What happens if Uconn does not get an ACC invitation? | The Boneyard

What happens if Uconn does not get an ACC invitation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was thinking about this earlier. It seems like the ACC has all the leverage because everyone is knocking on their door. Some people are talking like its a lock we will go there, but what happens if the ACC says they are ok with 14 schools after the dust settles or just simply does not include Uconn. Where can Uconn turn then?

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this earlier. It seems like the ACC has all the leverage because everyone is knocking on their door. Some people are talking like its a lock we will go there, but what happens if the ACC says they are ok with 14 schools after the dust settles or just simply does not include Uconn. Where can Uconn turn then?
The BE would have no choice but to try and add at least 3 football schools. Possibilities could be UCF and Baylor and there are others.Kansas and K-State could come as a last resort. I would expect the BE to lose BCS status.
Right now the ACC is Uconn's only hope.I have a feeling that the ACC isn't going to invite any additional schools until the dust settles if at all.

Reaction Score
I dont know but to only have the chance to play Duke and UNC once a year and at our place every other year and then have to play a bunch of crap ACC teams would be very frustrating especially after coming from the big east

Reaction Score
Well, the bunch of ACC schools in UConn's division would be Pitt, Cuse, BC, Rutgers, Maryland, VaTech and Virginia. Not a bad group to hold home/home with. Certainly better than what we would play in leftovers of BE.

Reaction Score
This is really gonna test my loyalty if it happens...I've been a uconn fan forever, but I'm kind of required to root for uva seeing as I actually went to school there...

Reaction Score
This is really gonna test my loyalty if it happens...I've been a uconn fan forever, but I'm kind of required to root for uva seeing as I actually went to school there...

true but no offense, i'm sure it would be a bigger problem if UVA was actually good at basketball and football.

Reaction Score
If the PAC 10 expands to 16 teams, as expected this week, look for the SEC, B-10, & ACC to follow suite. All by the end of this week.

Reaction Score
Hopefully FSU and/or VaTech head to the SEC and the ACC comes running to us.

Reaction Score
So, if Rutgers goes with us to the ACC and they split into 2 divisions, conceivably, our division could include:

UCONN
BC
Cuse
Pitt
Rutgers
Va Tech
Miami

Hmmm....looks sorta familiar...circa 2002 or so...

Reaction Score
If the PAC 10 expands to 16 teams, as expected this week, look for the SEC, B-10, & ACC to follow suite. All by the end of this week.

Why do they follow suit (asking nicely)? I still think the B10 keeps a slot open for ND for eternity. And the SEC could also hold at 14.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
They probably end up in different divisions... so you only have to test that loyalty once every couple of years... or so. :p

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You bring up a good possibility. The answer is no one knows. The trade off for UConn will be trying to create a BCS type conference for football in exchange for a conference with a horrible geography for all sports. Or UConn can let football slide and stay with the BE. I can't see that happening. The ACC or the B1G is UConn's best choice but imo I would have preferred the BE staying intact.

Reaction Score
UConn would be in trouble. Other schools would be enjoying enormous revenue boosts as a result of being in one of the "super conferences" while UConn would be trying to survive on scraps. I don't think UConn basketball would be screwed, but it would be much harder to maintain a high level of success without a guaranteed regular season schedule consisting of top 25 teams.

Reaction Score
true but no offense, i'm sure it would be a bigger problem if UVA was actually good at basketball and football.
Haha very true. Although we did beat uconn in football when I was there a few years ago

Reaction Score
Short term would be to stay in the Big East as the conference adds whatever number of D1 FB schools to keep them at or above 8. Also pray that the BSC continues to give them the automatic bid as they wait for an ACC invitation during the next round of conference raids.

Not much of a long term solution, but I don't see the B10 or any of the other BCS conferences letting us in, nor would they be good for UConn. I've heard some talk about the Big-10, but that would be a geographic nightmare among other issues, not to mention getting our FB ass's kicked in by a bunch of midwest farm boys.

It's probably been mentioned, but we can all thank the NCAAs and the BCS for this entire mess. If it were not for the BCS and their automatic and not-so-automatic bowl invitation structure, plus the NCAA's 12 team (is it 12?) minimum for allowing a Conference Championship game, I'm not sure we'd be in the mess.

Or if you care to flip this around, if they had some sort of round-robin 32 team - 4 round single elimination tournament, being part of some mega BCS conference wouldn't be nearly as critical.

Can someone explain to me how any of this is good for good of college sports and the fans? Answer: There is none. This only benefits monetarily those programs that end up in one of the BCS conferences when it's all said and done.

This whole mess has managed to kick to the curb the rich histories of some of these storied conferences. You can drive a spike in the ground when whatever happened before and after 2012 in the Big 12 and Big East have nothing to do with each other. Once the raiding of these two conferences come to a close, neither will likely look anything like what it was during their glory days. Even though the ACC, Big-10 and Pac-10 will likely hold on to their most successful charter members, these programs are going to find out that finishing on top in both FB and Hoops will not be as easy as it has been. I think the top SEC FB powers will remain at the top, though they are a very top heavy conference FB wise with a bunch of programs that beat the heck out of each other most years. It's similar with the Big-10 though Nebraska will make some noise in FB. Basketball will likely be unaffected.

It has also messed up the regional practicalities that had existed with most of these conferences. (ex. TCU in Big East! Some Texas teams to the PAC-10, Northeastern teams to the ACC, which had been a mid-atlantic (MD) on down before they added BC and now SU. Why not add a Canadian college for goodness sake! The only conference that has shown some sort of sanity when it comes to regional additions is the Big 10. They've kept it to the states that either border one of the Great Lakes or are one state removed. Although the ACC is expanding north, they're keeping it Eastern Time Zone, and Atlantic coast states or in some cases one state removed. Pretty much what the Big East decided to do when it ventured south and added the FL schools though they ventured west as well reaching into Indiana for ND, not quite as west with WVU before recently reaching well out of region for TCU. That move was clearly one of desperation, which in the end doesn't look like will help either the BE or TCU.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Excellent post.

It is hard for me to determine if the conferences could have gotten away with the BCS format if television didn't support or promote it.

Reaction Score
Kansas and Kstate, Baylor additions would hold their own in basketball, actually maybe make it better. Football would be competitive with TCU, and WV being the class until WVU leaves. Geography as mentioned would be awful.

Reaction Score
The conference would probably lose our automatic BCS bid for football.
Bball would still be good but with so many new teams it would feel like a very long out of conference schedule playing a bunch of teams with little to no past history to speak of.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
IF WE DON'T GET THE BID

titanic_sinking_atlantic.jpg

Reaction Score
Kansas and Kstate, Baylor additions would hold their own in basketball, actually maybe make it better. Football would be competitive with TCU, and WV being the class until WVU leaves. Geography as mentioned would be awful.
Geography in general has been thrown out the window. The leadership variable within the BE conference is highly suspect to say the least. Adding KU, KSU & BU would be a nice answer to the current departures. PITT is a do nothing in the NCAA tournament year afte year. Kansas has more basketball tradition then SU. Baylor over the next few years especially this year will be heard on the national stage in hoops. We would lose the Syracuse/Pitt rivalries but we could survive and prosper. I just don't think the stars are aligned to bring these schools in though. Leadership is non existent.

Reaction Score
Why do they follow suit (asking nicely)? I still think the B10 keeps a slot open for ND for eternity. And the SEC could also hold at 14.
The general feeling is every major conference will eventually expand to 16 teams. If the PAC 12 invites Tex. Okla etc. the other conferences will then scramble to get the best available teams. I agree that ND is B10 bound.

Reaction Score
I think it is a moot point as I think UConn is gone to the ACC. However, it could be possible to salvage the Big East in an incarnation which would allow the basketball team to continue to thrive if UConn doesn't go to the ACC. I see the conference adding teams, obviously, and dividing into two divisions (football and non-football). They COULD look something like this:

Football Division:
USF
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
Rutgers
Connecticut
TCU
Temple or UCF (assuming ND refuses to join the football conference and we can't get Kansas)

Non-Football Division:
St. John's
Georgetown
Villanova
Marquette
Seton Hall
Providence
DePaul
Xavier or Butler

While losing Pitt is a big loss in both basketball and football, losing Syracuse is not a big loss for football. TCU is better than Pitt in football and Temple could be better than Syracuse. Temple and either Xavier or Butler would be solid additions for basketball, even if not quite at the same level as Pitt and Syracuse. If ND joins the football conference along with TCU, this is still very much a BCS conference. I think that is still true if we can somehow manage to poach Kansas. Both are long shots though.

Reaction Score
What do we do? Well that's obvious. We give back our 3 National Championships and join the A10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom