorry for the players, but this is a bad FCS team.

Reaction Score
Tough watching them spread and run up the middle. Think we had a lot of 2nd and longs. The Qb is a hot mess.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We've seen a team that can't run, a QB who can't throw, LB who can't tackle and a defense that gives up 40 a minimum of 40 pts a game.

Whatever Randy is telling them to do, they ain't doin' it.

PP lost to Towson and I thought that was the low point of the program. Nope, it's today.

Changing the QB is so obvious but I don't think that changes the results all that much but it's the only thing you can do to give you a chance to improve. I can't even judge the OL pass protection because the QB is so horrible at delivering the ball on time.

The new over/under on wins is 0.5 and I think the smart bet is on the under. Are we even competitive in any remaining game other than Yale?

Regarding taking last year off, the answer is also obvious. If was worth it only if you wanted to avoid 4 or 5 more losses being added to the losing streak.

And I'm out of ideas on how to turn this program around. I don't think any coach is the answer. Is our ceiling as a program now 5 wins? Are we even trying to compete inside Shenkman?

Reaction Score
I'm still generally bullish on the defense. They're young coming off more than a year without playing. They've given up 900 yards and 69 points through two games which isn't great. But take away 3 plays of 75+ yards with piss poor tackling and we get 200 yards and 21 points back. A third of the Touchdowns given up they started in UConn territory.

I thought they were pretty good overall vs Holy Cross. Tackle better on that one 75 yard run and if Myles Bell was competent we hold HC to low 200s yardage, 21 or so points, and leave with a W - but it didn't turn out that way. And that's without considering the gifts Jack Zergiotis gave to HC.

We have a FBS level-defense that still isn't at full strength and has had a few self-inflicted mistakes that lead to big plays.

Offense? Play-calling sucks. We don't start our best RB or QB. Jack Zergiotis shouldn't be a D1 QB never mind starter. Our line blows. Our best skill player is out for the year. In general, I like our WRs and TEs - only positive I see.

Reaction Score
I'm still generally bullish on the defense. They're young coming off more than a year without playing. They've given up 900 yards and 69 points through two games which isn't great. But take away 3 plays of 75+ yards with piss poor tackling and we get 200 yards and 21 points back. A third of the Touchdowns given up they started in UConn territory.

I thought they were pretty good overall vs Holy Cross. Tackle better on that one 75 yard run and if Myles Bell was competent we hold HC to low 200s, 21 or so points, and leave with a W - but it didn't turn out that way.

We have a FBS level-defense that still isn't at full strength and has had a few self-inflicted mistakes that lead to big plays.

Offense? Play-calling sucks. We don't start our best RB or QB. Jack Zergiotis shouldn't be a D1 QB never mind starter. Our line blows. Our best skill player is out for the year. In general, I like our WRs and TEs - only positive I see.
Serious question, did you ever play football?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well, UMass finally scored vs PItt in 4th quarter thanks to a bad snap and fumble by Pitt, making it 37-7 with 14 minutes left. So it's official, UMass is better than UConn.

Reaction Score
Serious question, did you ever play football?
Nope. I did work for the UConn program for four years. But I guess this will earn me a snarky comment for trying to see positives in what we have.

Reaction Score
Well, UMass finally scored vs PItt in 4th quarter thanks to a bad snap and fumble by Pitt, making it 37-7 with 14 minutes left. So it's official, UMass is better than UConn.

Who isn't?

Reaction Score
Nope. I did work for the UConn program for four years. But I guess this will earn me a snarky comment for trying to see positives in what we have.

I can tell.. I’ll leave it at that.

Reaction Score
A head coach that is totally out of touch with how football is played in 2021 and continues to try to run the same plays, the same sets, the same strategy, the same personnel irregardless of the outcome.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Can we at least try to identify and hire a good one?

I don't think we have a choice. It's hard to do worse than winning zero, but winning 1 or 2 isn't really an improvement.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
A head coach that is totally out of touch with how football is played in 2021 and continues to try to run the same plays, the same sets, the same strategy, the same personnel irregardless of the outcome.

I was thinking the opposite. The attempt at modern spread sets was abysmal.

I was hoping to see a power running game this season at minimum. Overpower those your can't outplay. The FB power I-formation lead would have been enough to win today. No one does that any more.

Reaction Score
A Quarterback who is an absolute turnover machine. For every nice throw he makes he either has a turnover or near turnover. He never feels pressure and what exactly was that INT by the DL supposed to be? Where he threw that there were nothing but OL in the area.

DBs that don't turn their heads and the attempts to jam the WRs are hilariously bad.

The 1st tackler NEVER makes the tackle and they don't wrap at all.

The OL never picks up the blitzer and every 3rd down is a jail break.

Any others?

I bought the whole bigger, faster, stronger narrative and that the year off was a necessary "redshirt" for the entire year. They are worse. If we are being truthful, it was never THIS bad under Diaco.
Diarrhea masquerading as football.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the opposite. The attempt at modern spread sets was abysmal.

I was hoping to see a power running game this season at minimum. Overpower those your can't outplay. The FB power I-formation lead would have been enough to win today. No one does that any more.
You’re correct, yet he is still stuck in his ways.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

I thought they were pretty good overall vs Holy Cross. Tackle better on that one 75 yard run and if Myles Bell was competent we hold HC to low 200s yardage, 21 or so points, and leave with a W - but it didn't turn out that way. And that's without considering the gifts Jack Zergiotis gave to HC.

Its hard to argue with a "take away the worst scoring plays and they have given up less yards and points" argument. I mean, just take away my flabby stomach and I have a 6-pack.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom