What happened tothat intense pressure on D we saw from the bginning of Mich State? | The Boneyard

What happened tothat intense pressure on D we saw from the bginning of Mich State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It looked like we were playing up in your face full court trapping D and we used team speed to create offense against what i would call a good solid team with good athletes. The offense that night was aggressive and concise which showed by our shooting %. We have not played the same way since. To compete and win--it is of my opinion that we have to start and play 40 minutes of up tempo basketball and we must make 3's. Play drive and kick basketball 4 outside 3 one in the box and pick up with a full court 1-3-1 trap(atleast for sections of the game) also would like to see zone if we run into rebounding troubles for sections as well. We have the athletes and team speed to win games. We cant go 1-14 from 3 were too good to do that. Pick the pace up from minute 1 lay up open shot or 3.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Honestly, the team has looked worse with each passing game.

Maybe that win vs MSU created a false sense of validation amongst the team... no sense of urgency amongst the team anymore

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
What happened? Stony Brook and UNH happened.

These teams are a bore-fest and, right or wrong, the kids have a hard time getting motivated for them.

Reaction Score
Lack of depth and quality bigs. With Evans out, essentially, we have 2 guards, 3 wings that don't have great handles, 2 bigs that aren't dominant, and a couple other players that aren't getting much time. This team has to pace themselves as they can't press too much. Also, I don't think Napier is 100% as he has lost his quickness.

Reaction Score
I know it's hard to get up for UNH and SB, but they looked like crap amd have NCS coming up. I think KO owns their lethargic play. He has to do a better job getting the kids prepared to play. This is a critical time for KO and this is where he makes his bones.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
First: the players have to be a little more careful not to get in foul trouble without RJE.
Second: the team actually ran some full court press yesterday resulting in two turnovers.
Third: I felt yesterdays defense by RB, SN and OC was terrific. They were making things very difficult for NH's guards and they rarely lost their players particular SN and RB.
Fourth: EW's defense in the first half was a film for how to do everything wrong. TO's and DD's defense in the second half also belonged on that film.
Fifth: DD's defense in the first half was great. The second foul was a phantom foul and unfortunately the kid never recovered from it. EW really turned it around the second half. Totally different player with just one incredibly bad decision coming out to the perimeter and then totally losing track of his own player.
Sixth: NG was solid if not spectacular in this game of D. He was much better in the SB game!

Reaction Score
I also think that's hard to run without a good defensive big of some sort to take care of the situation when the other guys do beat the pressure. But depth is absolutely a problem. And I just don't think guys like to play that way so much any more. At the risk of sounding like an old guy, pressure d doesn't make the highlights on ESPN. And its hard to play it for a full game, again especially when you lack depth and you don't have a safety back under the basket.

Reaction Score
It looked like we were playing up in your face full court trapping D and we used team speed to create offense against what i would call a good solid team with good athletes. The offense that night was aggressive and concise which showed by our shooting %. We have not played the same way since. To compete and win--it is of my opinion that we have to start and play 40 minutes of up tempo basketball and we must make 3's. Play drive and kick basketball 4 outside 3 one in the box and pick up with a full court 1-3-1 trap(atleast for sections of the game) also would like to see zone if we run into rebounding troubles for sections as well. We have the athletes and team speed to win games. We cant go 1-14 from 3 were too good to do that. Pick the pace up from minute 1 lay up open shot or 3.

Ok I get it "we must make 3's". Hope you emailed Ollie on that. Based on Uconn's scheme to date, looks like Bazz, Boat and Calhoun play guard/wings with Giff as reserve. TO, DD, Wolf and Nolan play two up front positions. With Evans out you are suggesting a lot more pressure; hmmmm, guys look pretty beat near end of game as it is now, you might want to rethink.
Didn't realize playing zone was good for defensive rebounding. All the talking heads seem to imply just the opposite, good thing I read your post so they won't fool me any more.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The only thing I can think of is that we can't burn out our legs so soon on cupcakes. But I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom