What happened to the critical thinking? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What happened to the critical thinking?

Reaction Score
It has struck me how Turgeon looks like a turtle

856AE6E5-B891-4611-8F9F-4D646CC9270F.jpeg

Reaction Score
This team has a much more fluid and productive offense when two of the three bigs are in the game. Better spacing, better floor balance.

When we go with just Whaley, or just Sanogo, the offense devolves into 4 guards running a weave at the 3point line.

Since were inconsistent shooters, the one thing that we consistently excel at, rebounding, should never be compromised. That’s why we lost to Creighton. When Sanogo sat, Josh should’ve been brought in.

Play to our strengths: defense, rebounding, Bouk, and RJ.

Reaction Score
I only found out about The Boneyard around a year ago. It’s been a fun community to be a part of and educational on an array of topics not limited to basketball. That said, I’ve been disturbed by the reactionary and sometimes callous takes that emanate from this place. I think, for me, the board is a little more enjoyable in the off-season, when people aren’t on edge as much.
Ah yes, the honeymoon phase is over. Welcome to the real Boneyard.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I critically think this team is made up of a good bunch of guys giving us their best shot. What trying to pass for critical thinking here is mostly just chirps from the peanut gallery.

Reaction Score
@UCTitleTown, I corrected it for you.

Too many believe having someone agreeing a point of view is a display of sound thinking.
Disagreeing with a point of view means the person disagreeing is crazy, nuts or anything else.

As for discussing UConn basketball for this tourney, put me in this column. Team is inconsistent and flawed. And they are inconsistently inconsistent. If they were consistently inconsistent the coaches could work on mitigating the consistent inconsistencies.
Unfortunately when players are inconsistently inconsistent the coaches don't know if any remedies will actually lead to improvement.
Some things like getting Adama to back off going after offensive rebounds on missed FT"s can probably be coached. But I don't think there is anything SH and his staff can do to make Polley a more consistent shooter.
A conundrum!

Reaction Score
This team, which is both fun and frustrating to watch, has two major deficiencies, both on offense. It plays great defense, rebounds well, and therefore is successful against opponents who do not shoot well, since the run-and-gun game plays into its athleticism. However, the half-court offense is stagnant, and perimeter shooting is, at best, even weaker.

The poor shooting is a player issue. The half-court offense is a coaching issue.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
What happened to be relatively objective? Yes we are UConn fans but when did UConn become infallible? Did all the posters who bring a level of critical thinking get banned, have kids, move on to crypto? What happened to this place?

To keep this on topic, we are discussing UConn men’s basketball. I’ll hang up and listen.
It comes down to this my phoney friend, we all see what is going well and what isn't. If you chose to glass half empty it in a year when there's so much more to be grateful for than find fault with you're starting on thin ice. Can you express doubt in the team or coach? Sure. Can you wonder if we'll give our best effort? Absolutely!
Those who are getting piled on aren't picking through the nuance of anything, they are waxing about how unhappy they are with our coach or players in a year where its truly unacceptable to not like them. I'm not surprised the village wants these folks exiled.

There's a big difference between "I hope we can solve problems x y and z so we can see what this team is truly made of!" vs. this "team stinks because of x y and z and they will never achieve their potential."

One is enthusiasm and the other is entitlement. We like the former around here.

Reaction Score
I critically think this team is made up of a good bunch of guys giving us their best shot. What trying to pass for critical thinking here is mostly just chirps from the peanut gallery.
Well played...this had me laughing

From now on everyone should announce if their thoughts are critical thoughts or just regular thoughts

Reaction Score
Snowflake site. Say something critical you get delete thread or account.

Reaction Score
Isn't critical thinking how you're gonna hang out at Ted's Monday Night Pint Night on like 2 bucks to get drunk, smoke butts, and play foos all night? I'm just curious where my critical thinking skills are gonna land me.

Reaction Score
It comes down to this my phoney friend, we all see what is going well and what isn't. If you chose to glass half empty it in a year when there's so much more to be grateful for than find fault with you're starting on thin ice. Can you express doubt in the team or coach? Sure. Can you wonder if we'll give our best effort? Absolutely!
It's not about exuberance or wishing to run the team down. It's that this place has become near nonstop hottakes, largely from people who have no idea what they're talking about, and so the good posters are more downed out than they used to be and otherwise good posters are often in a position to assume stupidity in lieu of good faith because more likely than not the poster is clueless.

Reaction Score
What happened to be relatively objective? Yes we are UConn fans but when did UConn become infallible? Did all the posters who bring a level of critical thinking get banned, have kids, move on to crypto? What happened to this place?

To keep this on topic, we are discussing UConn men’s basketball. I’ll hang up and listen.
It is possible we are past the point of critical thinking

staring tom brady GIF by Beats By Dre

Edit: I suspect it will return

Reaction Score
It's not about exuberance or wishing to run the team down. It's that this place has become near nonstop hottakes, largely from people who have no idea what they're talking about, and so the good posters are more downed out than they used to be and otherwise good posters are often in a position to assume stupidity in lieu of good faith because more likely than not the poster is clueless.

I have only been reading this board for about 10 years since I started at uconn and haven't really noticed any difference in quality. I had friends who gave me crap for reading this site from the start due to the existence of some clowns. Its really not that hard to filter your consumption though. Use the ignore feature and don't bother reading/getting in petty pointless content (as I type this comment...) Doesn't take long to get the gist of peoples schticks and who has actual insight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not sub posting you. I would have called you specifically like I call out other stupid posters ask @CL82 about it. I’m calling out the smart posters and wondering where they’ve gone I want to talk basketball.
I’ve been questioning this myself, even mentioned the sort in a few of my recent posts.

The level of objectivism has gone away. Maybe because having an entertaining, thoughtful discussion around a team that was horrid for 5 years just didn’t appeal to most. Now that there’s a sniff of decency again, all of a sudden the talk is like we are the Huskies from 1991-2011. That just isn’t the case yet. Gotta long way to go.

Our name and history do not win games. I think many currently posting do not realize that.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
nice whine. do we have to submit some kind of 'declaration of ncaa mbb games watched' on the tube before we are permitted to comment?
if not permitted, can we still make funny farm animal sounds? i sure hope so cuz those are fun.

Reaction Score
Hilarious. There hasn't been serious "critical thinking" in this country in YEARS. Why should UConn basketball be any different ?

Also, in case you didn't notice, this site is nothing but UConn fan social media. Just being here is making us all dumber by the second. I would be surprised if the Twitter / Facebook mentality DIDN'T take over. The entire world is nothing but "hOt tAkEs" 24/7

Reaction Score
I was in critical condition soon after reading the first few posts. Now I’m code blue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom